Latest snowflake outrage

Staying on the school sports theme. I think it's outrageous that privileged young white kids are indulging in sporting activities that are not accessible to inner city children.

Eton College should be burnt to the ground immediately, if not sooner.

eton wall.jpg

eton polo.jpg

I have got a great idea for a new sport. Drop-kicking white middle class academics. I challenge any black, Asian or Muslim athletes to do better than me at this wonderful new game.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I’m not particularly interested in football so let me see if I have this right.

A sport played in virtually every country in the world somehow favours white privilege.

How does this apply to the West Indies cricket team?

Utter cobblers.
No idea. I tend not to get all outraged about anything until I've actually read what is says rather than what the Mail says it does.

Just downloaded it in .pdf via Shibboleth if anyone wants a look.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
..and the first thing I'd point out is that it was published in 2015. The Daily Mail, proudly supporting the defenders of Mafeking...

I’m not particularly interested in football so let me see if I have this right.

A sport played in virtually every country in the world somehow favours white privilege.

How does this apply to the West Indies cricket team?

Utter cobblers.
Not forgetting.
Africa Cup of Nations - Wikipedia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea. I tend not to get all outraged about anything until I've actually read what is says rather than what the Mail says it does.

Just downloaded it in .pdf via Shibboleth if anyone wants a look.
Nonsense. I demand the right to be outraged in my safe space.

Just read the actual study.

Not massively impressed. It’s just a trawl of the relevant literature peppered with POMO buzzwords (hegemony, discursive, normative, whiteness lens, etc ad nauseum) combined with various assumptions and SOTBOs (immigrants tend not to ski etc).

They left out “Charlie don’t surf”.

It could have been written by the POMO Generator.

Meh!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Countries such as India, and the WI islands could usefully show solidarity against white colonialist oppression by boycotting* cricket or even banning it. Maybe the aborigines could shame the Oz govt into similar action. It must pain them no end to see it played (and Rugby - Maoris should protest against that).

* shoehorned in there intentionally.

Countries such as India, and the WI islands could usefully show solidarity against white colonialist oppression by boycotting* cricket or even banning it. Maybe the aborigines could shame the Oz govt into similar action. It must pain them no end to see it played (and Rugby - Maoris should protest against that).

* shoehorned in there intentionally.

My bold... what by only agreeing to throw boomerangs, or tribesmen in Pakistan confine themselves to playing this .. Kok Boru, polo-like sport played with dead goat, booms

Peanut and “tree nut” allergies are different and neither are understood very well.

There has been a rise in all sorts of allergies. Nobody had peanut allergy fifty years ago. Latex allergy in nurses has gone from virtually zero to something like 25% in the last few decades.

My pet theory is that the lead from combustion engines affected the body in a manner that lowered the risk of allergy and the removal of lead from petrol has caused the rise in allergies. Ironically this rise might therefore be caused by us becoming healthier.

Lead is a powerful neurotoxin and damages the nervous system. This is especially troublesome in children.

Spod mode off. It’s just a conjecture.
Not entirely implausible. I've also read about a reduction in violent crime with the withdrawal of leaded petrol, data fits with an effect during teen years. Other option, we're too clean for our own good, live in muck and you don't get allergies, plenty for your body to really deal with. Sanitise your environment and your immune system has to find something to do.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Not entirely implausible. I've also read about a reduction in violent crime with the withdrawal of leaded petrol, data fits with an effect during teen years. Other option, we're too clean for our own good, live in muck and you don't get allergies, plenty for your body to really deal with. Sanitise your environment and your immune system has to find something to do.
Although the reductions in crime are multifaceted (like any social issue) lead is one of the few causal factors that is extensively and consistently incriminated.

Good overview here:
Sick Kids Are Just the Beginning of America’s Lead Crisis

More academic studies here:
Home

“Rick Nevin is a Senior Economist with ICF International. He is best known for his peer-reviewed research showing the relationship between preschool lead exposure and trends in crime, unwed pregnancy, SAT scores, and mental retardation.”

Them there white people again FFS

Now PE is RACIST says taxpayer-funded study that claims that teaching children to play football, rugby, cricket and netball favours 'white privilege

PE is racist say two academics on UK's 'whitewashed curriculum' | Daily Mail Online
From the report -

"They add that the emphasis in PE on health and fitness could even be imposing Western ideals of how people’s bodies should look."

I would suggest, given that something like 65% of the population is either overweight or obese, and obesity is a leading cause of cancer as well as a rake of other health issues, perhaps an emphasis on health and fitness is a good thing?

I worked on The Social Fund DWP. We administer Budget Loans Crisis Loans Community Care Grants Maternity Grant and Funeral Grants. A trial of issuing vouchers for Argos for household items was to be brought in. Myself and other Decision Makers went on a 1 day course,all expences paid,slappup meal,hotel the works.
1 day before launch ( spent around 6 months preparing,leaflets printed,Argos books ready to issue along with said vouchers) ALL STOP ..... Cancelled due to the possibility of Legal Action under human rights laws. Turns out we could not dictate that these household items must be bought at Argos.
Argos was not picked because it was the cheapest it was chosen because of its universal price wherever you lived. So the voucher scheme has been wanted by the DWP since day 1. The blame is The Court of Human Rights
You'll be able to quote us the decision then