Last of the Gun Boats - 1968 documentary.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
There are a fair number of RN documentaries on YouTube now (they seemed to have been filming them every couple of years n the 1970s!), this one peaked my interest though, as it was by the legendary foreign correspondent James Cameron. In that respect it was a bit disappointing. I'd always admired Cameron, but he just comes across as a polemical, ill-informed pr1ck here, especially at the end.

On the other hand, there are some decent Sea-Vixen and Buccaneer shots as well crew interviews. Some interesting chat about the potential of the UK getting involved in the Viet Nam conflict etc. Any, thought some of the old sea dogs might appreciate the share:

Last of the Gun Boats

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I'd always admired Cameron, but he just comes across as a polemical, ill-informed pr1ck here, especially at the end.
Really though he is only reflecting the view at the time that conventional fleets were doomed and ICBM's were the way ahead!

There are a fair number of RN documentaries on YouTube now (they seemed to have been filming them every couple of years n the 1970s!), this one peaked my interest though, as it was by the legendary foreign correspondent James Cameron. In that respect it was a bit disappointing. I'd always admired Cameron, but he just comes across as a polemical, ill-informed pr1ck here, especially at the end.

On the other hand, there are some decent Sea-Vixen and Buccaneer shots as well crew interviews. Some interesting chat about the potential of the UK getting involved in the Viet Nam conflict etc. Any, thought some of the old sea dogs might appreciate the share:

Last of the Gun Boats

Not much coverage of the helicopters.... Ironically the need to operate large number of helicopters for an Anti Submarine Warfare role led to the idea for a large ship with a flush deck, which could then be adapted to take V/STOL aircraft, and the Harrier ground attack aircraft was navalised into the Sea Harrier, with a radar.....

Cameron does come across as a member of the 'managed decline' school of thought.

Not much coverage of the helicopters.... Ironically the need to operate large number of helicopters for an Anti Submarine Warfare role led to the idea for a large ship with a flush deck, which could then be adapted to take V/STOL aircraft, and the Harrier ground attack aircraft was navalised into the Sea Harrier, with a radar.....

Cameron does come across as a member of the 'managed decline' school of thought.
I thought he came across as a knob personally.