Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest snowflake outrage

Even The Torygraph published an article on Saturday gone describing the dropping of the bombs as "an atrocity".

Both my parents were in London during the Blitz and my old man went into the Navy at 18 in 1943.

I don't think they were bothered by bombing the sh*t out of the Germans and Japanese...

Both my parents were in London during the Blitz and my old man went into the Navy at 18 in 1943.

I don't think they were bothered by bombing the sh*t out of the Germans and Japanese...

I was astonished. It was a comment piece about someone meeting survivors of the bombs, but had to check someone hadn’t slipped a Guardian into the bundle of papers.

It can't be cultural appropriation because only white people can be racist or accused of cultural appropriation
That is my understanding after reading recently about a very talented Irish dancer...

There was a reported comment somewhere that the appropriation can only go one way.

Personnaly I'm of the opinion that if Morgan likes to Irish dance then she can, and if I feel like corn rowing my hair then so can I.

It's not appropriation of a culture but a celebration of it.

That's why morons who spout this sort of sh*t should be deplatformed or whatever the trendy term is.

More here, read the comments on the post for maximum handwringing
This reminds me of an article i read recently about the forces. It included a reference to soldiers on an annual drinking and watching 'Zulu' event (no name mentioned but it kind of narrows it down, do Paras still get drunk watching 'A Bridge too far'?)

The description of the Zulus was less than martial, using the term 'tribesmen' and completely ignoring their proud history as warriors. I don't know who was actually more wacist. The author of the piece who cancelled part of the Zulu's culture and heritage or the men of the B Coy, 2nd Bn, 24th Foot who fought them.

Nice bit of snowflakery here, nothing is sacred:

"Distant cosmic objects such as planets, galaxies, and nebulae are sometimes referred to by the scientific community with unofficial nicknames. As the scientific community works to identify and address systemic discrimination and inequality in all aspects of the field, it has become clear that certain cosmic nicknames are not only insensitive, but can be actively harmful. NASA is examining its use of unofficial terminology for cosmic objects as part of its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
As an initial step, NASA will no longer refer to planetary nebula NGC 2392, the glowing remains of a Sun-like star that is blowing off its outer layers at the end of its life, as the “Eskimo Nebula.” “Eskimo” is widely viewed as a colonial term with a racist history, imposed on the indigenous people of Arctic regions. Most official documents have moved away from its use. NASA will also no longer use the term “Siamese Twins Galaxy” to refer to NGC 4567 and NGC 4568, a pair of spiral galaxies found in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. Moving forward, NASA will use only the official, International Astronomical Union designations in cases where nicknames are inappropriate."
Taken from here:

Nice bit of snowflakery here, nothing is sacred:

"Distant cosmic objects such as planets, galaxies, and nebulae are sometimes referred to by the scientific community with unofficial nicknames. As the scientific community works to identify and address systemic discrimination and inequality in all aspects of the field, it has become clear that certain cosmic nicknames are not only insensitive, but can be actively harmful. NASA is examining its use of unofficial terminology for cosmic objects as part of its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
As an initial step, NASA will no longer refer to planetary nebula NGC 2392, the glowing remains of a Sun-like star that is blowing off its outer layers at the end of its life, as the “Eskimo Nebula.” “Eskimo” is widely viewed as a colonial term with a racist history, imposed on the indigenous people of Arctic regions. Most official documents have moved away from its use. NASA will also no longer use the term “Siamese Twins Galaxy” to refer to NGC 4567 and NGC 4568, a pair of spiral galaxies found in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. Moving forward, NASA will use only the official, International Astronomical Union designations in cases where nicknames are inappropriate."
Taken from here:
Good grief.

...or the men of the B Coy, 2nd Bn, 24th Foot who fought them.

Led by a Royal Engineer, lest we forget :)

ericferret

War Hero
This reminds me of an article i read recently about the forces. It included a reference to soldiers on an annual drinking and watching 'Zulu' event (no name mentioned but it kind of narrows it down, do Paras still get drunk watching 'A Bridge too far'?)

The description of the Zulus was less than martial, using the term 'tribesmen' and completely ignoring their proud history as warriors. I don't know who was actually more wacist. The author of the piece who cancelled part of the Zulu's culture and heritage or the men of the B Coy, 2nd Bn, 24th Foot who fought them.

I remember a packed TV room during basic to watch The Hill.

Some things just resonate.

That is my understanding after reading recently about a very talented Irish dancer...

There was a reported comment somewhere that the appropriation can only go one way.

Personnaly I'm of the opinion that if Morgan likes to Irish dance then she can, and if I feel like corn rowing my hair then so can I.

It's not appropriation of a culture but a celebration of it.

That's why morons who spout this sort of sh*t should be deplatformed or whatever the trendy term is.
I could give a flying fcuk if some black chick wants to dance like Michal Flattley.

However:

She described it as "A dance of oppression" and those comments ' . . . . . . . come from people who don't understand the term.'

So, she's all for the woke shite but not when it's aimed at her. This is the world that's being created by your cohorts cupcake, now shut up and deal with the comments like everyone else has to.
If she'd called out cultural appropriation for the shash that it is i'd have some sympathy.

Some hoo-hah in the Grauniad about the racist Rex Whistler mural in the restaurant. Good news is that it's Grade-1 listed so cant be painted over, I would say whitewashed but that would no doubt lead to trouble.

What's interesting as well is the Tate's own page about the mural. It refers to the British affection for Chinoiserie as an appropriation. Knew my grandmother's Willow Pattern stuff meant she was a racist. Then again as anyone ostensibly white but with a slightly dusky hue was referred to as having "a touch of the tar brush" she probably was ;)

Some hoo-hah in the Grauniad about the racist Rex Whistler mural in the restaurant. Good news is that it's Grade-1 listed so cant be painted over, I would say whitewashed but that would no doubt lead to trouble.

What's interesting as well is the Tate's own page about the mural. It refers to the British affection for Chinoiserie as an appropriation. Knew my grandmother's Willow Pattern stuff meant she was a racist. Then again as anyone ostensibly white but with a slightly dusky hue was referred to as having "a touch of the tar brush" she probably was ;)
I'm more amused at art critics getting up on their moral high horse about class, racism and other assorted issues. The name these gallant crusaders for proper non-racist behaviour have chosen is The White Pube - Login • Instagram

You couldn't make this shit up. "The White Pube is the collaborative identity of Gabrielle de la Puente and Zarina Muhammad under which we write criticism and (sometimes) curate.... We started writing about art because everything else was boring/overly academic/white nonsense////and male. every review is a personal reaction, and a record of an encounter with an aesthetic experience. we wanna write GOOD ~ have politix ~ n call out the general bullshit that stops a lot of us even wantin 2 go to galleries." - //_z_a_r_i_n_a_//_m_u_h_a_m_m_a_d_//

endure

GCM
I'm more amused at art critics getting up on their moral high horse about class, racism and other assorted issues. The name these gallant crusaders for proper non-racist behaviour have chosen is The White Pube

I must remember to shut my bedroom curtains when I turn the light on...

offog

LE

I am a little confused. How can depicting what was happening in real life be considered racist. Now if it showed a black kid sitting on the back of the cart eating ice cream and having a good time they may have a point. But as we have read from an excellent report on the BBC locals saw slavery as a good economical trade up till the 1940s.

Wasn't the willow pattern created for the European market.

Latest Threads