Latest for the MOD......you couldn’t make this up!

#1
Mate of mine has recently been putting a lot of hours in on a project and was told it would be paid as overtime. Today he was told due to budget restraints and cuts he couldn’t have the hours paid and it would have to be time off in Lieu. So he basically has a six week Christmas break.

The mad bit is, his team are bringing in a contractor to cover him while he is on leave on £400 a day! How the hell can somebody justify that? The over time he would have got paid is less than a week’s money they will pay for a contractor but ‘comes from a different budget’ WTF!!!! It’s still my tax money!

I would love to see this tried in outside industry, I think no matter the industry someone would soon get a P45 for this sort of stunt.
 
#2
I think you will find, if he was told he would be paid for overtime prior to starting said work, that he is contractually entitled to be paid. A management screw-up doesn't change this reality.

I suggest he raises a grievance - it may just trigger a settlement without further ado.
 
#3
I don't think my mate gives a damn one way or the other on the overtime. I just can't believe you would give any employee six weeks off and the employ a contractor at four times the salary just to avoid paying a bit of overtime. No wonder the MOD is skint!
 
#4
Baldrick66 said:
I don't think my mate gives a damn one way or the other on the overtime. I just can't believe you would give any employee six weeks off and the employ a contractor at four times the salary just to avoid paying a bit of overtime. No wonder the MOD is skint!
I think you'll find that most of the MoD is now paying for agency staff to make good the caps on regular recruitment.

I'd still raise a grievance - one less contractor off the pay roll.
 
#5
I can't believe your mate hasn't gone self employed....

Private sector for those who can, public sector for those who can't.

msr
 
#7
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
I think you will find, if he was told he would be paid for overtime prior to starting said work, that he is contractually entitled to be paid. A management screw-up doesn't change this reality.

I suggest he raises a grievance - it may just trigger a settlement without further ado.
If he was TOLD he would be paid, and he AGREED to do the work, then by LAW he MUST be paid, he and his employer had a CONTRACT, whether verbal or written, that is binding in LAW. Check it out.
 
#8
Gubmint_Agent said:
It's presumably the same answer that the Home Office use in such a situation:

"It's from a different budget".
And the NHS :roll:
 
#9
Manley said:
If he was TOLD he would be paid, and he AGREED to do the work, then by LAW he MUST be paid, he and his employer had a CONTRACT, whether verbal or written, that is binding in LAW. Check it out.
All true. Now try applying that in the real world. It's more hassle than it's worth for a few hundred quid.
 
#10
I've just been told our peeling and decrepid offices cannot be painted until 2012 at the earliest and that there is no budget for the team to do any "self-help" either - meanwhile the contractor has just paid another contractor to paint the white road-side rocks yellow "so they show up in the snow".

Madness.
 
#11
msr said:
I can't believe your mate hasn't gone self employed....

Private sector for those who can, public sector for those who can't.

msr
Stop fishing for bites.............. you know you won't get one from me......... :wink:
 
#12
saladin said:
I've just been told our peeling and decrepid offices cannot be painted until 2012 at the earliest and that there is no budget for the team to do any "self-help" either - meanwhile the contractor has just paid another contractor to paint the white road-side rocks yellow "so they show up in the snow".

Madness.
And the excuse? Different budget or the old Health and Safety card? makes my blood boil!
 
#13
To do a real comparison you need to look at capitation costs. Don,t forget the contractor pays his own and employers National Insurance. Plus there are no pension contributions incurred by MOD, and if he goes sick he does not get paid.

If it is an operational related task funding clawback can be made from CPF.
 
#14
DKH we are talking about a full time MOD CS being told to stay home for 6 weeks and a contractor taking his place at nearly 5 times his daily pay for the sake of a few hundred quid in overtime. No matter how you do the maths it's hardly value for money
 
#15
Baldrick66 said:
DKH we are talking about a full time MOD CS being told to stay home for 6 weeks and a contractor taking his place at nearly 5 times his daily pay for the sake of a few hundred quid in overtime. No matter how you do the maths it's hardly value for money
The Civil Service have to conform to rules of 'due diligence' with regard to the spending of public monies, which should preclude this sort of thing. If you really feel strongly about this, you should speak to someone in a position of power.
 
#16
Baldrick66 said:
DKH we are talking about a full time MOD CS being told to stay home for 6 weeks and a contractor taking his place at nearly 5 times his daily pay for the sake of a few hundred quid in overtime. No matter how you do the maths it's hardly value for money
It does if you are the contractor ;)

msr
 
#18
If your mate used his brain, what he'd be doing is going and offering himself to a contractor for six weeks worth of work, that he's fully trained for and can fall into the role with a seamless transition...
 
#20
dkh51250 said:
B66 have you taken into account all the elements I referred to to get his true daily rate?
DKH, you have to remember that the MoD employee is still employed, so the capitation rates are still there, he is still getting paid, his NI contributions are being made by the MoD and he is still gaining pensionable time.

The contractor is being brought in for 6 weeks to supplement the work required, because the MoD employee has to take the 6 weeks as leave. So in effect £2000 a week has to be found over and above the MoD employees salary, although they're different budgets of course.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads