Late Entry Officer?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by kiwi1938, Nov 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

How does becoming a LE Officer work.
    I'd like to join the army as an Officer and try become a Pilot, but due to not being a UK permanant resident/citizenship requirements, I can't join as one right away.

How does the LE Officer recruiting work?
    Can anyone try for it or do you have to be recommended for it?

Also, if you've been a solider for a few years then become an officer, what does your pay/rank rise to?

Thanks in advance.

2. An LE officer is a Late Entry officer, and it is just that; Late! If you want to be an army officer then wait out for the citizenship stuff to kick in and then join. If you want to be a soldier then join now and crack on; but don't expect it to be easy to then suddenly switch to being an officer.

My genuine advice is decide if you want to be an Officer or a Soldier and go for that careers path. If you think you can beat the system and have the best of both worlds, you are likely to come a cropper.

3. Try the RAF...and at least Major...

4. Ive been in 21 years and am still a Sgt, I told my Boss last week that if I dont come off the Staffy board next year that I'll be commissioning. It doesnt get much later than that.

5. Whats it like trying to change army to RAF?
    Would it be easier to change Army to RAF or to stay within the Army to change solider to pilot?
    I also see in the RAF the oldest you can join as a Pilot is 25yrs, so I might be out of luck there too.

Switchback, what's a cropper? I've been trying my best to get with the lingo on this website, but a lot of its waaaaay beyond me.