Latest idiocy from MOD

Son stationed in Scotland.
Points out to powers-that-be that he is further away from home than servicemen who are permitted to fly, after much discussion is permitted to fly home -time taken 1 h.5 hours vs 11 hours on train. NOW THE GOOD BIT- cost to MOD £60.00 return on easyjet.
Senior Rupert sees this, gets wound up because he is no longer allowed 1st class travel / plane everywhere by right, imposes ruling that only senior officers may fly.
Result, cost to MOD of 2nd class train ticket £184.00, time each way circa 11 hours. So whilst we are unable to afford planes for our aircraft carriers we can waste £124.00 per squaddie so that a brass hat can feel valued !!!

Great idea for next defence review - how about using common sense on everyday expenditure such as travel warrants.

Points out to powers-that-be that he is further away from home than servicemen who are permitted to fly, after much discussion is permitted to fly home -time taken 1 h.5 hours vs 11 hours on train. NOW THE GOOD BIT- cost to MOD £60.00 return on easyjet.
Senior Rupert sees this, gets wound up because he is no longer allowed 1st class travel / plane everywhere by right, imposes ruling that only senior officers may fly.
Result, cost to MOD of 2nd class train ticket £184.00, time each way circa 11 hours. So whilst we are unable to afford planes for our aircraft carriers we can waste £124.00 per squaddie so that a brass hat can feel valued !!!

Great idea for next defence review - how about using common sense on everyday expenditure such as travel warrants.
Do you know for a fact its because a officer got upset or are you trying to generate a bit of outrage?

It doesnt cost 184 quid for standard ticket if you book in advance (like you would for a plane).

Pack of ****ing lies.

stacker1 asked the OP

Do you know for a fact its because a officer got upset or are you trying to generate a bit of outrage?
OP had used the pejorative
Senior Rupert
I'm guessing that the OP had issues before this alleged event.

If there is any veracity in the above, I suspect it is a local rule, not national Defence wide policy and can be slapped down or safely ignored. Rail travel is the datum. If you can fly or drive for less than full standard rail, you can. Or am I a rebel? And as stacker1 says, book ahead and save Defence even more money.

The last word from last November's instruction from CDS/PUS was and is; where savings can be made, they should be.

RHIP......................................

, book ahead and save Defence even more money.
A quick google show that booking a month in advance from Glasgow to London costs an outrageous £30. Half the price of the Easy Jet ticket.

The last word from last November's instruction from CDS/PUS was and is; where savings can be made, they should be.
And here's an excellent example of how savings can be made:

Go to the top of the class Sangreal.

From now on, all service personnel and MoD civillians should aim to save time and money by minimising the number of characters they use in correspondance.

A quick google show that booking a month in advance from Glasgow to London costs an outrageous £30. Half the price of the Easy Jet ticket.
How many Toms can book a WHOLE MONTH in advance safe in the knowledge no lastminute.coms are going to pop up?

How many Toms can book a WHOLE MONTH in advance safe in the knowledge no lastminute.coms are going to pop up?
Load of bollocks, thats what travel insurance is for. He should have kit and life insurance anyway, there is always a way around things. I know Colonels who voluntarily give up their travel rights to save their own units some money. Admittedly they are ****ing rare, but there all the same. On another note, when i was at Catterick, we had a tom who used to walk to the edge of the motorway and thumb a lift to Glasgow every single weekend and never be late back on the Monday. (Must of sucked off a lot of truckers mind)

Travel insurance? I'd like to see a policy that would provide adequate cover. Somehow I don't think you'll find one. Especially after your third or fourth claim of the year.

About the same amount who could book a flight a WHOLE MONTH in advance safe in the knowledge no lastminute.coms are going to pop up. What do you think squaddies based in Germany do?

Just to add Ive just googled train fares from Glasgow to London from the 23rd of November with a squaddie rail card and the cheapest is 36 quid.

Who wants to go home 3 or 4 times a year? The Jocks have got square sausage, tatty scones and buckfast, with a massive amount of hungry minge. Is he being nonced? Maybe he's lying to Mummy so he can go out and bang Mary McScankybitch who does cock for crack

Who wants to go home 3 or 4 times a year? The Jocks have got square sausage, tatty scones and buckfast, with a massive amount of hungry minge. Is he being nonced? Maybe he's lying to Mummy so he can go out and bang Mary McScankybitch who does cock for crack
Hang on Fella, I have been seeing Mary for a couple of months now, and she told me she only accepts cash. The lying slag! I wondered why she was always a bit crusty...........

Time must have changed since I was a young sprog! Fastest way home? Bollaux!

Head off on leave 12:00 Friday, get pissed, miss last train, back on the piss, spend night on the bench at station, catch something O'clock train Saturday, reach home town, head to nearest pub to clear head, roll home about 6ish… Hi Mum, and fall in a mess on the settee and sleep off the weariness such travel brings.

Tell the slacker that a trip from Scotland is at least a 2 day sesh.

Very few, because even if there are no last-minutes, there are only a few cheap seats on any given flight - think 6-10. As soon as demand picks up, so do the ticket prices. I did the S England - Scotland commute for several years and gave up trying to get cheap tickets. rail was a non-starter, lost most of a day travelling each way. In the end I decided that it was cheaper and almost as quick to drive. - but I was on FTRS HC, so no warrants.

....but Senior Officer should be told that the answer is "cheapest sensible route" by his SPS rep ! Its his T&S budget getting hammered after all !

i know we always moan that applying civvy processes to the MoD just results in over complexity and happy consultants but this bollocks just would not be tolerated in any comparable sized commercial organisation.

Simple rules, applied with common sense and consistency

I don't know whether the story is true but if so it really is yet another sign of how far behind the real world the public sector is

....but Senior Officer should be told that the answer is "cheapest sensible route" by his SPS rep ! Its his T&S budget getting hammered after all !
The cheapest way to travel is still rail. Glasgow to London tomorrow 54 pounds without a rail card, 36 with.