Latest disturbances in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by muhandis89, Mar 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It does appear that the 'new' Iraqi Army is having difficulty with some of their citizens in Basra and Baghdad,and elsewhere.

This raises a concern for British troops outside Basra.If the Iraqi army does not ''win'',or there is a stalemate in the area,it would seem likely that The Army may well face an increase of attacks on their base,possibly helped by Iranian backed elements.I do hope that there is a good withdrwal plan.
  2. Line up the Herc (only one) and the choppas, jump on and pop smoke. Let KBR worry about their generators and such...
  3. Not sure where I read it (was more than five minutes ago) but Bush gave a speech in Dayton lauding the success of Iraq. Apparently there are children in the streets playing 'soccer games' (180 of them to be precise), something which didn't happen before the war.

If the rest of the worlds press is to be believed, this is sounds similar to the Captain of the titanic telling people there's nothing to worry about...

Here's the link:
  4. Bushed reminds me of this guy.

Iraq is burning. No doubt about that. The latest spin is that this is an Iraqi initiative (chortle!) but who is ordering the most logistics and the most firepower in a desparate bid to put a happy face to this untangling dream? Political types in the US and Britain of course.

The same ones who have been calling Iraq a paradise these last five years.
  5. Gents I have attempted to reproduce an e mail that was sent to me. I doubt the Photo will appear.
    I have no doubt that some of you will be able to check on the quote from the Reagan diaries.

" Beneath the photo from the REAGAN DIARIES is an actual quote that Reagan wrote about George "W" in his diaries, recently edited by author Doug Brinkley and published by Harper Collins

"A moment I've been dreading. George brought his n'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida; the one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work."

From the REAGAN DIARIES------entry dated May 17, 1986.
  6. If-as the Times suggests-police in Basra are ''defecting'',rather than being defective,that's not a good sign.Neither is Al Malaki ''personally directing'' the Iraq Army.Sounds like desperation.Imagine Bruin ''personally directing'' our Army on operations!!
  7. What defecting towards the government? Because they did (and always have been) start on the militia's side!
  8. Ah thank you.
    Paraphrasing is a curse of our times.

My friend will receive a reply.
  9. Not to sound like Bush, but lets give them a shot. They're having difficulty, because firefights are inherently difficult. They seem to be holding things together. This is THE test to see if there is hope.

Only time will tell
  10. The problem is though CJ that crossing fingers and hoping to luck planing and foreign policy is what got both your country and mine into this cluster.

Also as is the way with this its never those who have made the political decisions who pay the price either.

That the militia are no longer reported openly as having power and control i do not attribute too there wain of influence so much as the lack of will to report facts not fluff from the Iraq, and also both your government and mine have once again gone back too the enemy of my enemy is my friend as a answer :roll:

I wil however hope it settles asap so we can get our boys and girls the fock out of that shitthole.

i would like to see nothing more than Bush and Blair properly judged shame it will never happen so one can only hope for some form of natural justice.
  11. I'm not disputing that, I'm just not ready to assume that the Iraqi Army is doomed (nor am I ready to assume they will succeed, as Bush is doing presently).

They seem to be standing their ground for the time being. This means (in theory) that the Shia dominated Army's troops are willing to fight against shia militias for the sake of national unity. I'm hoping (cautiously and with a great deal of reservation) that this will work.
  12. CJ i hope so too... being a right is not always something i relish and i honestly want too be proved wrong so while i hate fingers crossed policy right now there is nothing more for the next few weeks we can do... :(
  13. This is a great test for the Iraqi security forces. CAS is being supplied by the coalition as well as artillery support from UK guns, if the pictures I have seen are current. Maliki has to assert control over Basra for economic reasons if nothing else. With the IA/US troops attacking Sadr's militia in Sadr City his forces are hard pressed on two fronts. His militia has to be dismantled for the long term good of the country.