Last Person in Receipt of American Civil War Pension Dies

Bodenplatte

Old-Salt
Irene Triplett, aged 90, in a nursing home in Wilkesboro NC, on Sunday May 31, 2020

Her father was aged 83 when she was born in 1930, her mother 50 years younger.

endure

GCM
Irene Triplett, aged 90, in a nursing home in Wilkesboro NC, on Sunday May 31, 2020

Her Dad was a bit of a go-er...

the durty oul scutter!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Her Dad was a bit of a go-er...
Or too deaf and blind to see his wife of 33 years of age banging the farmhand(s)!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Swapped sides too, must have made things interesting after the scuffle was over. Him going back to the south after fighting for the North.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Are you suggesting that she was a grudge baby?
Someone had it in for him.
No idea, it was 90 years ago and no FaceAche to keep the world informed!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A elderly Civil War veteran pensioner was quite a catch for young lass in those days, it would set her up for life.
I believe the pension only passed on to offspring if they were handicapped- something probably more likely to happen if the father was elderly

A elderly Civil War veteran pensioner was quite a catch for young lass in those days, it would set her up for life.
I believe the pension only passed on to offspring if they were handicapped- something probably more likely to happen if the father was elderly
What happened a lot in those days in both Britain and America was that an old bloke would marry a young girl, spend his (few) remaining years shagging his lights out, then popping his clogs, dead but with a happy smile on the face of the corpse.

The (still)young filly would then be set up for life and marry a toy boy. I think the modern term for it is 'Golddiggers'.

I dont think it was a massive amount

About 20 odd years ago there were a few people claiming to be wives/children of civil war soldiers, more so on the confederacy side, they seemed to celebrate the individual(s) more. It seemed to me at the time that they didnt have to do alot to prove it.

There appears to be a restriction on widows pensions in some states.

Latest Threads