Last German survivor of WWI passes away unnoticed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Private_Pike, Jan 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, they did lose.

2. Rest In Peace old soldier.

It doesn't really need saying that WWI wasn't WWII, and Imperial Germany a world away from Nazi Germany with its distinction of an overlay of 'national evil'. Lions were led by donkeys on each side and across the world a generation of lives were lost.

3. It was on teletext the other day that he was the second last and there was, obviously, one more survivor.

Jockster

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I see his wife only died in 2003 aged 102, they were married for 75 years.
    Another remakable achievement.

It may have been unrecorded in Germany but all the UK papers are covering it!

5. Be they German soldiers of the first or second war, they were soldiers for their country. They deserve that respect.
    RIP.

6. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

it has been in the papers here - but only mentioned briefly

it's still difficult in this country to deal with the past
    and i guess that's why paying the respect those men deserve
    will never take place - as it does in other countries eg

ruhe in frieden

7. Though Merkel couldn't bother her French kissing arse to pay some respect, there is quite a mention of it in the more prominent forms of the German Press. Saying that he still deserves more acknowledgement from his country.

Rest in Peace

8. one of my grandfathers fought at the Somme ... but Dr. Erich Kästner still deserves respect.
    RIP

9. I'm sure the vets of the Waffen SS will take great comfort from your 'respect' for what they did for Das Reich.

10. Both my Granddads served their country, on BOTH sides. You are right, Dr Kastner does deserve respect.

11. I think it's perfectly possible to respect a man for fighting for his country, politics or religious beliefs without having the slightest respect for any of those. Germans make good soldiers and in the First lot fought a mostly 'decent' war. I know my Uncle, who fought at the tail end of the First War, told of how it wasn't unusual for German PoWs in 1918 to get genuine respect and even affection from the troops who'd just captured them.

My gran told me a second hand tale of his about how a badly-battered Bn of his Brigade were sitting by the road when the captured remains of the German rearguard who'd just cut them up limped by. The response was to give them a round of applause!

12. Hear, hear - whether they were friend or foe they were the tool of the government of their day, they didn't choose to sit in a filthy, water logged trench infested with rats being gassed, bombarded and machine gunned day and night.

I hope he is welcomed into the halls of Valhalla by all those who went before. RIP Herr Doktor.