Last item of World War Two equipment in service with British Forces

The one that went with 58 pattern webbing was shovel GS. Don't remember anyone calling it an 'entrenching tool'. Digging tool is about as close,but that also applied to picks ISTR.
I think the tool that fitted on the sides of vehicles was the GS shovel. A bit bigger than the one that fitted on the '58 pattern webbing, and without that hole in the handle. But age could be dimming my memory...

I think the tool that fitted on the sides of vehicles was the GS shovel. A bit bigger than the one that fitted on the '58 pattern webbing, and without that hole in the handle. But age could be dimming my memory...
The shovels were one and the same IIRC.

The shovels were one and the same IIRC.
The infantry shovel has a shorter handle and a wee hole for the pin on your yoke. The shovel on most vehicles has a much longer handle.

[Pedant mode off]

Could well be. I won't die in a ditch over it...or a trench! :)
Me neither. Funny what the brain retains over the years...

Just wish I could remember what I had for breakfast or what I did a couple of days ago...

o_O

The infantry shovel has a shorter handle and a wee hole for the pin on your yoke. The shovel on most vehicles has a much longer handle.

[Pedant mode off]
[Pedant Mode On]
How can you turn Pedant mode Off when you didn't turn it On?*
[Pedant Mode Off]

* Unless you are permanently On, in which case as you've now turned it Off you will have to turn it On again... ;-)

Cue Genesis....

It was a motor-cycle helmet popular and on sale in England at the time. In military use it came in Green only as a basic helmet which you wore with goggles on bikes and open topped land rovers etc. It also came with a fitting for a visor for riot use - utterly useless for top cover sentry as you could not take aim!

I still have one in green in an old box I think ;)
I wish they'd issued those to us in CVRT instead of those bloody bonedomes. Small inbuilt boom mics and earphones were available in the late 70s and 80s.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wish they'd issued those to us in CVRT instead of those bloody bonedomes. Small inbuilt boom mics and earphones were available in the late 70s and 80s.
The HIB was cheap as chips and would fit easily under a helmet (designed to).

I think it was mentioned way up the thread, but I also recall WW2 dated wire-cutters still being in the stores during the late nineties. Around the same time I went on a FIBUA course where the DS said there were temporarily no grappling-irons available, as on a recent course one had opened out in use, leading to an injured student. At that time the grappling irons being used (inc. the failed one) had WW1 dates! EDIT: I had a recollection. We were allowed to use the ancient grappling-irons for lobbing up to walls and windows, but we then had to climb a ladder instead of the rope. The grappling-irons in the FIBUA village were supposedly the very last and new ones had to be made before we could use them 'properly'.

The dates on the penknives were also 'long ago', though I don't recall what -- everyone used swiss-army knives instead.

Last edited:
Still in service, based on Leopard hull & running gear IIRC
?

Edited to add:

My God you’re right - a sneaky way of getting German tanks into British service.

Dutch bastards....

Thanks - and show respirator haversack and bum roll for completeness. Don’t get me started on picks, bino cases, compass cases, butt rests etc etc

The orientation of the belt is incorrect in relation to the pouches, large pack, etc. The small metal loops should be at the bottom edge in order to attach the bum roll. Pay more attention to the locker layout next time and . . . GET AWAYYYYYYY!!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14