Latest snowflake outrage

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
And the latest snowflakism....

Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'can't tell the time'

How much effort does it take to learn to read a 'traditional' clock?

Are the snowflakes of today totally devoid of intelligence and learning skills?

Wordsmith
This is grossly unfair to the congenitally innumerate, as I am sure the Shadow (VAST shadow) Home Secretary will point out - although she may have noticed that ordinary clocks nearly always have white faces, which should be a concern to anti-racists.

This is life beyond the looking-glass with a vengeance.

Not sure if it is part of the national curriculum, but our 7 yr old is learning to tell the time this term, alongside halves, quarters and stuff. we got her a watch, only 2 kids in the class have one. It is quite a decent school
Bought my lad a dual display watch, along with teaching him to read analogue, he was then able to cross reference the readouts, helped him along enormously.

Agreed 100%. Parents certainly have as much of a responsibilty towards educating their offspring as the school does.
The point that I was trying to make is why are kids leaving school unable to tell the time on an analogue clock?
Horse/water... highly intelligent people still fail their driving test despite weeks of one-to-one coaching...

Both my son's (now 25/26) on their 5th birthdays received the basic ' Disney analogue watch' I would constantly ask them the time and ask them to show me how they worked out the time.We turned into a game with flash cards and star charts. I also taught them the Phonetic Alphabet,it was especially beneficial to my eldest as he is Dyslexic and has Aspergers Syndrome,he struggles to read but can spell phonetically.

My Dad had great difficulty in getting me to be able to read the time on a clock face. I was thick little sod, nowadays I'm just big lumox. My Troop Sergeant was most unkind when he called me a fat c**t, I didn't know what he meant as I had a sheltered upbringing in the 1940s and 1950s. It was only when i joined the Signals that I learned about all sorts of quaint Anglo-Saxon terminology, including meanings that had something to do procreating, and ripping ones arms off and shoving the soggy ends up ones nostrils..... he was sooo cruel to me1!!:cool::oops:

Gotcha - I’m not sure (I don’t have kids, but do have friends who are teachers) why they can’t, but I don’t believe the fault lies with the schools; otherwise would they have to fill all the gaps that parents miss - tying shoelaces, using a knife(no issues in London with that) and fork, riding a bike?
We had a board on the back of door in class with two laces and a list of all those who had successfully tied them. We were told that anyone who couldn't tie their laces by the end of the year wouldn't be going up to the next class. Not sure how valid that threat was, but our teacher was scary and it was all the incentive a six year old needed.

We had a board on the back of door in class with two laces and a list of all those who had successfully tied them. We were told that anyone who couldn't tie their laces by the end of the year wouldn't be going up to the next class. Not sure how valid that threat was, but our teacher was scary and it was all the incentive a six year old needed.
Same in my RC Infant school,taught by Nuns ( Even today the name Sister Mary Appleton causes fear,I am 61 years of age and memories of a very frightened 5 year old flash back in a hearbeat)
We also had boards with shoe laces,Ties,Braces even a cut out of a Boy&Girl dressed in school uniform. Our turnout had to be exactly as that cutout. Failure was not an option,failure brought the most severe punishment
'Sister Mary Appleton and her very large Black Plymsol.
I'm shaking now just at that memory

I struggled the other day with my Cbank chip 'n pin at the cinema Costa. Fact was, little did I know both Cbank & Yorkshire Building Society ( same company) were having "issues"...again. The disparaging looks I was getting from the faux wannabe Goths behind the till were unwelcome...and they made it obvious.

Me being me I asked the pair of them......
"9 nines are ? Blank look. 6 sixes are? Blank look. Capital of Australia maybe? Blank look. The Roman name for London perhaps? Blank look. Difference between simple & compound interest..please?
Oh...what do you actually know? Not really that smart either then?

I paid cash, and deliberately used all my pocket loose change just to be even more of a barsteward.
Took her a while to count it out correctly while I tapped the counter and sighed with fake boredom.
Job.

With reference to the thread title, since recently retired we have "unsubcribed" to almost everything Email wise, nuked our FBooks, taken WhatsApp off both our phones, blocked a pile of straggling fair weather "pals", and finally had home number changed of which only a small core of known individuals have..
It's bloody brilliant & like losing weight socially.

