Last minute cancellations!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Tartan_Terrier, Nov 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After almost an hours drive to the ranges last night, we were met with a nice little note stating ' Shooting cancelled'. As always, range time was booked well in advance, and confirmed with the rangemaster last week. I am shall we say 'a bit' annoyed about this.

Now as an NCO, I always try to focus on the positive when talking to the guys about even the worst exercises, but it's going to be difficult this time! This type of thing really hits retention hard.

Have any of you had similar experiences?
  2. How about a group of SNCO's turning up at a 2 week staffy's course only to have it cancelled on the morning they arrived.
  3. Oooh nasty! What was the problem, numbers?
  4. After reading a topic about course cancelations I had a momentary flash of inspiration.

If course numbers are coming back with low returns ie: 13 senior ranks turning up for a staffy's course and 28 junior ranks turning up for a JCLM, why not combine the 2 courses thus killing 2 birds with one stone?

I believe both courses expect to hold 40 personnel.

2 JCLM courses run each year from Blandford.
    2 staffy's courses ran from Blandford.

Why not run 3 combined courses and you get the numbers up and no poor attendance?

Comments and views please.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Yep numbers. I see the DS's point you simply cant run a staffy's course with 13 bodies, so I point you to the topic "joint courses" for your views.
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Course cancellations are sadly common, and very annoying. I lost an excellent Sergeant last year, after she twice turned up to a course required for her promotion, and twice found it cancelled. She got peesed off, and left. I couldn't talk her out of it, sadly. The courses weren't my Cap Badge, but at a certain Really Large place beginning with 'Gr'.
  7. We've lost quite a few good people due to cancellations as well. Nine times out of ten, it's down to low numbers.
  8. But WHY do LOW NUMBERS cause a problem? If the DS are committed to running that training course, why does it matter if there are less than they wanted? Why not make sure the few who do turn up are the best administered students ever? Or do the DS see it as an excuse to get a lazy admin w/e or fortnight?

And if the numbers are required for critical mass - say to train for Sect, Pl or Coy attacks - why not make sure the few who turn up get the command appointments and get the infil as real Jocks for them to practise with?

Why do we continually kick the few who turn up for the many who don't? Why are we surprised that we are now in vicious circle land when we could so easily be in virtuous circle?

edit for typo
  9. Not that again :twisted:

Seriously, do you know if any of the attendees have managed to get promoted (without the course)? (Coz some units are severly lacking on the Staffie front)
  10. msr

msr LE

It really must be as easy to plan a course for a low numbers option as it is to plan an even event with a fly/no fly or dry/wet programme.

The problem is that some people seem not to realise we are often giving up half our annual leave to go on these courses. And then they wonder why people sack it.

11. Totally with you on that abacus. That's why I suggested a joint course. Combine the requirements of a seniors course with the requirements of the juniors course and kill 2 birds with one stone. You would effectively have a dozen staffy's with a possible plt strength of juniors to command/give orders/run plt attacks.
    Your section commanders at the lower level then take their section through the requirements that are expected of them on the same course.
  12. Surely the solution is to run 1 SSgt course and keep the two Cpls courses. Many courses @ Blandford are consistently running with poor numbers e.g. AS Radio Relay, AS Switch/Bitch, RS Ptarmigan, roughly around 3-4 per course.

Maybe the solution is to run these courses every other year and give a guaruntee they will run.......

Alternatively allow Cpls/Sgts to attend the equivalent course @ Warminster its much harder, more technical and more fun (ok you'll drink less)
  13. msr

msr LE

Are we not trying to solve the symptoms here rather than the cause: now is the time to admit that Ptarmigan is simply too heavy a burden for the TA to maintain and train on and give the 12Gp Signal Regiments a new role?

14. Ptarmigan is not a burden, I myself enjoy putting in an extra two days in the week to do maint

15. Joint courses r runin the infantry if u go to do the platoon tactics course in breacon u r mixed all in officers as bods sgt as bods commanded by L/cpls and or in any combination the course is allways high in numbers so why cant other courses do the same