Latest snowflake outrage

Mind you there appears to be increase of ummm RTAs between set of wheels and protestors ..very strange ...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
My bold Ahem .. Port is made USING BRANDY .. " Winemakers add the brandy evenly into the Port wine so the yeasts “go to sleep” calmly. Most Port producers use about 30% brandy to reach the legal minimum of 17.5 ABV."

I was fortunate enough to have been invited to visit one of the major Port lodges in Villa de Nova Gaia to see how Port was produced including an overnight stay at the main Quinta (estate) in the Douro valley.
Needless to say the tastings of some of their classic vintages was lovely, I even tried the famous 1947 vintage which was superb. Even then the cost was high, now you'd be lucky to find one for much below £500 - £600 a bottle from a reputable wine merchant, sadly I finished my last great port, a Dow's '60 about 12 years ago and unless I won the lottery couldn't justify buying one now!
Unfortunately port does not have the addition of commercial brandy because the brandy spirit which is added in order to make port is non aged and distilled being clear. The addition of drinking port with brandy is in order to make it a little less sweet (port was really designated as a dessert wine) though not obscuring the taste of the port. This really requires the knowledge of which grape family used for the port in order to add even more brandy but in fact most people merely order a port and brandy knowing and caring not what it actually is.
Having written all that there are certain names and vintages which should never be added to, such as the Quintas, one of the top ones being Quinta do Noval which is said to be a single grape port from a particular estate field.

Niamac

GCM
Unfortunately port does not have the addition of commercial brandy because the brandy spirit which is added in order to make port is non aged and distilled being clear. The addition of drinking port with brandy is in order to make it a little less sweet (port was really designated as a dessert wine) though not obscuring the taste of the port. This really requires the knowledge of which grape family used for the port in order to add even more brandy but in fact most people merely order a port and brandy knowing and caring not what it actually is.
Having written all that there are certain names and vintages which should never be added to, such as the Quintas, one of the top ones being Quinta do Noval which is said to be a single grape port from a particular estate field.
You're better with Madeira which, in a decent mess, will come round with the port and, as fewer people like it, is often available in greater quantity at the end of the evening.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
You're better with Madeira which, in a decent mess, will come round with the port and, as fewer people like it, is often available in greater quantity at the end of the evening.
Madeira brings back memories of a then current squeeze I took to a mess dinner at Shoeburyness. She noticed the padre was drinking only Madeira with everything and followed suit.

I made her sit in a very large plastic rubbish bag all the way home the next day.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Regardless, if by the end of the meal you're not drinking port from blikkies something's gone wrong with the evening.

Regardless, if by the end of the meal you're not drinking port from blikkies something's gone wrong with the evening.
Bikkies is something you dip in your tea.

Old Brown Dog anti freeze.

Got issued a case of KWV 1820 going to the Antarctic. Great for keeping the blood flowing when going fishing. Navigating back to the base was a bit tricky though...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Ja, I guzzled the lot straight from the bottle while fishing.

Also settled two cases of KWV Roodeberg with Coca Cola making Catembes. Drove the radio tech crazy as he was a serious oenophile and was rationing his issue while I was swilling it with coke.

The white liberal advocators of this need to lead by example. Resign your job, home and wealth to a person of colour, or shut the **** up. I would happily pay the local black gang bangers to enrich these scum, with life-changing injuries.
By the way, it was great to hear about the CHAZ mob paying that dippy so-called mayor a home visit. Shame the didnt steam in and enrich the bitch properly.
I heard that's what changed her mind into having the nest of scum cleared out.. Funny how when it comes down to cases, the lib-tard woke crowd doesn't want to follow their own mob rule policies of policing to its ultimate conclusion.

Port and Bovril. Just a splash of the former and it's the perfect drink after a winter afternoon on the fens with the hounds.

Oh no it ain't. Just try it. It was good enough for John Mills in Sink the Bismark. Or was it Richard Todd in 633 Squadron?

Latest Threads