Last edited:
I struggled the other day with my Cbank chip 'n pin at the cinema Costa. Fact was, little did I know both Cbank & Yorkshire Building Society ( same company) were having "issues"...again. The disparaging looks I was getting from the faux wannabe Goths behind the till were unwelcome...and they made it obvious.

"9 nines are ? Blank look. 6 sixes are? Blank look. Capital of Australia maybe? Blank look. The Roman name for London perhaps? Blank look. Difference between simple & compound interest..please?

I paid cash, and deliberately used all my pocket loose change just to be even more of a barsteward.
Took her a while to count it out correctly while I tapped the counter and sighed with fake boredom.
Job.L
I went to the costa at the local cinema the other day. The server was telling me about some pîss-smelling doddery old fücker who was unable to operate either of his debit cards for some reason. The elderly bloke, now seemingly confused, started rambling on about basic maths and geography - the server wasn’t quite sure how to deal with someone with early-onset dementia so said they just stayed silent, in worry that 1) they were going to be attacked or 2) the frail old bloke was going to collapse.

He seemed to be trying to quiz the server, but finally snapped out of it and paid with what was left of his giro.

Strange bloke.

With reference to the thread title, since recently retired we have "unsubcribed" to almost everything Email wise, nuked our FBooks, taken WhatsApp off both our phones, blocked a pile of straggling fair weather "pals", and finally had home number changed of which only a small core of known individuals have..
Well done you.

Last edited:
I went to the costa at the local cinema the other day. The server was telling me about some pîss-smelling doddery old fücker who was unable to operate either of his debit cards for some reason. The elderly bloke, now seemingly confused, started rambling on about basic maths and geography - the server wasn’t quite sure how to deal with someone with early-onset dementia Si said they just stayed silent, in worry that 1) they were going to be attacked or 2) the frail old bloke was going to collapse.

He seemed to be trying to quiz me, but finally snapped out of it and paid with what was left of his giro.

Strange bloke.

Well done you.
:D
Ah!
You were the decrepid old f*cker behind us who did not savvy there are no longer 240 pennies in a pound?
My sympathies to your long suffering social worker. :p

Job.

Are you my long lost Brother ?

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
My company employs two labourers, one's gone on holiday so my mate offers me his dopey unemployed 18 year old chavee son for 2 weeks casual work. The lad turns up for the first 5 day week and on Friday I paid him £200 in cash, and told him 7.30 Monday. He doesn't turn up, according to his dad the boy expected to be paid at least twice that, even though he was new to the job, kept wandering off, wasn't motivated, and just stared at his phone.
If he'd come back he would have earned another £200 and the chance of full time job, but now he and countless British lads like him are festering in theirs pit's whilst keen strapping EE lads hoover up all the work.

And the latest snowflakism....

Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'can't tell the time'

How much effort does it take to learn to read a 'traditional' clock?

Are the snowflakes of today totally devoid of intelligence and learning skills?

Wordsmith
Tell me, can you use log tables, a slide rule, an abacus, if the answer isn't yes to all three then somewhere someone is saying exactly the same thing about you.
I could add, milk a cow, plow a field - by horse of course - make bricks out of mud and lay them, or cut timber to make a house, etc. ad nauseum [that last bits Latin which of course you speak along with your native Bretano-Gallic].

The world moves on, you learn what you need to live in today's world or you emigrate to Pennsylvania and join the Amish [other backward communities are available for non Christians].

you sure ? I'm all alone no brothers or sisters. Alright for you init with 'Your Brother' you try not having a brother see how you like it

Ps Can I pretend your my Brother as i need an alibi for last Sunday
cheers Bruv
A) It'll cost.
B) The cost may escalate if you murdered, robbed, or are a Liverpool supporter.

The point that I was trying to make is why are kids leaving school unable to tell the time on an analogue clock?
Because the figures on the clock app on their mobile device are digital and the only time they will be without their mobile is in a formal exam. When I sat school exams we still had to use a fountain pen, scripts written in other forms would not be marked, at university they thought that was rather amusing.