Latest snowflake outrage

But as they are pre '74 A's they all count as a modern degree, apparently.
I was about to ask him how old his IIii is, but grade inflation is such a tounchy subject. In my experience this degree a) didn't get me to study for a docotorate, b) got me my first 2-3 jobs. After that I was promoted on merit, in fact at one point a job requiriemnt was downgraded to let me in, and then downgraded 2 years later to let a non graduate in, becasue he could do the job as well.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Fair's fair, chaps, a 3rd class degree is still a degree, which is what you asked him to show.

I wouldn't be masquerading online as 'a scientist' on the back of it, but each to their own and the term is not protected.

Fair's fair, chaps, a 3rd class degree is still a degree, which is what you asked him to show.

I wouldn't be masquerading online as 'a scientist' on the back of it, but each to their own and the term is not protected.
I wouldn't describe myself as a scientist or a historian.
I would describe myself as having a scientific attitude and a reasonable historic knowledge and interest.

The scientific method is something I can explain to you in about 2 minutes and needs a GCSE in common sense to understand. If you follow the scientific method I'd argue you are a scientist. One major point of the scietific method being that you justify your statments with evidence not have them accepted becasue '"I'm a professor and I say so".

I was about to ask him how old his IIii is, but grade inflation is such a tounchy subject. In my experience this degree a) didn't get me to study for a docotorate, b) got me my first 2-3 jobs. After that I was promoted on merit, in fact at one point a job requiriemnt was downgraded to let me in, and then downgraded 2 years later to let a non graduate in, becasue he could do the job as well.
I am very glad I didn't decide to do Uni as my life so far has been very interesting.
still not sure what career to pursue though.

exiledblue

War Hero
OFS I now have to find my degree paper , photo copy it , mask my name and put it up here.

Do you want to see my award as the best final year student as well - I was happy with that since I got a 500 pound cheque.?

Clearly my fault

Because someone is proud of a 3rd class degree which means in the 80's he turned up for classes

How in gods name can you get a 3rd with honours?

At leasts we know how much of a prof he is.

Bare with me I need to go back to the 80's and find a fax machine lol may take a few days

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
I would describe myself as having a scientific attitude and a reasonable historic knowledge and interest.
I'm usually stuck with the whole 'historian' thing. It could mean a spotting fat kid who watches the History Channel up to A.J.P. Taylor. Given that I make my living in the field and have some pretty sturdy post-grad qualifications backing that up, I am definitely an 'historian', but so, if they so choose to label themselves as such, is someone who likes watching Sharpe and has read a few glossy picture-heavy books on Waterloo.

Maybe you're right, the Cambridge dictionary says you have to be an expert [a person with a high level of knowledge or skill relating to a particular subject or activity ] to be a scientist.
SCIENTIST | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
When I got my degree we were about the top 11%, is that high level of knowledge, I don't wanto be bothered arguing it. I like 'scientific attutide', thanks, that will do in furture.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
The scientific method is something I can explain to you in about 2 minutes and needs a GCSE in common sense to understand. If you follow the scientific method I'd argue you are a scientist. One major point of the scietific method being that you justify your statments with evidence not have them accepted becasue '"I'm a professor and I say so".
The term 'scientist' is meaningless apart from showing that you have a basic understanding of science. I have very strong A-Level equivalent Biology result under my belt but would never call myself a biologist. However, under your definition, I can call myself a scientist.

I wouldn't though, and don't. It's best not to build yourself a tower made of Jenga sticks to issue pronouncements from, because sooner or later someone will pull out the critical peg and you'll be made to look a compete idiot.

I am very glad I didn't decide to do Uni as my life so far has been very interesting.
still not sure what career to pursue though.
One you enjoy and a degree is a means to an end, or not if you get a third, so if you're doing fine without one think of all the debt you're not in.

Latest Threads