Late Starter

Good morning, all.

I’d like to get some advice please? I’m 32, and in a position where I’m restarting my life after a failed business attempt in which I lost everything, including marriage and two children whom I see twice a month ☹️

After my mother died when I was 15, I began an adult life very quickly on my own and missed my chance to join up and follow my families tradition in the army.

Is 32 a realistic age to join? even though the limit is now 35 and if so, would joining the guards as I would like to do be a wise move or should I look at something else.

I have ridden horses before so mounted is of interest, although foot guards would be an honour - although I wouldn’t know where to start to choose which regiment. I also have a psv license so driving isn’t out of the question either. Any thoughts?

If you have a PSV licence try driving a bus, a friend does for metro buses and is on £32k.
You will not get that as a trooper or private, what is your fitness like as you will need to be fit.
Get an LGV Licence/Driver CPC/ADR & HIAB and earn good money.

Do you really at 32 want a snotty 21yr old LCpl shouting at you?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you have a PSV licence try driving a bus, a friend does for metro buses and is on £32k.
You will not get that as a trooper or private, what is your fitness like as you will need to be fit.
Get an LGV Licence/Driver CPC/ADR & HIAB and earn good money.

Do you really at 32 want a snotty 21yr old LCpl shouting at you?
He's also at a point in his life where he can take that risk to try something a bit off the wall.

Three years minimum service, for a guy with a failed marriage, business etc, what's that but a drop in the ocean?

If his fitness is good, and his attitude is right, he'll also promote quickly due to maturity.

If you want to do ceremonial and you've got geegee experience, go for Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment. It's exceptionally tough and demanding mentally (because it's dull as ****) as you try to get your kit clean and deal with your horse, but it's not that hard physically as HCMR don't really or didn't really bother with PT; you also live in London opening up a whole world of shagging opportunities.

It also gives you the choice later in life to switch to HCR for more operational stuff.

Either way, good luck. You're at a crossroads now and if the army proves to be only a short sidetrack, so be it - at least you did it and won't live with the 'What if' if you don't.

Last edited:
Have you spoken to your local Reserve Unit?

Hi. Thank you for the replies.

I’m booked to speak to the careers office on Thursday.

I suppose in some ways I’m trying to make up for most opportunity - it’s now or never, and as my family have all served I feel like a lost sheep sometimes.

Are there any guards here who could offer specific advice on the ceremonial requirements ( how tiring is it for an old 32 year old haha). James

Hi. Thank you for the replies.

I’m booked to speak to the careers office on Thursday.

I suppose in some ways I’m trying to make up for most opportunity - it’s now or never, and as my family have all served I feel like a lost sheep sometimes.

Are there any guards here who could offer specific advice on the ceremonial requirements ( how tiring is it for an old 32 year old haha). James

