Last survivor of HMS Hood dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cpunk, Oct 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

See here.

Sad news. Mind you, I imagine that he lived much longer than he expected to on a certain day in 1941.
  2. Ted Briggs. What a great name.
  3. Yes, a very sad day.

No mention yet over at Rum ration
  4. 85 is a good age to get to I suppose. At least he got to get to that age unlike his shipmates that he served with in HMS Hood. I couldn't possibly begin to imagine how he felt losing over 1400 oppos.

Very sad to hear though. RIP shipwreck.
  5. I suppose he got a fair share of extra time.
    Still sad to hear he has passed away though
  6. HMS Hood steel and Titanic steel made in same works ? One day honour them with the truth

7. WTF are you dribbling about ? :x
    The DESIGN CONCEPT of ANY Battlecruiser was flawed, no need to invent "secret reasons". :roll:
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

RIP Sir,And thank you.
  9. Another old salt from a byegone age passes 'over the bar'.
    RIP Ted.
    I'll break out the rum.
  10. Saw him on the TV a few times, looked to be a thoroughly decent bloke.

11. makes one's heart so heavy reading stories like this. "a perfect gentleman". Rest in Peace Sir.
  12. RIP and God Bless.

My late Grandfather served aboard the Hood, although he had transferred to another ship before her loss. I too was impressed with the dignity he showed in various documentries.
  13. I've just visited the website to follow up a story my late dad (served in RN during WW2) told me - that Jon Pertwee of Dr Who and Wurzel Gummage fame survived the sinking of the Hood.

He was nearly right! Jon Pertwee did serve on Hood until 1941, but must have left the ship shortly before her final voyage. He is not listed as one of the three survivors.

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

RIP Shippers