Last item of World War Two equipment in service with British Forces

Wriggly tin is that still about
I seem to remember Nissan Huts in STANTA during the 80's being used for filming POW scenes in Allo Allo.

ugly

LE
The problem was that these accessories never got to the guys in the front line as they were regarded as perks of the job for light-fingered dockers in Liverpool when they arrived.

I have no idea how true that is, but it has kind of a ring of truth about it.
The first Shermans were shipped complete to US CES to North Afrika included everything and I mean everything, small arms, helmets, even books, magazines and other gifts from the factory. They were stripped comprehensively by the stackers in the docks who between them and the Workers On Govt Service made sure the basic tank only was received in the front lines!

I think Buckingham still have Nissan hutts. And sennybridge but they don't seen to be used.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wriggly tin is that still about
I seem to remember Nissan Huts in STANTA during the 80's being used for filming POW scenes in Allo Allo.
The RAPC Computer Centre at Worthy Down. They finished a bespoke building about 1988. Most of the centre moved out of Nissen huts.

I think the soyer stove went in the middle 80s . unless you know different .
I think Soyer stoves were still part of the Civil Defence plan for mass-feeding in the aftermath of nuclear war. So would have likely still be in stores through the 90s also

As I remember it, Colt were pushing really hard when the MOD were looking for a replacement to the SLR, the Guards were keen on the AR15 due to the drill cross over, and of course the Septics due to ammunition, also considered was the immediate availablity. But the MOD, were leant on by the Government of the day, who wanted a British Co building the thing. Hence the SA80, about 50 years out of date (Royal Enfield later BAE, had a prototype which was lying around since just after WW2) and as much use as a chocolate fireguard and intensely loathed by the Guards (Shame).
Think about it the take up of Colts offer (made under licence) would have seen a quality piece of kit (one of the features it had was the working parts remained at the rear once out of ammunition, no more counting if any body did) and subsequent updates would have seen quality such as the AR18 now in the hands of the best Army in the world bar none. Typical MOD cock-up this time in cohoots with the Government.
Absolute, unadulterated testicles.

Of course the other pertinent question is, how many toms died directly due to the mess that was the sa80.
None that I'm aware of during my service (85 - 17).

Since the thread has wandered a bit beyond just British issued gear, for the USMC, other than the obvious weapons (the M2 .50 cal and the 1911 .45), there were the 1941 Pack System and the tasty "C" ration.

http://www.military-historians.org/publications/journal/samples/BradfordPack.pdf
Just as long you don't include the atrocious Hershey bar. I have never in my life tasted anything so disgusting!!!!!! I felt sorry for all those kids you see in War movies..... I'm surprised it didn't put kids off Chocolate for life!!!!

Just as long you don't include the atrocious Hershey bar. I have never in my life tasted anything so disgusting!!!!!! I felt sorry for all those kids you see in War movies..... I'm surprised it didn't put kids off Chocolate for life!!!!
Hah! I think that and most military rations are designed with the expectation that the end user is well and truly hungry.

I think Buckingham still have Nissan hutts. And sennybridge but they don't seen to be used.
Is Wretham stll tin huts with pot bellied stoves?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Indeed......but knowing my former employers I expect there were still shedfulls of .38 (Webley) and .303 to be disposed of. And as any storeman will tell you, bangy stuff degrades over the years

When I was at Boscombe there was a local newspaper report of some industrious local who dug up some glass ampoules in his back garden in West Gomeldon. Police came and had a look, backed away rapidly. Mustard gas from 1917...it's just along the road from Porton Down.

Taking sweaty bangy things offshore and throwing it in the water became illegal in the mid 1990s - so the DRA came up with this cunning wheeze to make money . At one point they were selling 'over-capacity' to anyone who had stuff they needed rid of in a controlled manner. Still do.
That's the sort of thing they should do like one of those special day experiences. £59.99 for a days weapon firing and a live military experience of picking up brass for four hours afterwards.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What's that camp on Salisbury area? Used to be a PoW camp. Lots of long dorms with an HQ hut at the top and the whole thing fenced in?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Small arms brass is collected after the ammunition has 'cooked off# in the kiln - once it is cool.

Dunno what they do with 40/60 brass but it's quite big so I expect they have a skip-full which gets emptied when it gets to a certain weight.

What's that camp on Salisbury area? Used to be a PoW camp. Lots of long dorms with an HQ hut at the top and the whole thing fenced in?
Rollestone Camp ? Briefly used to accommodate illegal immigrants for a while.

That's the sort of thing they should do like one of those special day experiences. £59.99 for a days weapon firing and a live military experience of picking up brass for four hours afterwards.
We used to get them free in NI - they were known as WIS Range Days!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14