Hello James,
Right first of all Mr James McGee aged 32. Change your bloody user name. As recruiters and Depot Staff have been know to frequent these pages. Not that you have made one but you wouldnt want a off the cuff comment coming back to bite you in the Arrse.
Secondly 32 is not too old for the Foot Guards. Infact it may go in your favour as you may well be pushed through for promotion courses. I've know blokes of your age join and be Platoon Sgt by the time they were 40.
If you decide to join the Foot Guards one bit of advise I would give you would be to stay out of Support Company as this would hinder your promotion. So unfortunately that's most off the "Alley" jobs gone. (Sniper, Recce,Mortars, Anti-Tanks ect). Although you can still have a good and varied career on a Rifel Company.
The Ceremonial "side" to the Guards is our very ethos. To do everything to the highest possible standard. No matter of that's Guarding her Majesties Fortress and Palaces. Or green soldiering. It's this ethos that can be both a blessing and a curse. The blessimg is the pride in knowing you've done something as well as it can be done. The curse is the resistance to change due to tradition. Tradition has its place of course but blind obedience to it can be a bit if a head banging moment at times.
Depending on which Regiment of the Guards you chose. Once finished training you would be posted to a Incremental Company in London. For anywhere between 2 months to 4 years. ( I'd keep quite about the PSV licence whislt there or your be driving for every shit duty going).
The Ceremonial stuff is actually quite fun and as mentioned up thread provides plenty of opportunities to get amongst the women of London.
After your stint at the Incremental Company you will be posted to Battalion. If you've shown some that you can think for your self and not be a general dick then chances are you will be thrown on a Drill and Dutys course ( Promotion Corse) pretty quickly. This is when you will get to go to.the home of the Guards Pirbright ( and meet the 3 sisters) and get fucked around for 8 weeks. Upon successful completion you should be made up to LCPL within 3 month's.
Again if you show that you can think and organise SCBC ( Juniors) should follow within a few years. Then on to PSBC ( Seniors) again a few years later probably after being posted to a training establishment. ( I know.of one Bloke who did all of this and was posted as the replacement for his section commander in training he was 28 when he joined). So less than 2 years to get to LSGT as we dont have Full screws ( Corporals ) in the Guards.
I do believe that the Guards and The Household Division in general is better for the more mature recruits. It seems that they very quickly find.there feet and are pushed on to promote quickly as possible.
So in short if your fit enough ( contrary to belief the Guards really do place physical fitness quite highly. ) and you want something a bit different to the libe Infantry. Then go for it.
Also if your good looking and hung like a Grand national winner then the Coldstream Guards is the place for you. How ever if you have a face like a melted Wellington boot and a tiny nob the the Genideers will welcome you with open arms!.
Lifes to short for what ifs. Go give it a try and if you dont like it. Leave after 4 years and go drive a bus.

Your sincerely
Mr_r_sole ( Good looking and well Hung Coldstreamer).

Hello James,
Right first of all Mr James McGee aged 32. Change your bloody user name. As recruiters and Depot Staff have been know to frequent these pages. Not that you have made one but you wouldnt want a off the cuff comment coming back to bite you in the Arrse.
Secondly 32 is not too old for the Foot Guards. Infact it may go in your favour as you may well be pushed through for promotion courses. I've know blokes of your age join and be Platoon Sgt by the time they were 40.
If you decide to join the Foot Guards one bit of advise I would give you would be to stay out of Support Company as this would hinder your promotion. So unfortunately that's most off the "Alley" jobs gone. (Sniper, Recce,Mortars, Anti-Tanks ect). Although you can still have a good and varied career on a Rifel Company.
The Ceremonial "side" to the Guards is our very ethos. To do everything to the highest possible standard. No matter of that's Guarding her Majesties Fortress and Palaces. Or green soldiering. It's this ethos that can be both a blessing and a curse. The blessimg is the pride in knowing you've done something as well as it can be done. The curse is the resistance to change due to tradition. Tradition has its place of course but blind obedience to it can be a bit if a head banging moment at times.
Depending on which Regiment of the Guards you chose. Once finished training you would be posted to a Incremental Company in London. For anywhere between 2 months to 4 years. ( I'd keep quite about the PSV licence whislt there or your be driving for every shit duty going).
The Ceremonial stuff is actually quite fun and as mentioned up thread provides plenty of opportunities to get amongst the women of London.
After your stint at the Incremental Company you will be posted to Battalion. If you've shown some that you can think for your self and not be a general dick then chances are you will be thrown on a Drill and Dutys course ( Promotion Corse) pretty quickly. This is when you will get to go to.the home of the Guards Pirbright ( and meet the 3 sisters) and get fucked around for 8 weeks. Upon successful completion you should be made up to LCPL within 3 month's.
Again if you show that you can think and organise SCBC ( Juniors) should follow within a few years. Then on to PSBC ( Seniors) again a few years later probably after being posted to a training establishment. ( I know.of one Bloke who did all of this and was posted as the replacement for his section commander in training he was 28 when he joined). So less than 2 years to get to LSGT as we dont have Full screws ( Corporals ) in the Guards.
I do believe that the Guards and The Household Division in general is better for the more mature recruits. It seems that they very quickly find.there feet and are pushed on to promote quickly as possible.
So in short if your fit enough ( contrary to belief the Guards really do place physical fitness quite highly. ) and you want something a bit different to the libe Infantry. Then go for it.
Also if your good looking and hung like a Grand national winner then the Coldstream Guards is the place for you. How ever if you have a face like a melted Wellington boot and a tiny nob the the Genideers will welcome you with open arms!.
Lifes to short for what ifs. Go give it a try and if you dont like it. Leave after 4 years and go drive a bus.

