And this:-
1555310723606.png

And this, the world famous "only one sausage, ****" implement:-
1555310784637.png

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A few dental instruments have been around a far while, especially some of those held in stock.

At least one field kit opened on op Granby had last seen the light of day when packed in 1944, but there are individual items still kicking around that have been in use for many many years.

They showed me a Bofors mounting pointing out to their offshore danger area.
Bofors ammunition was simply fired off, with barrels being changed whenever one wore out...
And it was a totally sh1t disposal method. The range was covered in partially exploded 40mm HE. The method employed the function as intended method using the Tracer Igniter Self Destruct function. The net result was the projectile partially functioned leaving projectile parts filled with HE and and in some cases fitted with fuzes in an unknown (i.e. very dangerous) configuration.

In 2000 or 2001 i found a 1940s field dressing in Berengaria camp med centre.

The style of helmet we wore until the lightweight new ones was initially brought out in 1944 for the Canadians IIRC.
Still in use in the 80's.

And it was a totally sh1t disposal method. The range was covered in partially exploded 40mm HE. The method employed the function as intended method using the Tracer Igniter Self Destruct function. The net result was the projectile partially functioned leaving projectile parts filled with HE and and in some cases fitted with fuzes in an unknown (i.e. very dangerous) configuration.
If it was 'offshore' why would that have mattered?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Why? We still had the GPMG.
Indeed......but knowing my former employers I expect there were still shedfulls of .38 (Webley) and .303 to be disposed of. And as any storeman will tell you, bangy stuff degrades over the years

When I was at Boscombe there was a local newspaper report of some industrious local who dug up some glass ampoules in his back garden in West Gomeldon. Police came and had a look, backed away rapidly. Mustard gas from 1917...it's just along the road from Porton Down.

Taking sweaty bangy things offshore and throwing it in the water became illegal in the mid 1990s - so the DRA came up with this cunning wheeze to make money . At one point they were selling 'over-capacity' to anyone who had stuff they needed rid of in a controlled manner. Still do.

Can't recall whether the BARV was a Centurion chassis - is it still in service?
There was a Centurion BARV on Op Corporate. I saw it abandoned in 6' of water on the landing beach. I believe it was recovered and is now in the museum at Bovvy.

BTW on the subject of WW2 kit in service. When I did my basic training in 1976 the 2" mortar we used was date stamped 1943...the same year my dad joined the Royal Navy at 18.

The Bayonet

Still the same as when first issued
Fit on end of rifle and stick it in Johnny Foreigner as required
I have pre-WW1 SMLE bayonet.

The scabbard would fit in the bayonet frog on the 58 pattern webbing and the bayonet attached you the SLR in the same way as the SLR bayonet. I took it on exercise once and got some entertaining double takes from those who spotted it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14