Last Australian WW1 combat veteran died

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MikeMcc, Oct 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Like it says, the last of a generation who will never be forgotten.

RIP

2. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

Lest we forget.

3. I read, over the weekend, that 10 years ago there were 12,000 WW1 vets still alive in the UK. Today there are only 4. Earlier this year saw the death of the last German vet; no surprises then that the last Australian has gone.

This was the first war in which modern technology really allowed us to capture their experiences at the time and record their later memories - their efforts will never be forgotten.

May they all rest in peace.

4. RIP William Allen. As with your comrades, you made a difference to the world.

5. RIP William Allen. 106, a pretty resiliant bloke. Good onya mate.

Just an aside from that BBC article:

This woman is a complete and utter tool.

6. If i had my way the last British vet should be given a state funeral.

RIP 'digger'

7. i agree completely

Lest we forget.

8. RIP

while we're on the subject, does anyone know how many British WW2 vets are left?

9. My Father in Law for one, and I think the Pay Bloke in my old Corps

10. Article in the Mail on Sunday last weekend. Only four left.

11. RIP William Allen. Lest we forget.

There are more than four UK Great War veterans left alive. Rumours were abound recently that the last German WW1 vet (Charles Kuntz) had died, strangely enough a few more have now surfaced in Germany. Another rumour abound in the WW1 interest circle is that a TV company will be taking a Brit, French and German WW1 Vets to the Somme to toast each other for the last time. If this is to happen, it will be a sight to see.

FM

12. RIP - Gone but never forgotten.

13. R.I.P Sir

14. Abiding respect always for the "butchered and damned" generation - to a man, past or present.

RIP, shipmate