Latest for the MOD......you couldn’t make this up!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Baldrick66, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mate of mine has recently been putting a lot of hours in on a project and was told it would be paid as overtime. Today he was told due to budget restraints and cuts he couldn’t have the hours paid and it would have to be time off in Lieu. So he basically has a six week Christmas break.

The mad bit is, his team are bringing in a contractor to cover him while he is on leave on £400 a day! How the hell can somebody justify that? The over time he would have got paid is less than a week’s money they will pay for a contractor but ‘comes from a different budget’ WTF!!!! It’s still my tax money!

I would love to see this tried in outside industry, I think no matter the industry someone would soon get a P45 for this sort of stunt.

2. I think you will find, if he was told he would be paid for overtime prior to starting said work, that he is contractually entitled to be paid. A management screw-up doesn't change this reality.

I suggest he raises a grievance - it may just trigger a settlement without further ado.

3. I don't think my mate gives a damn one way or the other on the overtime. I just can't believe you would give any employee six weeks off and the employ a contractor at four times the salary just to avoid paying a bit of overtime. No wonder the MOD is skint!

4. I think you'll find that most of the MoD is now paying for agency staff to make good the caps on regular recruitment.

I'd still raise a grievance - one less contractor off the pay roll.

5. msr

msr LE

I can't believe your mate hasn't gone self employed....

Private sector for those who can, public sector for those who can't.

msr

6. It's presumably the same answer that the Home Office use in such a situation:

"It's from a different budget".

7. If he was TOLD he would be paid, and he AGREED to do the work, then by LAW he MUST be paid, he and his employer had a CONTRACT, whether verbal or written, that is binding in LAW. Check it out.

8. And the NHS :roll:

9. All true. Now try applying that in the real world. It's more hassle than it's worth for a few hundred quid.

10. I've just been told our peeling and decrepid offices cannot be painted until 2012 at the earliest and that there is no budget for the team to do any "self-help" either - meanwhile the contractor has just paid another contractor to paint the white road-side rocks yellow "so they show up in the snow".

Madness.

11. Stop fishing for bites.............. you know you won't get one from me......... :wink:

12. And the excuse? Different budget or the old Health and Safety card? makes my blood boil!

13. To do a real comparison you need to look at capitation costs. Don,t forget the contractor pays his own and employers National Insurance. Plus there are no pension contributions incurred by MOD, and if he goes sick he does not get paid.

If it is an operational related task funding clawback can be made from CPF.

14. DKH we are talking about a full time MOD CS being told to stay home for 6 weeks and a contractor taking his place at nearly 5 times his daily pay for the sake of a few hundred quid in overtime. No matter how you do the maths it's hardly value for money

15. The Civil Service have to conform to rules of 'due diligence' with regard to the spending of public monies, which should preclude this sort of thing. If you really feel strongly about this, you should speak to someone in a position of power.