Last minute nerves.....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by woozieuk1, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am off to start Phase 1 tomorrow and as I am sure you all can understand I am nervous!

just has questions like; "Am i fit enough?", "Will there be anyone there I get on with?", "Whats the first few hours like?", "What if I have made a huge mistake etc etc"

I know that these are just nerves and they will go but it doesnt make me feel any better lol!

Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. You'll be fine; just remember everybody else will have the same fears as you!
  3. Good luck mate
    you do fine its only natural to worry
  4. Just a few tips:

You have 2 eyes, 2 ears and 1 mouth - use them in proportion.

Put in 100% effort and you can't be criticised.

The initial few days/weeks will be a shock to the system. This is all part of training you to become a soldier, don't give in at the first hurdle.

Don't forget, everyone in your platoon/troop is in the same boat.

You are bound to make some great mates and equally there are bound to be a couple of throbbers in the platoon, the trick is to establish who's who in the first few days.
  5. Don't worry about getting on with people; if you don't **** up, get everyone beasted etc. you'll be accepted and get along with everyone, regardless of whether you have anything in common with them or your background.

And remember:

Got all of that :D ?

Good luck!
  6. Hey mate good luck!

Honestly once you get to the ATR and spend a couple of hours in there you will already feel settled in and relaxed and already be accepting it as your home, if nobody is nervous about starting basic then there would be something wrong with them.

Give it your best and remember your goal, whenever you get the option to DAOR (you will be breifed what this is) try to push the temptation in the back of your mind and crack on til the end.
  7. I think there must be something wrong with me then because I find being in a very disciplined environment actually calms my nerves. I find a lack of structure, order and purpose increases my anxiety, maybe I've got a mild form of Aspergers syndrome. I don't know, all I know is that I can't wait to start phase 1! :D
  8. That was simply retarded.
  9. W1 everybody else on your intake is probably feeling the same this evening. You will be grand. Guarantee that by this time tommorow you will amongst everybody else feeling the same. Look after each other as a team & listen to your instructors. I felt the same 22 years ago !

Keep in touch & let us know how you get on. As an Arrser we have high hopes for you getting the best recruit !

Good luck Son & all the very best to you & all your mates starting their Basic tommorow.
  10. Im starting Pirbright tomorrow! The feeling of wanting to shit out a breeze block is slowly subsiding.
  11. Cheers fellas, lots of deep breaths i think ha ha.

Anyone just passed out of Phase 1? Any worried you can lay to rest?
  12. i have not passed selection yet but my step dad was a 22 year parachute reg solider and all he has to say on the matter is...if you have passed selection they think your fit enough. as long as you have put some effort in since selection then you should be laughing. use the phase 1 as a kind of a start of a new life your starting of as a baby again and are having to learn how to live. all the best mate.
  13. I hope they don't make you wear a nappy and sh1t in it. Breastfeeding from a male Corporal would be a bit of a nightmare too.

Seriously though, good points. I'm sure you'll be fine mate, after passing selection I imagine it's more about keeping the effort up.
  14. Al the best. Oh, and if all your mates end up hating you, do not refuse to shower just to "show them all". Every recruit course has a stinker. I've taught my share of recruit courses. the Regimental Bath is not a pretty thing.I'm sure ou'll do fine
  15. Guys WoozieUK1 & Geordie_G send each other a PM. Swop real email addresses & mobiles and have a quick chat now guys. Your both at Pirbright tommorow. Say a quick hello tonight & talk things through.

Thats what the Army Family & Arrse is about. We look after each other & mates.

Good luck fellas