Last post Sounds at Hampshire U.S Army Base.

Workers at RAF Hythe are preparing to say farewell to their workplace & jobs tommorow.

The US Army is quitting the 11 acre shipyard after 40 years and will hand the keys back to the MOD. The base which services and repairs watercraft, contributes an estimated £4.5m to the UK economy.

Work halted last month after three partly-rebuilt tugboats were towed across the Atlantic to be completed in the U.S.

Southampton's Mayor will be among the dignitaries attending the casing of the colours closing ceremony on Friday.

A U.S Army spokeswoman said it was part of the U.S Defense departments global repositioning strategy.

New Forest East MP Dr Julian Lewis & the workers lobbied intensivly to keep the base open.

DigitalGeek said:
Mad_Moriarty said:
A U.S Army spokeswoman said it was part of the U.S Defense departments global repositioning strategy.
Have they relocated it to Iran then? :?
No, they either sent to them France or Italy, those two seem to build all the cruise liners these days for British companies. Whats wrong with our shipyards????

Whats wrong with our shipyards????[/quote]

I'm afraid we don't have any anymore, there may be some ship repair facilities around but so far as commercial shipbuilding is concerned that seems to be a thing of the past so far as the UK is concerned

I'm afraid we don't have any anymore, there may be some ship repair facilities around but so far as commercial shipbuilding is concerned that seems to be a thing of the past so far as the UK is concerned
What about H&W?

merchantman said:
Whats wrong with our shipyards????
I suppose T45 and CVF are bought from foreigners then.

Crab_Cadet said:
merchantman said:
I did say commercial shipbuilding, as in the building of commercial ships, unless the RN do a few odd jobs on the side they are not included.

As far as H&W are concerned, I stand to be corrected but I think their main business is ship repair, they do I believe have a ship building capability but I think a large part of their construction portfolio is for the offshore industry.

Crab_Cadet said:
merchantman said:
They will be(!) assembled in the UK but are around 50% by value non-UK sourced. Check Richard Beedall's excellent 'Navy Matters' site for details.

merchantman said:
Crab_Cadet said:
merchantman said:
I did say commercial shipbuilding, as in the building of commercial ships, unless the RN do a few odd jobs on the side they are not included.

As far as H&W are concerned, I stand to be corrected but I think their main business is ship repair, they do I believe have a ship building capability but I think a large part of their construction portfolio is for the offshore industry.
According to the company website : Harland and Wolff continues to pursue its traditional markets in ship building. When was the last ship built there then?.

Mad_Moriarty said:
Workers at RAF Hythe are preparing to say farewell to their workplace & jobs tommorow.

The US Army is quitting the 11 acre shipyard after 40 years and will hand the keys back to the MOD. The base which services and repairs watercraft, contributes an estimated £4.5m to the UK economy.

Work halted last month after three partly-rebuilt tugboats were towed across the Atlantic to be completed in the U.S.

Southampton's Mayor will be among the dignitaries attending the casing of the colours closing ceremony on Friday.

New Forest East MP Dr Julian Lewis & the workers lobbied intensivly to keep the base open.
Am right beside there. Not been inside the fence at all but be a shame to see it go, especially if it does indeed contribute that much to the local/waterside economy.

Only ever seen a few 'yanks' about the local environs though... how many US personnel were there? - couldnt have been many.

merchantman said:
See the link below

http://www.answers.com/topic/harland-and-wolff

Quote:
Harland and Wolff's last ship to date was the MV Anvil Point, a Ro-Ro freighter built for use by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, with hire to civilian contractors when the ship is not needed. The ship, built under sub-contract from German shipbuilders Flensburger, was launched in 2003. Unquote
She & her sister ship Hurst Point sails up Southampton Water often. Docks at Marchwood SMC

I have to admit, I've never heard of this place, but having an RAF station run by the Army for the purpose of servicing boats has PENTAGON stamped all over it. :D

crabtastic said:
I have to admit, I've never heard of this place, but having an RAF station run by the Army for the purpose of servicing boats has PENTAGON stamped all over it. :D
I only live down the road from it, It's more of a warehouse looking complex with a big green roof!.

All US bases in theis country are designated RAF - something to do with WW2 (I don't know why).

The only US serviceman there is the CO who lives on the officers married quarters at 17 Port & Maritime Regt, Marchwood. Everyone else who work there are locals.

There are 4 'point' class RO-RO ferries operated by Andrew Wier Shipping Ltd. These are civillian crews working for the MoD, they are not RFA. There are a further 2 Point ships on commercial activities that can be called back at short notice should the government require them.

These are:

Hartland Point
Hurst Point
Anvil Point
Eddystone

2 on commercial activities:

Beachy Head
Longstone

OC_Trucks said:
All US bases in theis country are designated RAF - something to do with WW2 (I don't know why).

The only US serviceman there is the CO who lives on the officers married quarters at 17 Port & Maritime Regt, Marchwood. Everyone else who work there are locals.

There are 4 'point' class RO-RO ferries operated by Andrew Wier Shipping Ltd. These are civillian crews working for the MoD, they are not RFA. There are a further 2 Point ships on commercial activities that can be called back at short notice should the government require them.

These are:

Hartland Point
Hurst Point
Anvil Point
Eddystone

2 on commercial activities:

Beachy Head
Longstone
Living just up the road from RAF Hythe, Im well aware " Everyone else working there were locals", 200 in fact!.

Hythe had a DOD Civvy boss & an Officer of junior rank.

I think you will find, the American who lives in the Marchwood married quarters is on a Personnel Exchange Program and assigned to the 17th Port & Maritime. He has nothing to do with RAF Hythe.