Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest snowflake outrage

I can't see why they felt the need to apologise. Just for once can an organisation say 'Thank you for your feed back however we do not intend to change anything and make no apology'. What's wrong with using tobacco as a colour name? It is a substance that brings pleasure to untold millions of people, as have bras!
advert.jpg

Dredd

LE
The article explains itself. The entirety of Western architecture was stolen from Islam.

The mindset betrays itself from the outset.

"Plundered".

Not "Influenced by".

Informative. And possibly quite incorrect either way but not impossible.

Or is it just sheeeite being deliberately thrown in to sell a mediocre and not really informative book?

syrup

LE
Stuck this in the Hiroshima thread but probably deserves a place here

BBC cuts Kipling's Mandalay from VJ service after one line is deemed racist

His verse evokes the sweat and suffering of Tommy Atkins — the ordinary soldier who risks his neck in battle only to be consigned to oblivion in peacetime.

But that has not prevented Rudyard Kipling’s celebrated poem Mandalay from being expunged from the BBC’s showpiece commemorating the 75th anniversary of VJ Day — much to the distress of veterans’ organisation the Burma Star Association.

The poem was first set to music in 1907 and was to have been sung for inclusion in the evening segment of VJ Day 75, to be hosted on Saturday night by Joanna Lumley on BBC1.

But that plan, I can disclose, was abandoned after a run-through of readings and songs at the Cenotaph, at which acclaimed bass-baritone Sir Willard White, pictured, was due to have sung Mandalay.

Sir Willard objected to the line “an wastin’ Christian kisses on an ’eathen idol’s foot”,’ I’m told. ‘He felt it derogatory to people of colour.’

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: BBC bans Kipling's Mandalay from VJ Day show

Here it is in full from 5 years ago

mandalay poem - Bing video

His verse evokes the sweat and suffering of Tommy Atkins — the ordinary soldier who risks his neck in battle only to be consigned to oblivion in peacetime.

But that has not prevented Rudyard Kipling’s celebrated poem Mandalay from being expunged from the BBC’s showpiece commemorating the 75th anniversary of VJ Day — much to the distress of veterans’ organisation the Burma Star Association.

The poem was first set to music in 1907 and was to have been sung for inclusion in the evening segment of VJ Day 75, to be hosted on Saturday night by Joanna Lumley on BBC1.

But that plan, I can disclose, was abandoned after a run-through of readings and songs at the Cenotaph, at which acclaimed bass-baritone Sir Willard White, pictured, was due to have sung Mandalay.

Sir Willard objected to the line “an wastin’ Christian kisses on an ’eathen idol’s foot”,’ I’m told. ‘He felt it derogatory to people of colour.’

Within 10 years all historical and drama programmes will have vanished from the BBC as it decides it cannot make any programmes that do not have the potential to offend someone, somewhere. No bad thing.

Within 10 years all historical and drama programmes will have vanished from the BBC as it decides it cannot make any programmes that do not have the potential to offend someone, somewhere. No bad thing.

I, for one, would like to be among the first to welcome our new beige anodyne overbeings.

Although I must admit to not being too keen on the rich old white men who pull their strings.

syrup

LE

I'm kinda hoping Miss Lumley tells them to ram it up their hoop since I'm sure her father Major Lumley would have been well aware of the song and poem as it was adopted by the 14th

"Plundered".

Not "Influenced by".

Or is it just sheeeite being deliberately thrown in to sell a mediocre and not really informative book?

Adding a point to an arch for style and creating a set of Ogive arches that hang the weight of a building on walls and flying buttresses are not the same thing...

this : (Al-Aqsa)
1597331842675.png

is not this: (Beauvais)

1597331580145.png

The vault height, the amount of space cluttered with interior supports, and the ability to pierce the walls with large glazings are different.

[/QUOTE
Glad you posted this when I read this it really made my piss boil. Sir Willard this is not about you and your woke values. This is a memorial and remembrance service for men better and braver than yourself. It is them and their comrades we are remembering. If you don't want to do it step down and let someone else sing the song, which is the song these men sang, many of them not to return it is for them not you

I agree with you about the BBC, and big thanks for that link to Charles Dance doing a splendid job on Mandalay

Black boobs matter! Does this mean looking at topless women (or clotheless ones) is a statement of being non racist? Why do bras need names anyway?

I am surprised that no feminist has complained about thngs like beds being given names like Emily or Helen.
Talking of heavenly (and other) bodies, NASA is going to review the nicknames given to extraterrestrial objects. NASA to Reexamine Nicknames for Cosmic Objects

Nicknames are often more approachable and public-friendly than official names for cosmic objects, such as Barnard 33, whose nickname "the Horsehead Nebula" invokes its appearance. But often seemingly innocuous nicknames can be harmful and detract from the science. :eek:

I hope Just Three Words has done due diligence or some users might not be rescued.
"I'm sorry madam, we cannot rescue you from that location. Could you try moving next door please?"

"Plundered".

Not "Influenced by".

Discussed here too

Conclusion: she's a know nothing RoP supporter

Maths wasn't invented by white people. How the **** is she a professor?
Algebra, algorithm, alchemy (and alcohol). Words that come from Arabic, peoples who were doing serious maths, geometry and chemistry while we were painting ourselves blue and lamenting that the Romans hadn’t done anything for us.

Algebra, algorithm, alchemy (and alcohol). Words that come from Arabic, peoples who were doing serious maths, geometry and chemistry while we were painting ourselves blue and lamenting that the Romans hadn’t done anything for us.

Probably more about the time that northern girls started getting ravished by Vikings, to be pedantic (again).

We can probably credit the Greeks with geometry as well.

Latest Threads