Last flight of the F-4 Phantoms in the Japanese Self Defense Force 302nd squadron

Now you could argue that the Double Mamba was a jet engine, albeit with contra-rotating propellors. I also concede that the Gannet was faster than me on a bike. But the Gannet as a fast jet?
LOL! DOH! Olde age does not come by itself and I'm talking about 1975, there were 2 squadrons of Navy F4s at Lossie. I think they were actually Ark Royals aircraft but age and drink have taken their toll....

I take it he was on 74 sqn then, if we’re talking American engines? That was that funny lot further round the perry track from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eh? I thought the late gentleman was with not Jeremy Corbyns favourite air force ? The IDF got early model F4s with the J79 without the later smoke free combustor ( iirc 74 Sqn had them )

Last edited:
Eh? I thought the gentleman was with not Jeremy Corbyns favourite air force ? The IDF got early model F4s had the J79 without the later smoke free combustor ( iirc 74 Sqn had them )
You mean that there were F-4s that didn't smoke?! :)

However, I think the MiG-29 has assumed the F-4's 'smokiest-jet' reputation!

Regards,
MM

@Magic_Mushroom

Ah, the term smokeless is, erm..., applied loosely. Less smoke rather than smoke less would be more accurate.
Summat to do with the materials technology of the hot end of the engine limiting what one could achieve in going for true smokeless , I am led to believe.
You're right about the Mig29. Theres no doubt as to where they are !

I was at Tangmere museum today (popped by visiting a company nearby).

In the carpark on display they have in left to right order:
Sea Vixen
Phantom
Harrier (Sea Harrier Dev model I think)
Harrier GR3
Meteor

What surprised was the shear size of the Phantom!! It dwarfs the the other aircraft. An absolute beast! Wish I got a pic now.

They also had a junglie Wessex (which I remember when they were stored for air mechs to work on at HMS Daedalus in the late 80s).
I was thinking about the size of the Phantom just now after looking at the OP video. I know the Sons of Nippon tend to be smaller but the a/c looked a monster.

It seemed massive to me so I had a quick Google. The F4 clocked in at 63’ in length as compared to 69’ for a Lancaster.

...You're right about the Mig29. Theres no doubt as to where they are !...
20 years ago, they were also leaving litter all over Bosnia and Serbia!! ;)

Regards,
MM

Last edited: