Latest Military rank equivalency poster makes the news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim30

LE
Definitely a slow news day today. The latest 'pecking order' chart, which in one form or another has existed for as long as I can remember showing what different ranks/grades look like in defence and who is equivalent to whom (e.g. Sqn Ldr = Major etc) has been picked up.

Quite an useful reminder that things that we in defence take for granted (e.g. trying to work out how nearly 50 different rank/grades across three services and the civil service relate to each other) is somehow now seen by 'defence sources' as a reminder to salute and call people Sir not Boss. The Sunday Times had an editorial about it, and the Telegraph has the story too - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-the-lower-ranks-to-salute-their-seniors.html

Shit. Time for another letter from a 2* on bum-wiping, the correct usage of gobbling rods and how not to talk to one's wife whilst shagging/eating/being with her.

Standards eh?

The cynic in me isn't surprised in the slightest. I think we're going to see a lot more stories painting us, and our ways, as an anachronism; as cuts and 'changes to TCOS' loom and require public acquiescence.

"younger officers were failing to salute their seniors"- I was taught that you are actually saluting the queen through her commissioned proxy, or have I got it hopelessly wrong?
(Helps to think of it that way when you think someone is a complete arrse)

But the main questions are, do you salute American warrant officers and what does an RAF flight sergeant equate to?

But the main questions are, do you salute American warrant officers and what does an RAF flight sergeant equate to?

Oh dear, floodgates are now opening even as we speak!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer

1. Yes, but with your index finger and middle finger only.

2. Acting LCpl.

The cynic in me isn't surprised in the slightest. I think we're going to see a lot more stories painting us, and our ways, as an anachronism; as cuts and 'changes to TCOS' loom and require public acquiescence.

1) It is an anachronism.
2) Are you suggesting a media conspiracy to assist the government in making cuts?

F Sgt equates to a civillian C Sgt if there was one but less military like. Or British Airways not quite Virgin though.

<incoming>
I knew letting women into the mainstream would have consequences..:cool:
</incoming>

Standards eh?

Quite right.

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

F Sgt equates to a civillian C Sgt if there was one but less military like. Or British Airways not quite Virgin though.

What's not quite a virgin? Where you only put it in a bit?

What a load of pooh pooh.

1) It is an anachronism.
2) Are you suggesting a media conspiracy to assist the government in making cuts?

Well there are a lot books coming out saying we're a little bit sh1t and its been going on for a while

A strong whiff of this being driven by CS who think driving a keyboard makes them a General.

Any serving officer who called his CO mate would die on the spot.

If you are a civilian you are always mate to me.

I find some amusement in that Senior Officers feel freely able to chin off the CGS's instruction as to how PCS should be worn - out and down - but get a cob on when Officers wearing what looks like made up / fancy dress rank slides ( The Andrew and Crab) don't get saluted...

Well there are a lot books coming out saying we're a little bit sh1t and its been going on for a while

Senior officers are almost universally shit. Yes men who cry about a lack of respect while failing at every task put before them. They're as culpable as the politicians for the cringeworthy failures in Iraq and Afghanistan.

matt2470

Old-Salt
A Army/RM lance cpl same as RAF SAC? Think not......they don't really earn it..no PNCO course....just get if after 12 to 18 months in trade.......Also why has the RAF Regt got Lcpl now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads