• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Latest snowflake outrage

The managers and back office staff, all no doubt on decent salaries may not be from a meritime background, but there is a word that rhymes with 'anchor' to describe them, which may be a maritime or finincial term, as it also rhymes with "banker".

One thing you can bank on is none of these overpaid nonentities is ever likely to expose themselves to danger in the service of the RNLI.

The swamp needs to be drained in the RNLI and other charities of these overpaid wasters who are only interested in personal empire building, and until that happens the public should withold donating to these "charities".
If you know people in the RNLI, you'll know of people leaving because of ever more rules and politics. I knew that 30 years ago, it just seems to have got worse over the years

Unpaid volunteers risking their lives deserve a bit of slack

Thankfully not all charities are like that, the one I work for now, everyone from the executives downwards are earning less than they would in the private sector

It’s almost like the Daily Mail was deliberately trying to make some of their harder of thinking readership get all upset - good to see it didn’t work on @Robbo_72 or @pcar964
When all else fails, attack the character. How PC of you.

But it is true isn't it, The first one was the tea cup incident. Then this.
I am guessing there will be more.

The Lifeboat's up our way were crewed by fishermen, To a lesser extent still are, just the fishing boats are now used for tourist trips to watch fvcking birds.
When you fished for a living, as some of my family did, It was nice to know your mates & family would be there to save you if the "non-PC" shit hit the fan. The paycheque was the insurance of knowing it could be you one day being pulled from the North Sea.
Kind of like the "Im here for my mate beside me" regimental attitude.

As per the official statement, I understand most of the crews nowadays are not of this stock, indeed not of these communities as claimed.

I find it ironic that the same class of management who destroyed the livelihoods of fishermen/lifeboatmen (and likely written the statement) are now applying their nonsense to modern day crews, In those communities still need these lifeboats and the Espree de corps of the crews that have to do the job.

Hiding amongst just about every other facet of life (or upper management as is nearly always the case), The cult Political Correctness is like a Micrococcus germ.
It's like a Fecal Midas, everything it touches turns to shit :tp:. Like Midas, Most of of these appointed "kings" doing the touching are of a certain "shithead" intellect.
Most of them carry the same indoctrination "Managerial" certificates too, which is remarkable.
What is equally remarkable is how this doctrine plays out on the snowflake generation, The true children of PC.
They just accept it, even froth at it's mere questioning. :threaten:
And funny enough, Ad-hominem attacking is also favoured by the the new breed when they have lost an argument or presented with facts and uncomfortable or awkward truths.
Long march through the institutions, I think the spectacle is almost complete. Just need to criminalize un-PC'ness and were all hop-skippity-do eh.

Last edited:
I really don't know the minimum number of staff they would need to run efficiently.
I work in IT, Let me tell you there are plenty of applications and infrastructure that could do the jobs of the RNLI back orrifice. And its usually a one time payment or minimal subscription. Value for money without all the bullshit.
Maybe I should start spreading the word around the stations, A targeted digital ad here and there.
At the other end of the spectrum, AI is long way from being able to save lives in rough seas, if at all.

You could have the donations go almost in a straight line from the donors to the RNLI procurement and stations themselves.

I say give the crews the upper management jobs and have them work remotely with video conference. Win win all around. The fishing communities where the RNLI spread it's wings had their fleets decimated, Let them run the service and get paid for it right from the communities they live and serve.
If you cant cut the grade, you cant draw the wage.

I say give the crews the upper management jobs and have them work remotely with video conference.
How well do you think someone who's been a fisherman all his life would be equipped to administer an entity with an income of £200 million a year? That kind of income requires people who are experienced in running big businesses even if it is a charity.

How well do you think someone who's been a fisherman all his life would be equipped to administer an entity with an income of £200 million a year? That kind of income requires people who are experienced in running big businesses even if it is a charity.
Even a young kid could operate the kind of software we have used to replace high paid managerial jobs, Management is not a right and is certainly not a safeguard against automation.
Indeed management in many areas will be the target for plenty of ai/automation in the coming years. Saving companies millions. It's not all about the manual jobs when it comes to automation as has been reported on for the last decade.

So we are left with the crews, stations and physical supply chain, These positions could "take a few courses" and be right up to scratch with digitally running of the show and importantly, controlling the show, since no 2 coastlines and crews are the same, The only thing they share in common is the donations, which can be automated and managed digitally.
Even more importantly, the de-centraization of decision making by out of touch people (in the case of happenings/outrage of late)

The people that pay for it are happy (fiscal responsibility), the people that pull the weight are happy (freedom to stay well equipped and a well being amongst comrades). Appoint a director that also "does it for free", maybe someone with wisdom in retirement? To hell with the overpriced middleman management.

If that idea offends some, I am sorry, But unforeseen job losses affect every walk of life at some point (even management and top ranks). My relations were told it was "for the changing times" many years ago up the coast.
and in the case of the RNLI top rank statement, Indeed how they have changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the RNLI top brass were sharing champagne with the father w4nker of snowflakes that day on the Thames:

Last edited:
If you know people in the RNLI, you'll know of people leaving because of ever more rules and politics. I knew that 30 years ago, it just seems to have got worse over the years

Unpaid volunteers risking their lives deserve a bit of slack

Thankfully not all charities are like that, the one I work for now, everyone from the executives downwards are earning less than they would in the private sector
It seems the RNLI and some other charities have become boltholes for those who would not last 5 minutes in the private sector and are building up their little empires having sought appointment to the RNLI and other charities.

