Last Australian WW2 VC winner dead

Discussion in 'Australia' started by browny31310, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last WWII VC recipient Edward Kenna dies12:34 AEST Thu Jul 9 200937 minutes agoVIEWS: 0| FLOCKS: 0| 0 comments so far
    Australia's last remaining World War II Victoria Cross recipient, Edward Kenna, has died, aged 90.

Jul 09, 2009
    Australia's last remaining World War II Victoria Cross recipient, Edward Kenna, has died in a Victorian nursing home, aged 90.

On May 15, 1945, the then Private Kenna was involved in an action near Wewak, New Guinea, during which he exposed himself to heavy fire, killing a Japanese machine gun crew and making it possible for his company's attack to succeed.

He was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry in May 1945.

Mr Kenna died in a Geelong nursing home last night, a niece living in Hamilton, in Victoria's south-west, where he was born, confirmed.

Mr Kenna was one of only three living Victoria Cross recipients.

He had watched on television from his Geelong nursing home earlier this year as Trooper Mark Donaldson became the first Australian awarded the VC in 40 years.

Mr Kenna's daughter, Marlene, told AAP at the time her father had said he admired Trooper Donaldson for looking out for his mates.

Mr Kenna was a private in the Australian Infantry Force (AIF) when he won the VC as World War II entered its final months.

Three weeks later he was shot in the mouth and spent more than a year in hospital before being discharged from the AIF in December 1946.

In 1947, he married Marjorie Rushberry, who had nursed him at Heidelberg Military Hospital in Melbourne.

The couple were married for 61 years and had only moved into a Geelong nursing home relatively recently after Mr Kenna suffered a heart attack.

Ms Day told AAP earlier this year her father was modest when he talked about his Victoria Cross.

"He's always said to me that he's proud to wear it, but he wears it for every soldier because he says everyone contributes to those sorts of things," she said.

"He's a very modest man, so he doesn't talk about it much.

"I know that he's proud of what he's achieved and we are too."

Vale Private KennaVC
  2. ABC news has just said that his family has accepted the offer of a State Funeral. Quite right too!

RIP Pte Kenna VC
  3. Makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!

What a hero,

4. General salute, Sir
  5. R.I.P. Mr Edward Kenna V.C. , My Sincere condolences to family and friends