Latest snowflake outrage

TractorStats

War Hero
Now I know where it all went wrong for me. I must have been about 7 when I first read Beowulf. Is it too late to sue the library for PTSD?
I know I will regret admitting this in the company of Arssers but while you lot were holding off the massed ranks of the Soviet Union I was prancing about playing the part of Beowulf in university amateur dramatics. :viking:

Traumatised for life. Where there's blame there's a claim.

I did Dickens and Shakespeare at school, I'm still having therapy. Why people rave about it, I just don't know.

The thing about Shakespeare's stuff is that there are lots of quotes that are apposite to one situation or another, and studying Billy Boy offers a cultural context within which to appreciate them. Just like Monty Python or Father Ted does.

As an example, consider how much greater the impact of these scenes by knowing Shakespeare than not, even if it is in English rather than the original Klingon.

(Indeed, the film's name is from Hamlet ... and from the only bit of Шекспир that I can vaguely recall in either English and the original written by a little old lady from Leningrad (I was astounded by how many Russian translations there are))

Although Shakespeare's a bit light on the old comedy, there.

: "Angels and ministers of grace defend us!
Be thou a spirit of health or goblin damned,
Bring with thee airs from heaven or blasts from hell,
Be thy intents wicked or charitable,
Thou comest in such a questionable shape
That I will speak to thee."

: "Ah, no. It's just the Spider Baby, Ted."

"To Drink, or not to Drink ... Feck! Arrse! Girls!

We’ll I’ve always had books at home, I’ve read each and everyone on all kinds of subjects and in two languages. My children were always encouraged to read, not one did they. Except when pa needed to do some research for their homework’s. which proves the point, “you can lead a horse to water….”

In such situations, I usually roll my eyes, look at the ceiling, and intone: "You can lead a horse to thought, but you can't make it think".

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I did Dickens and Shakespeare at school, I'm still having therapy. Why people rave about it, I just don't know.
Whilst I know from experience that Shakespeare is the world's finest sexual lubricant for Californian barmaids, there his utility ends (apart from the two quotes about Armourers)*.

Dickens on the other hand is just bloody torture.

* You don't get this sort of thing for VMs:

Now all the youth of England are on fire,
And silken dalliance in the wardrobe lies:465
Now thrive the armourers, and honour's thought
Reigns solely in the breast of every man: Henry V A2

...and from the tents
The armourers, accomplishing the knights,
With busy hammers closing rivets up,
Give dreadful note of preparation: Henry V A4

Whilst I know from experience that Shakespeare is the world's finest sexual lubricant for Californian barmaids, there his utility ends (apart from the two quotes about Armourers)*...
I saw somewhere???
If Shakespeare is spoken with the accent of his day, much of his humour makes sense.
Seems modern copyists have "sanitised" his works.
ETA, example

OldieD

MIA
Well, look you, boyo, isn't it, now?

36262d3561754335362a9c132decae5b02dfcc79

And, och aye, hoots mon, the laddies e'en do it o'er the border ...

10496962_1801388043419796_3485462543997615745_o.jpg
Well it's Banchory! Do you really want to spend 10x the money a house would cost elsewhere? Spent my weekend at a suicide prevention stall at the Banchory Fair.

Robsa68

Old-Salt
I saw somewhere???
If Shakespeare is spoken with the accent of his day, much of his humour makes sense.
Seems modern copyists have "sanitised" his works.
ETA, example

My English teacher told us to read shakespear in a Brummie accent and it would be easier to understand.

Still made no pigging sense.