Your sincerely
Mr_r_sole ( Good looking and well Hung Coldstreamer).
There’s loads to reply to there... but thank you so much for the advice. Of course based on my charm and good looks I’ll have to join the Coldstreamers!

Would you consider the Mounted Division as a viable option?

I was a funeral director for 13 years, too so I hope the humour is the same. Thanks.

There’s loads to reply to there... but thank you so much for the advice. Of course based on my charm and good looks I’ll have to join the Coldstreamers!

Would you consider the Mounted Division as a viable option?

I was a funeral director for 13 years, too so I hope the humour is the same. Thanks.
It depends on of you want to **** around with horses. Although the Foot Guards do have 5 permanent attachments to the Mounted regiments to learn horsey stuff. So if you are a serious horse botherer you could always do a 2 year attachment at some stage. We also have 6 platoon ( Guards Platoon) in 3 PARA. So if you feel the need to go sluming it for a few years with our Airbourn Brethren then theirs always that opportunity. ( I dont think they accept people from the Mounted Regiments due to lack of Infantry skills). Also I believe that a good portion of thier beloved Path Finders Platoon ( Formaly 18 Independent Gaurds Platoon. The sky fairys really dont like it when you remind them of this fact) have a Blue Red Blue ( Household Division TRF) patch on thier marron lids at the moment. I'm obviously biased but look into it. I cant answer too much about the Mounted regiments as the only dealings I've had with them is on courses and drinking them under the table in Windsor. But Seemed a.good bunch even if they do drink like girls.

ETA. The humor is very dark at times. Nothing is off limits.
Also be aware that some of the shit that happens in the block ( Single soliders accomdation) Would land you in the nick in Civvie street but is seen as perfectly normal behaviour. Or just put down to high spirits.
Also remember that you could be living in a 3 man room with a couple of 18 year olds for a few months.

Last edited:
Good morning, all.

I’d like to get some advice please? I’m 32, and in a position where I’m restarting my life after a failed business attempt in which I lost everything, including marriage and two children whom I see twice a month ☹️

After my mother died when I was 15, I began an adult life very quickly on my own and missed my chance to join up and follow my families tradition in the army.

Is 32 a realistic age to join? even though the limit is now 35 and if so, would joining the guards as I would like to do be a wise move or should I look at something else.

I have ridden horses before so mounted is of interest, although foot guards would be an honour - although I wouldn’t know where to start to choose which regiment. I also have a psv license so driving isn’t out of the question either. Any thoughts?
I would say go for it, but not infantry or guards, look at the corps

Well chaps I’m on the way to the careers office in Oxford so will let you know what they say. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Right... I’ve just been to the Army Careers office in Oxford and had a great chat with two advisors. One was REME and the other was RE so naturally they were keen for me to join theirs.... they were pleased about my interest and said that as long as my fitness is up to scratch then being 32 makes little or no difference at all.

The only thing they suggested, as has already been pointed out here is that most of the candidates will be much younger - and that it may be hard to get used to a 20 odd year old corporal screaming at me.

Also, they pointed out that there are limits on the time you can serve based upon your success in the army (ie if you’re not a corporal by a certain time then they’ll be unlikely to increase your serving time).

So now all I need to think about is how to tell my ex wife that I’m not gonna be around the corner for the children... that’s a toughie. And also giving up my rented home for army life...

Any thoughts?

Also... they suggested foot guards as an alternative to mounted but they’re more changing the recruitment process so you can switch regiments depending on what you want to do (ceremonial or infantry work)

REME & RE both will give you a trade, depends which trade you want to do?
If you served for X years would your trade get you a job in civvy street at the end of X years?
Or would you care what you did after X years in?

Latest Threads