Last time the Crabs were actually engaged in combat fighter on fighter.

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm guessing Korea...I know I could probably get an answer off Google, but I have a feeling I can get a more interesting and enlightening response here...

morsk

LE
Falklands. Did you honestly not see ANY of that? Harriers v Puccaras? Ring any bells. Man, you have been puff tha erb hard......

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Falkland Islands again with the navy?

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
Morsk and Old Yin...aha!!! I never realised we actually engaged in the air with the Argies, never supposed they had anything that wasn't powered by a two-stroke engine ;)

morsk

LE
Morsk and Old Yin...aha!!! I never realised we actually engaged in the air with the Argies, never supposed they had anything that wasn't powered by a two-stroke engine ;)
No one did mate, I think that was half the trouble

Auld Yin will tell you about it with more authority. I was still playing war with sticks at the time .....

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
But generally, this is confirming my thoughts. Korea- three years, finished 1953. Falklands 1982, a few months.......perhaps fighters are now obsolete ?

Pretty expensive obsolescence at that....

wafubustard

War Hero
They had some air to air with a Phantom and Jaguar over Germany.

The RAF got a confirmed kill.

Korea. With the Fleet Air Arm.
CORPORATE. 1/3 of the registered kills off the SHAR fleet were RAF blokes flying Sea Harriers, some with very very scant conversion beforehand. The highest scoring SHAR pilot of CORPORATE was the then Flt Lt (later, after his transfer, Lt Cdr) David Morgan.

Air War in the Falklands

Falklands legacy » 11 May 2002 » The Spectator Archive

The four newcomers rushed toward the smoke billowing up from Fitzroy Bay and toward a small landing craft that was being watched by two Sea Harriers on CAP. RAF Flight Lieutenant David Morgan hit two of them with Sidewinders, then pulled straight up to let his wingman, Lieutenant David Smith, take a shot, which destroyed a third Skyhawk. The encounter brought Morgan’s tally to four, the most of any British pilot in the war.

Yokel

LE
1. Yawn! Not this again!

2. If you are going to list Korea with RN units (and RAAF), then why not the Falklands, also with RN units?

3. Air defence and air superiority are so much more than splashes! @Magic_Mushroom and @Archimedes might be able to recall occasions in which the potential air to air fight never happened, as the Iraqi or Serb jet chose not to fight
4. Have you tried reading something like One Hundred Days by Admiral Sandy Woodward, the Falklands task group commander?

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
Navy keeps coming up...it is our backbone, well, was. Last naval...ship v. ship conflict ? Lawd, must be....ages ago.

Yes, yes, offshore platforms for other means.......it's all changed but money is still being pumped into redundant forms of fighting todays potential conflicts...

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
Serendipity...a Slovak Jazz player mate just stuck this up elsewhere...beautiful toys...

It's high time we disbanded the RAF and split it between the army and navy.

Ciggie

On ROPS
On ROPs
No, no, no, just send them home to look after their ghey lovers....I mean both..and no disrespect to the Senior Service, today there isn't much need...there are all sorts in every wing.. the fighters, for the sharp end...get the gheys into some kind of catering corps. top calories, max flavour, min weight.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Given its the RN and the RAF that seem to have all their ducks lined up in a row re:- equipment procurement and long term plans, I'd suggest your idea would be a ******* disaster.

RAF Phantom verses Jaguar RAF Germany 1982?. Splash one jag.

morsk

LE
@Solo Dave Rather than just pressing the dumb button, throw your hat in the ring. What is your opinion on this? As it stands, you are coming off like a right belter mate

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
This is all in a thread in the Falklands forum. Nothing new here.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Okay, I'll take this on.

The Light Blue Wonders have continued to turn it in in terms of close air support right up to the present day. They do it in the face of the severest threats.

They're actually a bit good.

That's it, really.

Move on.

Latest Threads