Latest ill thought out idea from the US

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Yokel, Jan 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have a cup of coffee and a cigarette while you wait to see whether the target is you or East Chaos-stan, obviously.
  2. What if they launch on warning though?
  3. I assume (and of course it's only a w.a. guess on my part) that if they picked up multiple launch signatures on infra-red "launch on warning" is exactly what they'd do.
  4. Well, obviously, those curayzee cats in the Pentagon (or Pantagon - Yokel - nice one), would simply tell everyone "it's OK, they are conventional". Yes, I can see that working every time.
    What was the expression? Mutually ASSured Destruction (MAD).
  5. Well I'd believe them if they said that they were (A) Not pointed at me, (B) Not nuclear tipped, honest, and (C) really, really accurate! It's just the fact that no-one else trusts em that causes a problem.

6. Now, can anyone think of a US supportive country that might possibly have islands including port and airbase facilities in the South Atlantic that might provide a location to launch ballistic missile strikes from without the need to station a submarine there.
  7. Hmm.... Wonder how much it costs? Takes the idea of 'using a 500-dollar missile to destroy a 10-dollar tent' to new heights...

8. Probably some Yank admiral woke up,and realised that the Navy wasn´t going to get any funding for Subs?

Re-arm and look for OBL with a Trident,before they get rusty in the firing bays;Beats crawling around caves with knives in your mouth! :twisted:
  9. Apart from a handful of locations buried deep inland (Russia and China), don't they already have global strike with their floating airfields and TLAM equipped destroyers and submarines?

It seems to me to be a simple case of 'make an argument and hope the tw@ts listening are too dozy to spot the gaping flaw.'

Many have made a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitude.
    Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!
    ~ Leonardo Da Vinci
  10. Has it occurred to anyone that a hardened MIRV with a conventional/no warhead might be a pretty good way of attacking deeply buried targets without using nukes?

Just a thought.
  11. Well, that assumes a hardened MIRV would be pretty good at a deeply buried target. Most 'evidence' - as opposed to funding seeking PR campaign managers media briefings - suggests it would be pretty useless.

But then again, it comes from land where the panacea to bunker busting is seen as launching hardened metal rods from space and hoping the kinetic target destroyes the target - if it's fired in the right direction! A country which proudly claimed their much vaunted 'bunker buster' had destroyed Serbia's Slatina facility, only for 11 MiGs to taxy out some weeks later.

Big bombs, even the very biggest of bombs, can't replace a squaddie with balls - if the enemy is a small in number and hidden underground.
  12. What they're likely to do is set up special silos for these missiles a hell of a long way from any others and the sea (e.g. Arizona). They would then invite the Chinese, Russians, French, etc. to park a diplomat or two at the launch site with the right to inspect the warheads at short notice (couple of hours say with some way to check the US isn't swapping them over, just covering up the sensitive stuff). They will then know that any missiles from this launch site will be conventional and will no longer need to launch on warning.
    It would make them the most expensive bunker busters ever, but that doesn't matter, they've thought up a cool name - "Rods from God". :roll: