Last item of World War Two equipment in service with British Forces

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
As a completely irrelevant aside, the SA80 was coming in as I left and I got some mileage out of being one of the very few who could do SLR style drill with the new weapon. Everyone else ended up hunchbacking like Quasimodo when they tried.
When we did the Freedom of Plymouth in 1987, Numbers One and Two Guards (1 D and D) had the SA80 and Numbers Three and Four Guards (4 D and D (V)) carried the SLR. The drill looked a bit disjointed!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On the landnav and course we used some sighting kit that looked pretty vintage.

Had the man and name of it but couldn't get the qms to order it.

Can't for the live of me remember what it was called.

Everything I've read tells me US tanks were provided with everything.
I recall reading somewhere that US-built tanks that were provided for Britain during WWII were kitted out to the last degree, everything a crew would need, binoculars, torches, fire extinguishers, camp beds, digging tools, stoves etc.

The problem was that these accessories never got to the guys in the front line as they were regarded as perks of the job for light-fingered dockers in Liverpool when they arrived.

I have no idea how true that is, but it has kind of a ring of truth about it.

I recall reading somewhere that US-built tanks that were provided for Britain during WWII were kitted out to the last degree, everything a crew would need, binoculars, torches, fire extinguishers, camp beds, digging tools, stoves etc.

The problem was that these accessories never got to the guys in the front line as they were regarded as perks of the job for light-fingered dockers in Liverpool when they arrived.

I have no idea how true that is, but it has kind of a ring of truth about it.
In one of the memoirs I read - maybe Montsarrat? - there was story of liverpool dockworkers pilfering the emergency lockers on lifeboats, nicking all the tinned scran an chocolate etc
Matelots took exception, and issued several savage beatings

In one of the memoirs I read - maybe Montsarrat? - there was story of liverpool dockworkers pilfering the emergency lockers on lifeboats, nicking all the tinned scran an chocolate etc
Matelots took exception, and issued several savage beatings
the kicker is. The Scousers probably would have had a good grieve about anyone that died due to their pilfering.

Don't suppose it really matters, but the point being, an awful lot of kit was disappearing before it got to the front line. Rear echelon certainly lined their nests.
Absolutely.
The irritating cockney ****** Danny Baker, whose family were all dockers, described 'diverting' certain amounts of cargo as 'bunce' and it was accepted practice.
On the subject of pilfering from lifeboats, though, that is another matter.

Must be just after D+D left Berlin...?
Not sure, but they were in Bulford as I remember travelling up in coaches to do rehearsals at Kiwi Bks.

And @AlienDTM, just looked at Cruel Sea and HM Corvette (ebooks), and it isn't there.
May have been in Three Corvettes or HM Frigate.
I've definitely read it, though.
Me too.

To add to the list: bitumen signs and pin stakes for route signing.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the soyer stove went in the middle 80s . unless you know different .

Don't the Guards still wear Ammo Boots for public duties (last pattern in service, 1927)?
Ammo boots, part of one of my favourite military memories.

The scene, wet weather Wings Parade in a hangar at Middle Wallop circa '77/78. Some bright spark has ordered the hangar floor to be scrubbed.
40 years of engine oil soaked concrete is now perspiring gently.

Parade forms up and begins the march past.
The left wheel is impossible to hold due to centrifugal force.
The left turn for the march past results in more fallers it's begining to look like the grand national.

The right turn at the end of the march past is misjudged with two file passing down one side of a flag carrying WRAC marker and one down the other. With a few judicious elbows the flag is waving around like a belly dancers arse.

Finally after more fun and games comes the advance in review order.
At the halt all those wearing ammo boots having less surface area to grip the oily surface slide well forward of the line with arms windmilling crazily in an attempt to keep upright.

The reviewing officer who clearly had a great sense of humour declared it to be the best parade he had ever attended.
The RSM's view was unrecorded!!!!

From a REME perspective after being forced into best kit for an Army Air Corps event, it made it all worth while. The very definition of schadenfreude.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Porridge_gun Remembrance - Auctions forum 23
drillpig69 Classified Ads 1
Porridge_gun Charity Auctions 14