Latest Snowmageddon, or perhaps 'The Day After Tomorrow' wasn't bolleux after all?

Nah, 'The Day After Tomorrow' was hideously bad. Time for @LJONESY to rug up though!

'Two of the most dreaded words in a Midwestern weather forecast — “polar vortex” — returned this week, promising life-threatening low temperatures that could shatter records and plunge much of the region into its deepest freeze in decades.

' “This is right up there with the best of the cold waves, and we’ve had some doozies over the years,” said Tom Skilling, the chief meteorologist at WGN-TV in Chicago, where he has worked for 40 years. Mr. Skilling predicted 72 hours of subzero wind chills and 48 hours of subzero temperatures so low that “we’re going to hear buildings and outdoor objects creaking.”

'Forecasters expect Wednesday’s high temperature (yes, the high) to be minus 14 degrees Fahrenheit in Chicago and Minneapolis. If the forecast holds, that would be Chicago’s lowest high temperature for a single day since officials began keeping records. An expected low of minus 22 was expected to approach, though not surpass, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago. Officials predicted that wind chill readings could plummet to minus 50 in Chicago and minus 60 in Minneapolis.' (Minus 50F is still -45C!)

Polar Vortex to Grip Midwest With Most Extreme Cold in a Generation

I had to laugh looking at the local news with an avalanche warning for Snowdon, who'd have guessed that snow accumulating on a mountain could cause the risk of an avalanche

What shocking news

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am waiting for the UK's travel network to implode as forecasted snow actually happens. It's not like it's ever happened before, in winter........

Nah, 'The Day After Tomorrow' was hideously bad. Time for @LJONESY to rug up though!

'Two of the most dreaded words in a Midwestern weather forecast — “polar vortex” — returned this week, promising life-threatening low temperatures that could shatter records and plunge much of the region into its deepest freeze in decades.

' “This is right up there with the best of the cold waves, and we’ve had some doozies over the years,” said Tom Skilling, the chief meteorologist at WGN-TV in Chicago, where he has worked for 40 years. Mr. Skilling predicted 72 hours of subzero wind chills and 48 hours of subzero temperatures so low that “we’re going to hear buildings and outdoor objects creaking.”

'Forecasters expect Wednesday’s high temperature (yes, the high) to be minus 14 degrees Fahrenheit in Chicago and Minneapolis. If the forecast holds, that would be Chicago’s lowest high temperature for a single day since officials began keeping records. An expected low of minus 22 was expected to approach, though not surpass, the coldest temperature ever recorded in Chicago. Officials predicted that wind chill readings could plummet to minus 50 in Chicago and minus 60 in Minneapolis.' (Minus 50F is still -45C!)

Polar Vortex to Grip Midwest With Most Extreme Cold in a Generation
One does learn to appreciate heated steering wheels, and dressing appropriately for the weather. We got lucky on this one, but February fast approaches.

Waz

Old-Salt
Our local Charlies store has removed all the benches they had for sale outside the front door and replaced them with piles of sledges, so the snow MUST be coming.
Did snow a bit on the way home though.

Snow? It pissīng it down.

mrdude

War Hero
Well I live in Fife, and there's Zero snow here - seem's like the weather forecaster's are talking bollocks (as usual). If I need to know what the weather is like - I just look out the window and I get it correct 100% of the time. Unlike weather forecaster's. I assume they just look at a satellite photo and gauge wind speed and direction. If they see a big cloud in the Atlantic heading east at 50 MPH, and it's 200 miles away - they say 'Rain in 4 hours'. Generally they just guess and have a 50/50 chance of being right - but mostly they are wrong!

Latest Threads