Last Vulcan flight yesterday over Suffolk

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I saw a Vulcan at Bournemouth. I've got some video that I will put up

Saw the Vulcan at Yeovilton Air Show for the first time last month. My photos aren't fantastic though , dammit. Kids are now very interested in all things aerial which is great fun.

I still think I had more fun at the air show than they did...

I was just reading this and thinking it is such a shame I'll never see it flying, when there is a roar of jet engines that drowns out the radio. Rushing outside I've just seen it heading Northwest towards Exeter, pity I didn't pick up my phone to take a photo.

Although I've seen XH558 display at Waddington the best view was when sitting in my hotel's beer garden in a rural setting about 8 miles from Silloth in Cumbria drinking cold Guiness on a very sunny afternoon in 2009.

Suddenly hundreds of birds took to the air from farmland nearby, in front of me, heading South east, about 30 seconds or so later the Vulcan flew over the hotel, from behind me, at about 3,000ft heading South west.

Such a great sight I had to down a few more of the cold stuff to celebrate.

I have an abiding image of sitting outside during break time in my second to last year of primary school in the hot summer of 1976
We were probably on Kineton or Lonf Matston at the time but the school was definitely RAF Gaydon
Suddenly out of nowhere a huge Vulcan did a low level left bank
It was absolutely awesome for a young 10 year old
The Stone Roses video to Love Spreads also has a similar snippet which to my memory is exactly the same as that hot summer of 76

I just happened to be in the only wooded area for miles when it roared overhead and (of consequence) saw f-all. I did hear the beast tho. Two minutes earlier and it would've been perfect. Bollocks!

DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG

XL391.... hope this doesn't spoil the reminiscing.... she wilted at Blackpool Airport for years, finally chopped up with a crane and a one ton blade. All four engines had been saved and sold though.

Attachments

Last edited:
(sniffily) When I were a lad, they flew over my Grandma's house 3 or 4 times a day . . . .
(equally sniffily) Lightnings all day, Vulcans once a month or so [dispersal familiarisation] over my house, plus just about anything else military that flew 1965-1976 in the UK.

(equally sniffily) Lightnings all day, Vulcans once a month or so [dispersal familiarisation] over my house, plus just about anything else military that flew 1965-1976 in the UK.
. . . . Before it became a car factory, we would use a Vulcan parked up at Washington (Tyne and Wear) as a navigation aid when we were lining up the Cessna on the selected exit point for skydiving :-D

Was that the same one that is back in the air now?