Latest Yon Post

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What I noted was:

And near the bottom:

I thought this Yon bloke was supposed to know what he's on about? Or is he and Ross getting it on with each other?

Ref UK equipment... As the terrain is so varied, perhaps the mixed cam is deliberate?
  2. the point is there is camo out there that is supposedly good at many variations of background and is being used to good effect by SF forces so why not the other troops.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

True, but there was talk of a new hybrid cam being brought out, it was raised in the PECOC thread, the body armour modeled by the Andrew in this thread

was one of the trial patterns IIRC
  4. Just stick to the Multicam DSF has been using for years. It will boost the Green army's morale and it will make Them look a little less conspicuous....
  5. That bit with the little doll’s house was so poignant and so very typical of Michael Yon and what sets him apart from your average “war correspondent”. There are no words to express my admiration for what he does and how he does it. Reporting from Affers about both the Brits and the Septics would be a far more sanitary affair if Michael Yon wasn’t around.

He’s ex-military and as such is a fella who’s been there and done it and, additionally, has the “all-round-360º-view”; seeking to tell it like it really is in an uncensored and stark way, but also continually allowing the human factor to encroach and remind us all that wars involves human beings, and that it’s not just the kick-seeking knob from [insert TV station here] who finds it “egg-sighting” to be out on a day-trip with the lads, reporting breathlessly “from the front” with her/his: “Deyze shootin’ at us, weeze shootin' at dem. Bird drops a 600,000-ton bomb on dee ennemmee an' we iz OK”.

My faith was restored in the absolutely stolid character of the Brit squaddie when I read this:
    I was immediately transported back in time to when I was serving.

Of course, that’s just my opinion.

6. Excellent dispatch!

Shame that was his last dispatch with the brits, however we hear very little about the US marines in Helmand, so his upcoming reports should give us a clear insight.
  7. Will you "have my back" the next time I get accused of saying too much about the USMC? :D
  8. I can't read enough of Yon, he's incredible at reporting the sitation out there.
  9. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Excellent piece - very on the ground. Why other reporters are not doing this - ie reporting what actually happens on a patrol, what the effect of an IED is, etc, I don't know. The British press seem more interesting in reporting casualites than operations.
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

What do SF wear that is so different to what these guys are wearing
    Any pictures I've seen of SF seem to have mixed dress just like these lads

As for Ross Kemp he might not be a "Journo" but his two series from Afghanistan were right up their with the best bit of reporting I've seen
    They certanly brought what was happening and what our soldiers face to a wider audience and it could even be argued brought it home to the British Public what was going on out there
    I can't think of anyone whose got so close to the action as he has from the UK

Strange how Yon thinks the rations are terrible in one of the other threads the U.S. Marines are raving about how they like them

As stated another excellent despatch from Yon pity he's now finished with British Forces
  11. My experience has been that Marines in the field tend to like just about anything new and different from their usual rations, which means of course the "food" at some point ceases being "new" and the real culinary testing then begins in earnest.
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I would imagine after a month of anything they will taste crap
  13. They are not on ORP in camp (normally).

The food was pretty, erm, basic when I was there.

The problem with getting local fresh is the provenance of it. Yon says the locals don't like us then in the next breath says we should buy food from them.

Anyone else spot that small issue?
  14. Yes, it struck as me potentially difficult.