Last unexplored places on earth?

I can remember being given a blank, grid only map with "Lack of relief data" printed on it in Libya, ans another with "Obscured by cloud" in the Falkland Islands,
Sounds like the Blackadder sketch, when General Melchett looks at the map on the table and says;

"God, it's a barren, featureless desert out there !"

Capt. Darling; "No Sir, the map's the wrong way round !".

Book Reviewer
Long ago .. class shown some very secret maps, with large blanks on them .. colleague of mine pipes up with 'Oh, yes, I've been there.' Gasp from instructor.

meanwhile, Admiralty charts always used to show date of original survey and who by. Used one where Captain James Cook was taking the credit.
Sounds like the Blackadder sketch, when General Melchett looks at the map on the table and says;

"God, it's a barren, featureless desert out there !"

Capt. Darling; "No Sir, the map's the wrong way round !".
Reminded me of a book which my daughter bought for me last year as a birthday present … “ The Heart of the Antarctic “ by Shackleton … a record of his unsuccessful attempt to reach the South Pole in 1907/09 and published in ( my version ) 1935 . The beginning of the book proudly displays …. various plate photographs in black and white and a fully coloured and detailed map of the expedition . First time I opened the map I saw the reverse side which was unprinted white and then turned it over to see basically another white sheet with Latitude and Longitude lines and an outline of the land mass / ice shelf with a few locations named . On closer examination the full colour aspects emerged … the record of days/miles/camps covered was identified in black on the outward journey and red on the return .
Interesting thread. There are dense and remote wooded parts of New Hampshire in the USA which you could get lost in and simply vanish if your not careful. Apparently they find bodies of lost hunters etc all the time out there. Even when a plane comes down it sometimes takes months to find the crash site, so I have read. Now heres the thing. The vast acreage of those woods were once farms and small towns. you can still stumble across drystone walls and old stone house structures etc. the trees reclaimed that land when they all went west in the 1870s (I think !) anyway they went west for better land and opportunity. so, once civilisation now wilderness.
Wasnt the book the Bill Bryson one A Walk in the Woods
Seems unlikely that Carto section would bother producing a map with **** all on it. There are indeed maps with cloud obscuring data but usually just small patches where a map has been produced from an air phot. It's implausible that a pilot would go on an air survey over a completely cloud-obscured area, take photos regardless and then hand a grey image to carto who then produce a blank map from it.
Come on mate, it was a comedy sketch poking fun at staff officers with no idea of the realities of war !

Not a portrayal of military cartography !

Book Reviewer
Until Satellite mapping in the 80s, there were vast tracts of the world that had never been overflown, most maps not produced by the British Ordnance survey were inaccurate in some small way,even as recent as the Falklands war, maps and charts over a hundred years out of date were used and this is the reason the HMS Glamorgan was hit by an Exocet, the chart used by the navigator on board was wrong> In fact the UK Hydrogrphic Office had solds out all its up to date charts to the Arggys. In North Africa anywhere away from the coast was still basicaly unmapped until the late 70s and then only useing sun compass and theodalite, both of which can be very inaccurate,
The oldest maps in my collection are reproductions dating back to 1475, and are more like works of art than real maps, most of that time set Jerusalem as the centre of the world, that is why we orientate maps, orient+East get it
This is John Speeds 1610 map of Cardiff and as the streetplan in the area is unchanged, is very accurate even though it is scaled in paces, I think he was a bit shorter than me as I always come to a slightly lower number when I paced it out
That's cool, I've got a map from a couple hundred years ago of Derbyshire and even next to a modern map the general scale looks pretty decent. I'll have to look for proper dates in a bit.
The USAF conducted mapping flights in the 40s, 50s and into the 60s.
Athough the U2 was initially a CIA airplane the USAF did use it.
To overcome range limitations successful carrier launched flights were achieved.

When satellite imagery improved, Corona was the name for keyhole satellites which proved adept at filling in the gaps.
Croydon Town Centre after 8pm!
Operation Trident are nearly always kept busy on Friday/Saturday Night.
And Croydons main hospital is named Mayday after the international call sign for when the shit hits the fan!
Says it all really, oh & if your new to the UK you may get sent to Lunar (Loony) House to sign in as an undesirable!!!
croyden is a lovely place I once met a girl there and I won't have a word said against it, admittdly she had 15 fingers on each hand and her teeth were on a hinge but i loved her for 7 1/2 whole minutes
i wish i knew i never got her name before burying what was left under the patio
There's still undiscovered tribes living in the Amazon that have gone thousands of years without outside contact. And I believe there is still hundreds of pacific islands that people have yet to step foot on

80% of the ocean floors also remain undiscovered.