These people will undermine the good name of these institutions-indeed I would hazard the RNLI has already lost a good many donations and volunteers at the sharp end as a result of this affair.

Even a young kid could operate the kind of software we have used to replace high paid managerial jobs, Management is not a right and is certainly not a safeguard against automation.
Indeed management in many areas will be the target for plenty of ai/automation in the coming years. Saving companies millions. It's not all about the manual jobs when it comes to automation as has been reported on for the last decade.

So we are left with the crews, stations and physical supply chain, These positions could "take a few courses" and be right up to scratch with digitally running of the show and importantly, controlling the show, since no 2 coastlines and crews are the same, The only thing they share in common is the donations, which can be automated and managed digitally.
Even more importantly, the de-centraization of decision making by out of touch people (in the case of happenings/outrage of late)

The people that pay for it are happy (fiscal responsibility), the people that pull the weight are happy (freedom to stay well equipped and a well being amongst comrades). Appoint a director that also "does it for free", maybe someone with wisdom in retirement? To hell with the overpriced middleman management.
These are the responsibilities of a trustee/director of a charity. Good luck with finding someone to do that for free for a charity with net assets of £750 million

The essential trustee: what you need to know, what you need to do

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Love them or hate them they are a huge business.
Last year they had an income of some £197,690,779. Of that £ 183,201,001 was spent on charitable work and management.
They have 34,947 volunteers.
A staff roll of 2,103 ( I have no idea if that figure includes shop managers?) manages all the business activities, the volunteers and provides admin support.
I really don't know the minimum number of staff they would need to run efficiently.
Do you have figures for the admin staff to lifeboat volunteers ratio there?

Do you have figures for the admin staff to lifeboat volunteers ratio there?
No Those figures are from the Charity Commission site.

Edit - Wikipedia tells me;
"Lifeboat crews are composed almost entirely of volunteers, numbering 4,600, including over 300 women, and are alerted by pager. They are supported by 3,000 volunteer shore crew and station management.[39]

I work in IT, Let me tell you there are plenty of applications and infrastructure that could do the jobs of the RNLI back orrifice. And its usually a one time payment or minimal subscription. Value for money without all the bullshit.
Maybe I should start spreading the word around the stations, A targeted digital ad here and there.
At the other end of the spectrum, AI is long way from being able to save lives in rough seas, if at all.

You could have the donations go almost in a straight line from the donors to the RNLI procurement and stations themselves.

I say give the crews the upper management jobs and have them work remotely with video conference. Win win all around. The fishing communities where the RNLI spread it's wings had their fleets decimated, Let them run the service and get paid for it right from the communities they live and serve.
If you cant cut the grade, you cant draw the wage.
Well said.

Pure and simple.
The growth in RNLI office based, ‘administration staff’ over the past decade is eye watering. HR, Equality and Diversity and Health and Safety departments have taken root and will be hard to budge.
Just like the poor souls in our Police and Fire Services, Lifeboat crews have to spend an inordinate amount of time filling out risk assessments, ticking boxes on meaningless forms and attending Diversity courses or similar, instead of getting on with their (volunteer) jobs.
The life is being sucked out of them, thanks to the type of stifling beaurocracy most of us are now familiar with.
The phrase 'the country has gone to the dogs' springs to mind.

This seems to be the way across the board in this country, and it will only lead to a downward spiral where people will not volunteer and donations will decline. The long-term future of the RNLI has been put under threat by this affair.

Still so long as the high-paid HR and diversity staff-and of course management receive their bonuses, pay rises and expense accounts, life's just dandy.

To clarify once again, he was doing something that he did not have permission to do?
HQ reckless is OK then?

Permission? He is the Captain, HQ is admin.

I have humoured your Diversion from topic.

You want to continue diverting. Sorry, not playing your game.

On Topic. As DM journo said:
To have mass resignations at one lifeboat station might be considered unfortunate, but to suffer at least seven such cases in a period of around 18 months is somewhat more worrying.

Love them or hate them they are a huge business.
Last year they had an income of some £197,690,779. Of that £ 183,201,001 was spent on charitable work and management.
They have 34,947 volunteers.
A staff roll of 2,103 ( I have no idea if that figure includes shop managers?) manages all the business activities, the volunteers and provides admin support.
Not only are those figures questionable, they cast doubt on the Charity Commissioners and whoever else has to oversee the finances of the RNLI.

If it "only" takes £14,000,000 to operate the boats, stations, renew uniforms, buy fuel, HOW THE HELL does it require £183,200,000 to manage, administer, such a (relatively) small amount of "Operating Costs" (expenditure) ?! :( .

HQ reckless is OK then?

Permission? He is the Captain, HQ is admin.

I have humoured your Diversion from topic.

You want to continue diverting. Sorry, not playing your game.

On Topic. As DM journo said:
Do you not know how a hierarchy works? If I invited my civvie mates into camp for a jolly in military vehicles do you think that would be okay?

Basically he acted like a tit and get caught, cried about it and got the Daily Mail to tell the gullible that they should be outraged.