Late may bank holiday ideas - London-europe by car?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by five-minute-fagbreak, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Planning to go early sat morning thru eurotunnel by car to...? anywhere really, just me and the mrs, no kids and come back on monday morning.
    Not too far, France, Belgium, Germany, somewhere with sightseeing during the day and bit of life at night for a pi$$ up with the locals.
    Any secret places you have stumbled across and wanted to go back some day?
    And no I don't need somewhere to sell the wife to pay for the fare home - this ain't the naafi :wink:
    Fallingbostal, Monchengladbach, Detmold, Munster, Honne, and various death camps ain't really a good idea - tho I'm sure I would enjoy them :D :puker:
  2. Normandy Beach's
    Well worth the effort and you can convince her indoors its a trip to the seaside. Caen isn't a bad place on a night time.
  3. Could always make yourself really popular with her and do a battlefield tour of northern France and Flanders? :D

Ypres, Mons, Amiens, Vimy Ridge.............need I go on? :wink:

Your man is right. Normandy is good too - the home of Calvados. Lovely stuff.

Course you COULD go to Bruges for a bit so she can buy loads of Belgian Chocolate........... :roll:
  4. Bumped for the afternoon mob :wink:
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

With Mr D on Gent. Agree Belgians in general are a misserable bunch, but they can be excused here ;) You can take in Waterloo which is in the area, it really is worth seeing where it actually happened.

Plenty more to see and do in the area.
  6. If this is your thing or your good ladies' then clickTulip Fields

Went there a few years back and got to admit that it was really impressive.
    Mrs loved it - many many brownie points to be had.

7. Damn can't get the brownie points, place closes on the 18th may, might go next spring tho.
    Ghents looking good at the moment........
  8. Try the euro tunnel, I've booked last minute on their website before and got return trips for around £25!
  9. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

What about the Mosel Valley - a little bit of a trek but worth it - and you can buy loads of booze and break the axle on your motor!!!

Cochem, Bernkastler, Nuemagen Dhron are all good.

German wine has had a bad press (no pun intended) - buying at source you find a whole new world. I have a number of fantastic trips there.

BTW you can stop off at the Bitburger brewery on the way to a lap around the Nurburgring as well!!
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Have to agree with that as well, sycophant that I am :D It's a bit more of a drive but a great weekend can be had there. The Mosel is the home of lots of castles as well as vinyards. Trier is a good jump off point or Koblenz to start then head west my boy.

Vogelsang is in the area too if you know of that, although now a civvy museum type place its rather decrepit from its glory days as an Army training centre, still worth the visit though. Walking up those steps was much easier as a civvy :D

As another option you could fly to Holland, but instead of heading to shitty Amsterdam get on the other platform and head south to The Hague, much less in your face and lots to do. plenty of culture, bars and eateries without the tourist crap of Amsterdam, as well as some great beaches with lots of topless totty to letch at. ;)
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Steady :D

Definitely worth seeing but don't base your holiday around it.

Once you've climbed the Lion Monument and seen the diorama, it's not really a great day out. All you can really do after that is look at the replica weapons on sale.

We went on a day-trip from SHAPE and that was quite long enough.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Fair one, I perhaps should have explained its worth dropping in on if in the area rather than the reason to go in itself. :oops:
  13. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Off topic for one post - I think that is the first time Ord_Sgt and I have agreed on anything!!!!!! Miracles can happen!! :wink:
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Damned funny and relevant too. Make sure I invite you to my next BBQ.
  15. You can book eurotunnel for a silly o'clock 0000-0600 departure and come back next day at late o'clock (enough time to do a B&B) for £44.00. Worth a go if two of you are travelling, you can make the train fare back by visiting Adinkerke on the French/Belgian border for duty free.