Latest snowflake outrage

Awol

LE
Blackface existed 3 decade before the civil war.

The bloke who is probably the best known for it (Al Jolson), was well supported by black people at the time.
I defy anyone to be genuinely offended by someone else blacking up. If someone in Nigeria painted their face white for dramatic purposes, I think I speak for the whole Caucasian race in saying... 'Oh, okay'..... and happily getting on with my day.

What I won't do is rush around shouting at strangers, stabbing at my phone to tell Twitter how outraged I am or demanding that film crews rush to my house to witness my apoplexy.

It REALLY isn't important.

sunny james

War Hero
Around 10 years ago one of the civvy employees we had was a graduate in criminology. She was quite chirpy and bright, but her degree was useless to us, she ended up leaving after about 2 years and shortly after gave birth to twins. So all that education just to become a stay at home mum, not really a good investment from any point of view.
Degree courses are there to enrich the universities, not the student "customer".

I just realised, I haven't seen the film, The Jazz Singer on the Beeb, or anywhere for quite some time.
I guess the 80's comedy Soul Man is also confined to the dustbin, never to be broadcast again for fear of frightening the easily offended over accusations of stereotyping... shame... I remember it as a funny film back in the day... taking experimental suntan tablets to bring on a blackface and thereby qualify for a free pass to Harvard...
(the longest 'trailer' for a film EVER...)

I remember seeing some of that film. The bit I remember most is where he attends a black students meeting, and turns up done out as one of the Black Panthers. Black beret, combats, pullover, shades, boots etc. In the room, are a dozen of the most goody-goody,, churchgoer type, black youths, who all give him funny looks.

I defy anyone to be genuinely offended by someone else blacking up. If someone in Nigeria painted their face white for dramatic purposes, I think I speak for the whole Caucasian race in saying... 'Oh, okay'..... and happily getting on with my day.

What I won't do is rush around shouting at strangers, stabbing at my phone to tell Twitter how outraged I am or demanding that film crews rush to my house to witness my apoplexy.

It REALLY isn't important.
By way of sheer hypocrisy can I mention the film "White Chicks" where 2 black men white up as women. Absolutely acceptable as it is humour, whereas if the races were reversed and if it ever got made and if it ever made it to the cinema there would be protestors outside.
But as we know only whitey is capable of racism.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I just realised, I haven't seen the film, The Jazz Singer on the Beeb, or anywhere for quite some time.
A white man signing black/slaved origin music? How disgusting! I demand to be outraged for cultural misappropriation

I'm also outraged that this black man is playing music that is historically white.
Beethoven will be spinning in his grave

1582714067501.jpeg

I remember seeing some of that film. The bit I remember most is where he attends a black students meeting, and turns up done out as one of the Black Panthers. Black beret, combats, pullover, shades, boots etc. In the room, are a dozen of the most goody-goody,, churchgoer type, black youths, who all give him funny looks.
Also sent up in Chasing Amy

jg505

Old-Salt
I guess the 80's comedy Soul Man is also confined to the dustbin, never to be broadcast again for fear of frightening the easily offended over accusations of stereotyping... shame... I remember it as a funny film back in the day... taking experimental suntan tablets to bring on a blackface and thereby qualify for a free pass to Harvard...
(the longest 'trailer' for a film EVER...)
The funniest bit of that whole film was when they played basketball. IIRC he was picked first, being black he was expected to be brilliant, and he absolutely atrocious. Some of the loop shots, and slam dunks, were just ridiculous.

That said, I'm sure if I watched it now it might not even register a slight chuckle.

By way of sheer hypocrisy can I mention the film "White Chicks" where 2 black men white up as women. Absolutely acceptable as it is humour, whereas if the races were reversed and if it ever got made and if it ever made it to the cinema there would be protestors outside.
But as we know only whitey is capable of racism.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
On looking at the WIKI page it appears a sequel has been mooted.

Sequel

In August 2009, a sequel to the film was announced by Sony, though they later cancelled the project.[20][21] In April 2014, Marlon Wayans expressed interest in a sequel.[22] A sequel was confirmed to be in the works in March 2018.[23] On June 30, 2019, Terry Crews confirmed a sequel on the program Watch What Happens Live. Marlon Wayans confirmed that this information was not meant to leak, and that the deal had not yet been confirmed.
[24]

Yes, I know but once again the point is missed. Blackfaces were around a lot longer that that, especially in Europe where Liz 1 had them in her court.
The point was it stopped being just singing, dancing and blacking up turned into a way of denigrating the blacks after the Civil War and the acts changed.

And of course in the UK the origins of "Morris dancing" allegedly came from N. Africa
snip According to Professor Howkins, when people recorded these customs in the 1890s, they were obsessed with seeking out ancient beginnings. In the seventeenth century there had been suggestions of a connection with Moorish dancing and it was adopted as a convenient theory. It fitted in, for example, because some dancers blacked up their faces and attached bells to their legs, which was believed to be something to do with North Africa.

Latest Threads