Last nights Spooks/Jean Charles de Menezes

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by FNUSNU, Sep 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone alse spot the obvious parallel in last nights Spooks and the De Menezes shooting? One of the characters, Adam, was told a terrorist was about to detonate a bomb and armed officers believed they had identified him, but weren't 100% sure and had a shot. It was up to him to make a split second decision wether they could open fire or not. He gave the order and the terrorist was killed. I though this was actually good TV as it showed the kind of situation that can arise and the presures those making the decisions can be put under. It was like the program makers were showing us the other side of the story and backing the Police officer who made the decision on thre day.

2. The officers in the case of the Brazilian took an executive decision because they were unable to contact their control.

In this case officers were waiting from a response from 'Adam' who was unable to see events and who, like the officers had never seen the suspect.

What I want to know is why this terror cell used an infra-red device rather than the usual mobile phone or timer system.

As for Ros - what a munter!
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Spooks has run quite a few story lines like this, parallel to current events, but not directly about them.

In a recent rerun Adam is seen in his car, collapsed, after a 2 episode hunt for terrorist bombers, who have massed casualties as their aim.

The terrorist group in question is a US run extreme Green party who wish to cull the numbers of humans on the planet, but the references to A_Q style bombing are obvious.

As he is sitting in his car R4 is playing in the background, with an MP on the Today program demanding to know why MI5 did not prevent the bomb going off, killing 20 odd people. This was one of four bombs, the others being unknown to the public.

IIRC these two episodes were released not long after the London bombings. So I think that you can safely assume that the producers are showing tacit support for the Security Service. They are nowhere near as nice to the Intelligence Service however, so maybe there is an onboard advisor??
  4. They use shots of the Grand Lodge building, making it out to be Thames House. I bet there's viewers out there who think MI5 were founded in 1717 as the year displays above the main door!!.
  5. Yes it is - I wonder how they have missed the character 'Harry' putting his apron on.........................
  6. Gremlin

Very true, as I believe that Thames House were unwilling to be used as the actual venue for some strange reason????
  7. It's not like Thames House is in a secret location. Millbank is quite a busy streatch of main Road. Ive often walked past it and counted all the little pan & tilt cameras they have on the exterior!.
  8. Gremlin

9. Ohhh, and the GCHQ building in ****** Street SW1 !! :D
  10. If you are in London and like spooks, all I'll say is SP6 Tac Signs. 8)

Had to pipe up somewhere, just look at the avatar :)
  11. In the words of the Virgin Mary, come again?
  12. Is that a wah?
  13. Gremlin

14. Who?, me! I tend to watch it now and then, please elabarate
  15. And I thought Thermobaric weapons operated best in confined spaces, not open streets where the effect will disipate quickly minimising the effect to normal explosive - so the casualty modelling was bunk. And if they meant fuel/air explosives then they need the airburst to mix it properly so it won't work in a van.

Hermione? Heels and a whip. I'm getting a thickening just thinking about it. She would throw you all over the platz..................