Last Post - Hounslow Cavalry Barracks

As stated 73-6, the added bonus, was my father and his brother had an electrical stores, workshop and office on the upper floors of 47 Carnaby street. On one of my forays into london,( could have been mill hill REME or empress state?) i swerved by Carnaby street in my 4 ton bedford RL ( 27EP19) and parked up in the street, attempting to see my dad, only to get moved on by plod, you have to understand that the army could do no wrong, we could go anywhere we liked, and plod were on notice to render all assistance and help, as the micks were in the middle of their bombing campaign of london, but on this occasion, they felt i was pushing it a bit to far, as the street isn't all that wide, certainly not wide enough for a green machine like a RL bedford. Different times, different mind-sets. :p

Ah so, you were not the guy with the Viva Zapata moustache, dressed in a long-collared flowery shirt and hipster jeans, propping up a corner of the junior ranks bar.

Ah so, you were not the guy with the Viva Zapata moustache, dressed in a long-collared flowery shirt and hipster jeans, propping up a corner of the junior ranks bar.
Not quite, but i did have, and still do have a denim jacket totally covered with sewn on slogan badges, which i wore occasionally while in the mob, there is a photo somewhere in one of the threads. Its about 55 years old now.:numberone::kiss::relax:

Not quite, but i did have, and still do have a denim jacket totally covered with sewn on slogan badges, which i wore occasionally while in the mob, there is a photo somewhere in one of the threads. Its about 55 years old now.:numberone::kiss::relax:
I remember 'patches' being quite a thing. Not with me, though. I never really understood the message conveyed by such slogans as, 'Keep on Trucking!' (Was this an exhortation to lorry drivers?). Magic Bus Company patches were also quite common. Apart from a plethora of cannabis related items, there seemed to be a preponderance of patches aimed at the HGV and PSV community.

I remember 'patches' being quite a thing. Not with me, though. I never really understood the message conveyed by such slogans as, 'Keep on Trucking!' (Was this an exhortation to lorry drivers?). Magic Bus Company patches were also quite common. Apart from a plethora of cannabis related items, there seemed to be a preponderance of patches aimed at the HGV and PSV community.
Cast your mind back to the swinging sixties, LSD, Ginsburg, Dr timothy leary, the Beatles, keep the pope off the moon etc patch badges that covered every aspect of swinging london, and the explosion of the teen world, politics against the Vietnam war, the moon landings, readily available drugs, the counter culture, and flower power, and just about every topic of the era, as long as it was against the establishment and " The Man":party::joker::relax::numberone:

Hey man, if you don't understand it, you're like,... square man, not with it, get with the beat, its groovy to be hip.:applaud::party::flower:

That and your heavy use of colourful emojis indicates to me that you may well have been the guy with the Viva Zapata moustache, dressed in a long-collared flowery shirt and hipster jeans, propping up a corner of the junior ranks bar.

The smell of patchouli is overpowering.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Hated the damn place, a tour of NI was a blessed relief and after that tour I was out.
Happiest day of my life up to then was driving out of that place for the last time giving the finger as I passed under the barrier.
I was there from sometime in 81 to April 84, I think the battalion had a few more years there before they had a new posting.

Latest Threads