Last survivor of HMS Hood dies

85 is a good age to get to I suppose. At least he got to get to that age unlike his shipmates that he served with in HMS Hood. I couldn't possibly begin to imagine how he felt losing over 1400 oppos.

Very sad to hear though. RIP shipwreck.

knockknee said:
HMS Hood steel and Titanic steel made in same works ? One day honour them with the truth

RIP

WTF are you dribbling about ? :x
The DESIGN CONCEPT of ANY Battlecruiser was flawed, no need to invent "secret reasons". :roll:

Saw him on the TV a few times, looked to be a thoroughly decent bloke.

RIP.

RIP and God Bless.

My late Grandfather served aboard the Hood, although he had transferred to another ship before her loss. I too was impressed with the dignity he showed in various documentries.

I've just visited the website to follow up a story my late dad (served in RN during WW2) told me - that Jon Pertwee of Dr Who and Wurzel Gummage fame survived the sinking of the Hood.

He was nearly right! Jon Pertwee did serve on Hood until 1941, but must have left the ship shortly before her final voyage. He is not listed as one of the three survivors.

M

Mediaeval said:
I've just visited the website to follow up a story my late dad (served in RN during WW2) told me - that Jon Pertwee of Dr Who and Wurzel Gummage fame survived the sinking of the Hood.

He was nearly right! Jon Pertwee did serve on Hood until 1941, but must have left the ship shortly before her final voyage. He is not listed as one of the three survivors.

M
He did serve aboard Hood, but was left behind (I think due to illness?) at Scapa Flow when she sailed with Prince of Wales to meet Bismarck.

I remember seeing Jon Pertwee on the telly many years ago on 'This is You Life' when Ted Briggs and Bob Tilburn came on the show.

RIP Indeed- A very lucky man.

Never knew about Jon Pertwee either..

As a footnote, I remember watching the CH4 programme about the search for the wreck of the Hood that was on a couple of years ago. A couple of days later there was a letter in the Daily Telegraph from a woman from Portsmouth (who I guess was in her sixties) who wrote something like- 'I would like to thank CH4 for producing and showing the documentry about HMS Hood, it enabled me to say goodbye to my father whom I never was able to meet'.

Just shows that what we think of as history still affects some people today.

Good on you Ted. Eighty five is a pretty good innings. You certainly

did your bit. Must have tough living with the fact that 1400 of your

oppos died. RIP old son.