Latest snowflake outrage

My bold Ahem .. Port is made USING BRANDY
Incorrect:-
"Port is fortified with aguardente vinica. A grape based drinking wine that is distilled to concentrate the alcohol to 35-60%.

Sherry on the other hand is fortified with brandy, another grape distilled spirit".

Introduced to this rather special elixir at mess dinners, began collecting Port at the age of nineteen. Now have a reasonable collection, the crown jewels of which are a case and a half of Taylors 1963.

A case of that can go for over 2 Grand at wine auction at Christies these days, which is certainly not the price I paid for it when buying it in 1965. Had a mate who was a manager of Victoria wines in Bury Street who used to tip me off on what he thought might be good buys, and I think at the time it may have been a round five quid a bottle.

Last edited:
I think it might have been Dunkirk.

Yokel

LE
Oh no it ain't. Just try it. It was good enough for John Mills in Sink the Bismark. Or was it Richard Todd in 633 Squadron?
John Mills was not in Sink The Bismarck. Nor was he in 633 Squadron.

In which we serve with Noel Coward

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Closer. During the evacuation from Dunkirk in In Which We Serve, two Army Officers are on Torrin's bridge and a served 'ordinary Bovril rather heavily laced with Sherry'.

I suppose that in wartime it had the advantage of not needing to be imported like tea and coffee as it is produced from brewery left overs, and does not need sugar.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

Closer. During the evacuation from Dunkirk in In Which We Serve, two Army Officers are on Torrin's bridge and a served 'ordinary Bovril rather heavily laced with Sherry'.

I suppose that in wartime it had the advantage of not needing to be imported like tea and coffee as it is produced from brewery left overs, and does not need sugar.
you are thinking of marmite - bovril is a beef extract not yeast

Then it was probably The Way To The Waves or Reach For The Stars Above Us.

ex_colonial

On ROPS
On ROPs
Incorrect:-
"Port is fortified with aguardente vinica. A grape based drinking wine that is distilled to concentrate the alcohol to 35-60%.

Sherry on the other hand is fortified with brandy, another grape distilled spirit".

Introduced to this rather special elixir at mess dinners, began collecting Port at the age of nineteen. Now have a reasonable collection, the crown jewels of which are a case and a half of Taylors 1963.

A case of that can go for over 2 Grand at wine auction at Christies these days, which is certainly not the price I paid for it when buying it in 1965. Had a mate who was a manager of Victoria wines in Bury Street who used to tip me off on what he thought might be good buys, and I think at the time it may have been a round five quid a bottle.
My bold
You lucky sod, I must admit to buying my case of Dow's '1960 when in the '70's a chancellor made the mistake of announcing a very stiff tax hike on wines several months early. Allowing those who had the funds to stock up with decent wines. As I had quite a good job, earning a good salary at the time, I also bought several cases of good premier cru Burgundies as well.
I must admit that I only served the good Burgundy to guests that appreciated good wines & gave a normal vin rouge to those that didn't, normally the wives!!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
And once it’s been opened you know it won’t keep...
...and rarely does. But...

An interesting thing found by accident, when opening a bottle of port from a case when a special mate had suddenly turned up. Thoroughly enjoyed and unusually, some left over.

It does keep... for a bit, so that went into the booze cupboard. First born’s b’day was a day later so family came up for a lunch and another bottle came out of the same case and decanted.

Some left over from that. Both had been superb...but I felt there had been a difference. we attempted a tasting but with predictably undecided results, other than we were seriously enjoyed the attempt.

Next day invited another mate round who fancies his sophisticated palate. It was a very unscientific experiment, however we did determine that from a single case the two did vary discernibly in taste, though both extremely palatable.

Not often one gets the chance given the cost but interesting to experience.

Chimp

ADC
My bold
You lucky sod, I must admit to buying my case of Dow's '1960 when in the '70's a chancellor made the mistake of announcing a very stiff tax hike on wines several months early. Allowing those who had the funds to stock up with decent wines. As I had quite a good job, earning a good salary at the time, I also bought several cases of good premier cru Burgundies as well.
I must admit that I only served the good Burgundy to guests that appreciated good wines & gave a normal vin rouge to those that didn't, normally the wives!!
I wonder if you were acquainted with this other port aficionado: Major-General Henry ('Harry') Salusbury Legh Dalzell-Payne CBE - In 1979, it was announced that he would become Assistant Chief of the General Staff. However, during his move back to the United Kingdom he was investigated by the Military police for suspicion that he had avoided tax on port that he had intended to bring back to Britain. While no charges were ultimately filed, the Army Board asked him to resign his commission due both to the adverse publicity and also to the revelation that he had significant debts.

gorillaguts981

War Hero
Port? Blame the frogs. When we couldn't get French wines due their insistence on being at war with us (again) British importers found a sweet fortified wine in Portugal the people back home might like. It's sweet because they squirt in brandy to kill off the yeast before all the grape sugar has turned into alcohol and you still get a strong full bodied wine. A rather fortunate turn of events.

Port? Blame the frogs. When we couldn't get French wines due their insistence on being at war with us (again) British importers found a sweet fortified wine in Portugal the people back home might like. It's sweet because they squirt in brandy to kill off the yeast before all the grape sugar has turned into alcohol and you still get a strong full bodied wine. A rather fortunate turn of events.
Port; a drink that is simultaneously The Tears of Angels and The Devil’s Semen!

Nikki Hayley

According to Woke Guardian reporter Nikki Hayley could run for the Republican nomination in 2024 but like Priti Patel is the wrong sort of BAME. Claims that Priti went into a rant at a black Labour MP about race. She must have watched a different video to me because I saw that Priti was very measured and calm and put said black Labour MP firmly in her place.

And the MSM whinge when they get accused of fake news.
In the lefty world she isn't BAME properly because she disrespects BAME rule no 1 by not playing the victim card, and she's not a card carrying marxist which to their eyes automatically makes her a racist

you are thinking of marmite - bovril is a beef extract not yeast
'Beef tea', which kept the British fortified on board ship before they landed on the Dark Continent's hostile, mosquito and Saffer-ridden shores. By George, they needed it.

Quite. Yer man Churchill was quite disturbed by our boneheads.

We haven't gone away, you know...

Latest Threads