Latest snowflake outrage

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”​

George Orwell, '1984'

1659680774382.png

English Heritage and it's commitment to black history...

Last edited:

Boxy

GCM
Well it's Banchory! Do you really want to spend 10x the money a house would cost elsewhere? Spent my weekend at a suicide prevention stall at the Banchory Fair.
My old mum has just bought a bungalow there, she finally agreed that the family home is too big for her, it’s a very nice bungalow, in a nice part of town, Banchory is a real tourist trap now, I did all my secondary education at the academy there, the only English boy…

Whilst I know from experience that Shakespeare is the world's finest sexual lubricant for Californian barmaids, there his utility ends (apart from the two quotes about Armourers)*.
Some of his putdowns are pure class

His wit’s as thick as a Tewkesbury mustard - Henry IV

Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver’d boy - Macbeth

Thou cream faced loon! - Macbeth

Must use the last one more often

I did Dickens and Shakespeare at school, I'm still having therapy. Why people rave about it, I just don't know.
Shakespeare is not meant to be read, it should be heard.
And yes I did it with Chaucer at school and did not enjoy it.
@Excognito the excuse the left used to get rid of the 11+ was it favoured middle class pupils with books at home.
It actually favoured children with intelligent parent of any class who had books at home, and should be brought back for that reason.

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”​

George Orwell, '1984'

View attachment 683090

WTF!

DarkBrig

War Hero

George Orwell, '1984'

View attachment 683090

Who is the figure supposed to represent - he/she/it looks like an overseer to me, which given that "hundreds" of people were needed (local slaves?) I see a BAME oppressor of the white indigenous peoples which seems a tad oppressive...........to me, or is my inbuilt white privileged bias kicking in again.?

It's also hardly new.
My 25mm Republican Roman army was 30% black/brown 50 years ago. They're actually easier to paint than us pasty faced white chaps.
Hadrian and Trajan's column have been about for a long time.
Stonehenge was built two to three thousand years before the Romans ever set foot on the Island.

I have no problem with the odd roman being a bit dusky etc... I have no problem with history faithfully representing the facts.

I do have a problem with everything being blackwashed, both historically and against the actual reality of today.

It's all a lie.

Last edited:
Stonehenge was built two to three thousand years before the Romans ever set foot on the Island.

I have no problem with the odd roman being a bit dusky etc... I have no problem with history faithfully representing the facts.

I do have a problem with everything being blackwashed, both historically and against teh actual reality of today.

It's all a lie.
I didn't actually read the poster until you pointed that out.
It really is a stupid lie.

@Excognito the excuse the left used to get rid of the 11+ was it favoured middle class pupils with books at home.
It actually favoured children with intelligent parent of any class who had books at home, and should be brought back for that reason.
We were a poor familly and every penny counted. Never enough money and mum often went without heat in the house during the day in winter to save a few bob.

About 1963 Dad started to buy Knowledge magazine this would have been a considered option for someone who checked the shopping price to the halfpenny. This was a sacrifice.

I devoured every issue, the artwork was superb.
Passed my 11 plus went to grammar school which entailed more sacrifice on the part of my parents.
Uniform e.t.c. I was a free school meals kid.

Set me up for life. But of course it only benefited middle class kids!!!!!

The destruction of the Grammar school system which benefited so many poor kids like me shows the left in it's true colours and to hell with the lot of them.

I still have all 216 copies of Knowledge, dad is gone, but as long as mum is around I will hang on to them.
A re-read as a retirement project might not be a bad idea.

And some of us were lucky enough to pass the entrance exams to Direct Grant public schools.

And some of us were lucky enough to pass the entrance exams to Direct Grant public schools.
I suspect I almost did and am grateful that I didn't. By that I mean I did a serious and long interview with some teachers I never met again. As I never trusted my teachers I did not take it seriously enough.
I am happy that I am mostly self educated.

Ah that explains why I was never put in for it. Yes my maths was weak point, it still is, but I never got the chance. Despite my dad paying for my education and writing to the school about it. Dare one suggest it was more to do with my half Germanness, or was it just teachers who didn’t care so long as the moolah came in.

Ah that explains why I was never put in for it. Yes my maths was weak point, it still is, but I never got the chance. Despite my dad paying for my education and writing to the school about it. Dare one suggest it was more to do with my half Germanness, or was it just teachers who didn’t care so long as the moolah came in.
At the state junior school I was at everybody was enterered for the 11+, everybody had a chance.
I actually failed and I remember how devastated I was. Most of my friends had passed.
Then a reprieve, why or how I know not.
There was nothing wrong with the grammar school system, what was lacking was investment in the secondary schools. Destroying peter to benefit paul was never the answer.

I suspect I almost did and am grateful that I didn't. By that I mean I did a serious and long interview with some teachers I never met again. As I never trusted my teachers I did not take it seriously enough.
I am happy that I am mostly self educated.

Sadly, you *might* have missed out on some good opportunities and experiences. My first two years of grammar school were pretty good. I was thoroughly taken with biology and, most unusually, was given free access to the biology lab to do what I wanted. It was great - I frequently rode on the bus from one end of Manchester to the other with rats or locusts in a cage, to look after them for a weekend or long break. I even badgered a teacher into setting up an electronics club (I had a Philips Electronic Engineer kit(*)). Sadly, we moved and I ended up in a state grammar school that was not so permissive. I sometimes wonder how I managed to fit so much into day when I was a kid ...

Another downside to being self-taught is that the quality of the teacher can be a bit iffy, as they sometimes don't know what they're talking about and skip the basics.

(*) EE8 EE20 A20 – Hans Otten Personal Interests

I also used to frequent an army surplus store that stocked everything electronic from components to entire radios and test kit. It was somewhere near Rochdale Road and Cannon Street in Manchester, but the area's totally changed now.

At the state junior school I was at everybody was enterered for the 11+, everybody had a chance.

That's how I recall it. Similarly for applying for the Direct Entry schools.

I actually failed and I remember how devastated I was. Most of my friends had passed.
Then a reprieve, why or how I know not.

There was also an opportunity to change track with the 13+. We had a couple of kids come over from the local secondary moderns in Year 3. I seem to recall a few going the other way, too. We also had a couple join us for A-Levels.

There was nothing wrong with the grammar school system, what was lacking was investment in the secondary schools. Destroying peter to benefit paul was never the answer.

The secondary modern adjacent to my second grammar school had some pretty good, newish kit in it. After having had woodworking lessons at my first (DG) grammar school, I was quite jealous of the SM's facilities, as there nothing similar in the new grammar school. The latter did have a rather neglected observatory in the grounds, though, which a couple of mates and I semi un-neglected.

Alex Belfield's got his day in court. Sounds a bit of an unpleasant obsessive who bears a grudge...

TamH70

MIA

Latest Threads