Last item of World War Two equipment in service with British Forces

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was instructed to provide two horses for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo for two soldiers from a former mounted, but now armoured, regiment to ride.
Both soldiers duly materialised neither had seen a horse in their life so were rapidly trained not to fall off!
The performance involved musket fire close to and over the horses. Much scratching of heads but it had been done before so could be done again.
I ordered the Sgt to train the horses for gunfire!
More scratching of head and sucking of teeth.
The grey needed considerable training to approach a carbine firing blanks but judicious application of large quantities of cotton wool in each lug did the trick.
The Clydesdale was totally unfazed and gunfire was no problem.
The performances were a success. The squaddies didn't fall off. We got free tickets and a nice jolly.
Job was a good one.
I used to a book which had pictures of the training of draft horses for working around foundries.
Fairly safe to say that the methods used would probably not be sanctioned today!

I used to a book which had pictures of the training of draft horses for working around foundries.
Fairly safe to say that the methods used would probably not be sanctioned today!
My limited equine experience would tend to support the wit and wisdom of a dog section sergeant
“ anything a farmer has had anything to do with the breeding of will come out of its stable or kennel, do it’s job with no drama and go back in at the end of the day with no fuss.

If it didn’t he wouldn’t breed from it or he shot it. The madness and daftness in those bloodlines was well stamped out and gave you reliable and steady breeds ie Clydesdales, shire horses, collies etc.

If the gymkhnana club or design breeder set get their hands on the strain you are fucked. Highly strung pretty looking things that may run fast (thoroughbred race horses) but you wouldn’t want to keep or work one.”

I found Clydesdales and draughtsman horses to be easy to train, biddable and steady as you like. But the horse strains coming in from hunter strains or part thoroughbred were usually bonkers and wanted to get excitable in a crowd which was a problem.

The historic horse bits and saddles we inherited were brutal and should never have been near an animal. But no doubt they could control them in most circumstances, no matter how ethical or inhumane.

Better take a steady but unshowy breed that isn’t particularly fast but is calm. Makes for far less drama and excitement.

It's what engineers do, though.

They're mostly harmless (whilst sober and on their meds. Bless.).
Bolt guns work very well, from practical experience, but when in doubt, .22 LR will do a fine job whereas a .455 Webley will not. Most people do not know where to place the muzzle and so do the injured animal even more stress.

We had some old WW2 stuff during the late 80`s including Airborne Folding Stretchers which had 1944 stamped on them,.... but they have probably been replaced now as they were falling to bits.
1562002442558.png

We had some old WW2 stuff during the late 80`s including Airborne Folding Stretchers which had 1944 stamped on them,.... but they have probably been replaced now as they were falling to bits. View attachment 401707
I do recall a Br Army medic attached to Zambia's finest 6th Zambia Rifles in 1966, describing how penurious the Home Government was, when he served in pre-Gadaffi Libya the Brit MIlitary Hospital still used Captured Wehrmacht beds from WWII service -- after ll the Public Purse saved a few bob.

If it’s a Wilkinson Sword knife it would be worth mega bucks, if It’s a J. Nowill knife like the one pictured above it’s worth about £40 in good condition.
I have my grandfather's. I think it is a 2nd pattern without wilkinson sword stamping with the original leather sheath. How much do they go for? May need to get it insured?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14