Last item of World War Two equipment in service with British Forces

If the RMP ever wanted to crack down on the theft of government property , they could do worse that start a thread like this one .
The amount of replies that start with " I've still got " ….....

Last edited:
If the RMP ever wanted to crack down on the theft of government property , they could do worse that start a thread like this one .
The amount of replies that start with " I've still got " ….....
I bet I'm the only one with a 36 mills!

The third pattern knives were first issued during WWII.

Third Pattern F-S Commando Knife
But do they match the thread criteria?

Was the '80s Nowill knife made forty years after WW2 a WW2 item, and more importantly is it still issued ?
Even as far back as the Falklands war the MOD had virtually no stocks of third pattern knives and had to have a rush order for and extra 250 to be made.

For me, something like a modern third pattern that can be bought as a private purchase isn't the same as a WW2 mess tin, millvank bag or other item that was made during WW2 and is still held as an issue item in stores.

I'm guessing this implement, perhaps the most important piece of kit ever devised, has a long distinguished career.

Where would the Army be without it. *

LAND-2012-115-Pace%20Stick%20Comp%20011%20DNI.jpg

* Doing something much more interesting, like learning to play the piano.

Last edited:
I'm sure my LMG in the late 80's had 1944 crossed out on the side. Horrible big thing, had to lug it around on exercise, but never ever got a chance to fire it.
It was a thing of beauty and an absolute joy to fire.

I'm guessing this implement, perhaps the most important piece of kit ever devised, has a long distinguished career.

Where would the Army be without it. *

View attachment 388120

* Doing something much more interesting, like learning to pay the piano.
Good pic, pace stick, ammo boots and sash all in one pic :)

But do they match the thread criteria?

Was the '80s Nowill knife made forty years after WW2 a WW2 item, and more importantly is it still issued ?
Even as far back as the Falklands war the MOD had virtually no stocks of third pattern knives and had to have a rush order for and extra 250 to be made.

For me, something like a modern third pattern that can be bought as a private purchase isn't the same as a WW2 mess tin, millvank bag or other item that was made during WW2 and is still held as an issue item in stores.
In the op it said

Mark 8 torpedo: Developed before WW2, this was still in Royal Navy service into the eighties, and was used in 1982 to sink the Argentine cruiser ARA General Belgrano.

Are you suggesting it was made in ww2 and not fired until 1982

In the op it said

Mark 8 torpedo: Developed before WW2, this was still in Royal Navy service into the eighties, and was used in 1982 to sink the Argentine cruiser ARA General Belgrano.

Are you suggesting it was made in ww2 and not fired until 1982
Nope, but the thread was about things still issued/held as far as I saw.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14