Last post salute question.

Andre

Old-Salt
Question for those that can help, on the last post Officers and WO's in uniform salute, so which is the correct custom:

a. Salute raised on first note, then dropped on the first note of the call after the 2 minute silence.

b. Salute raised on the first note, then dropped on the last note before the 2 minute silence.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• ARMED FORCES SALUTES 03.png
    ARMED FORCES SALUTES 03.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 15

Boxy

GCM
Salute for the duration of the call
Apparently not during RBL ceremonies as headdress should have already been removed

Andre

Old-Salt
Thank you both does anyone know where it is written down (Army direction), it seams in practice there are two versions.

Boxy

GCM
Thank you both does anyone know where it is written down (Army direction), it seams in practice there are two versions.
I couldn’t see it in the Drill Manual 2017 but only had a quick scan

You may have already covered it in post one.
As long as the appropriate compliment Is payed, I can’t see a problem.

Andre

Old-Salt
You may have already covered it in post one.
As long as the appropriate compliment Is payed, I can’t see a problem.
Absolutely so long as we all do the same right. However I left my arm up first year with the Unit I am attached as I had always done, one of the WO said that was wrong. The next year to conform I dropped my arm expecting them all to do the same, and guess what they all left them up as I had done... I thought I would ask before this years service.

Absolutely so long as we all do the same right. However I left my arm up first year with the Unit I am attached as I had always done, one of the WO said that was wrong. The next year to conform I dropped my arm expecting them all to do the same, and guess what they all left them up as I had done... I thought I would ask before this years service.
They changed their tactics, then?
Do what you have to do, and if ever questioned, deploy the usual: “in my Corps….”
They will never check. Works for troopers and baby officers alike. Be polite, smile, and when amongst the enemy (everyone not your Regiment) keep deploying.

This is taken from the RBL Ceremonial Handbook:

12.3. Saluting for the Last Post. The right arm and hand is brought up to the position of the salute on the first note of Last Post. The arm is returned smartly to the position of attention on the last note. If carrying a cane – the left arm should be moved to be straight down by the side at the same time as the right hand is brought to the salute, the left arm returning to hold the cane as the right hand is returned to the position of attention.

Make of that what you will.

I would guess that, being a Remembrance Parade, following the RBL guidance would be the way forward.

Search Youtube for a good example .... Cenotaph or FoR a good start, although they may not feature it happening as they tend to avoid a continuous shot.

diehard57

War Hero
I always use this as a guide to paying compliments during the playing of the Last Post…

Moonraker

Old-Salt
Ceremonial for the Army (Army Code No. 70460 )

Screenshot_1.png

Latest Threads