Last item of World War Two equipment in service with British Forces

Don't think the SMG is still in-service, but didn't the Engineers have something similar that was modified to put bolt fastenings into concrete to attached dems ladders etc to. I couldn't find anything on google, by I am sure there is a Ex-Sapper on here who can confirm or deny the existence of such a beast !!!
Sterling Bolt Gun, from memory, though I never used one so I can't comment as to any commonality with the SMG.

ugly

LE
Don't think the SMG is still in-service, but didn't the Engineers have something similar that was modified to put bolt fastenings into concrete to attached dems ladders etc to. I couldn't find anything on google, by I am sure there is a Ex-Sapper on here who can confirm or deny the existence of such a beast !!!
Sterling bolt gun!

ugly

LE
It was in the REPB. It was also in the Dems manuals but never available for use from my recollection. It was only a standard nail gun! 1950's standard cheap and nasty by modern standards.

Not sure if the SMG is still in service but it would have a fair claim. It originally came in in 1942 as a replacement for the Lanchester that was based on the WWI German MP18 Bergmen. It was called the Patchett SMG. Only produced in small numbers about 200 I believe as found to be expensive to produce relative to the much cheaper and far nastier Sten.

At the end of WWII cheapness and nastiness were not an option and the Patchett revisited in the late 40's. It was adopted as all 3 services SMG with the name Patchett being dropped so the SMG has been in service to all intents and purposes since 1942.
The SMG is still in use in various places around the world but was taken out of British service shortly after the First Gulf War. (1994 I think?)

ugly

LE
I doubt they are much in service now but two Douglas Dakotas just flew over my house headed inland!
I also remembered seeing a handful of PBY Catalinas on the hardstanding at Gander in 1986!
Edited to add; I did look out the front to see if any meat bombs were being dropped!

I doubt they are much in service now but two Douglas Dakotas just flew over my house headed inland!
I also remembered seeing a handful of PBY Catalinas on the hardstanding at Gander in 1986!
Edited to add; I did look out the front to see if any meat bombs were being dropped!
The DC3/C47s will be for the DDay 75 anniversary. There's quite a few coming over from the States.

ugly

LE
The DC3/C47s will be for the DDay 75 anniversary. There's quite a few coming over from the States.
Apparently more are to be expected on Wednesday afternoon over here, its part of the duxford triangle route allegedly. Nothing at all to do with the combined age of arrsse being less than the youngest resident of this ville!

It was in the REPB. It was also in the Dems manuals but never available for use from my recollection. It was only a standard nail gun! 1950's standard cheap and nasty by modern standards.
We practiced with them a bit in Berlin. A bit more oomph than a nail gun as it fired a screwed bolt that you could then screw on PE4 slab charges with those meccano strips and wheel nuts.

They replaced the earlier Armstrong bolt gun IIRC.

It was more that they were made by Sterling than being converted SMG, though they did fire something similar to a blank 9mm round IIRC

The SMG is still in use in various places around the world but was taken out of British service shortly after the First Gulf War. (1994 I think?)
We handed in our Small Metal Guns around 1993 I think.

ETA: it was at the same time we lost our section Large Metal Guns too, which was very sad

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is the original Small (and Heavy) Metal Gun.

Lanchester 3.JPG

Sadly de-activated and thus no longer in use.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apparently more are to be expected on Wednesday afternoon over here, its part of the duxford triangle route allegedly. Nothing at all to do with the combined age of arrsse being less than the youngest resident of this ville!
I believe its the biggest collection of Dakotas since WW2
Just checked the route the flyover takes - Duxford (13.40) - Colchester (1421) - Southend on Sea (14.29) - Maidstone (14.37) - Eastbourne (14.50) before heading over to France Le Havre (15.20) - Sannerville DZ (16.30) - arriving at Caen-Capriquet airport from 16.45.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14