Last Post

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Wingletang, Oct 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For over 20 years, I have served in the TA without a moments hesitation, having achieved consecutive Bounty qualification throughout.

I have turned up on Friday nights when I didn't really want to, leaving my family who I hadn't really seen for much of the week anyway, arrived home late and exhausted, yet had to turn up for work bright on the Monday morning.

I have been away for weeks on end, in far flung places, with the minimum of kit and no allowances.

I have crept my way up the food chain, and reached a point where I can influence and take part.

I have worked with regulars, most of whom became friends, and who I believe respected me as much as I respected them.

I have given of my time, my energy, and my career - convinced that over the 20+ years, only once did being part of the TA help me with my employer - for the majority of the time it was an encumbrance; more so of late.

I have been disappointed, fed up, and misunderstood, yet I have seen comradeship, trust and empathy that has wiped out any disillusionment, often from those that you least expect.

I had times of great joy, job satisfaction beyond comparison, and often when I was so tired, I could hardly stand.

I have experienced pomp at the Cenotaph, at numerous Dinners, in St Pauls, and enjoyed royal visits.

I have cleaned the toilets, run a BFT at 6am in the morning, and remembered my weapons drill.

I have been solemn on distant battlefields, joining with my peers in understanding the sacrifice always cogniscent of the value of life.

I have had many opportunities, many challenges, much fun, hilarity even, and on a few occasions deep deep humility.

I have been part of something that has changed my life...irrevocably...for the good, yet all the while I am comfortable that I have given much back in return - it has always been a partnership, the TA always gave back as much if not more than that one was prepared to commit.

Throughout, as is the way of leadership and command, I had trust in my superiors, trust that they would always do the right thing, trust that ultimately the organisation would go on to greater things.

I am however now deflated. Recent events have left me incapable of trusting the CofC. We appear to be dispensible to the Government, which I cannot reconcile with the efforts and contribution made by so many people over the last two decades.

When asked we delivered.

This is not a just outcome and I have decided that enough is enough. I have better things to do, where I can make a difference and that my contribution is valued.

I will watch from the wings - good luck to all of you, regular and territorial.

My last post.
  2. msr

msr LE

I trust you have sent a copy of this to the CGS.

And many thanks for your useful and informative posts.

I suspect that your comments chime with many of us, Oct 2009 sees the 20th anniversary of my attestation.

3. Don't jump. Wait to be pushed.

There's always a chance that you can step to one side at the last moment.
  4. See you on OP PERSIAN FREEDOM, old-timer.
  5. Nice idea, shame with all the cutbacks his e-mail is probably turned off ans he`ll never see it.
    Cynical? Moi?
  6. msr

msr LE

That'll be Op GLASS FLOOR. The TA is not required.

7. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

My bold.

Yesterday was the 27th anniversary of mine. In all the sound and fury I had quite forgotten until I read this. Sorry to see you go like this Wingletang - you'll be a loss if you do really go - in RL as well as here.
  8. Just wait and see.
  9. There is only one answer.
    We are witnessing the endgame of a KGB plan, instituted in the 1950`s to destroy western civilisation.
    No other reasoning explains the complete abortion and paradoy of itself that our society/Nation has become.
    Rant over.
    Sorry you feel this way WT, I`m sure your not alone
  10. As an ex TA soldier I have been watching current events closely. One thing I have noticed is how many of my former colleagues (Some of whom are excellent soldiers) are knocking it all on the head and walking away. Cuts such as these during times of war? Unforgiveable!

Hence the mass popping of smoke will continue and instead of losing the dead wood who will see £££ signs somewhere in the future you will lose the hard workers who have had their hard work thrown back in their faces.
  11. msr

msr LE

I predict a large exodus in April once bounties are in the bank.

12. Someone needs a hug.

Now fucking man up, stop whining and get back to the job. You'll find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and syphilis and if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined.
  13. Made the kids happy today by calling Endex on the TA. Perhaps i have finaly realised where my priorities ought to be.
  14. I'm expecting the punchline on this particular joke to be awesome.
  15. Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

SDR would have resulted in a lot more bad press as they had to decide who to cut and why, wasting time money and effort.

This way they just turn off the power and start again with whoever is still there if/when the lights come back on.