"Last 50" Replaced by "What's New"

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by smudge67er, Mar 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have fullscreen! Looks great! Superb....but lost the "last 50 posts" again :(
  2. I am always fond of getting a general gist of what's going on by checking out the last 50 posts. Where is it now? The tab is gone from the home page

Nice clean layout but now it looks a bit sparse.
  3. Looks good, but can we have the "last 50" posts button back again? Please...
  4. Looks ok just needs the Last 50 button back at the top and bottom of the page or a Whats new button at the bottom of the page.
  5. Please can we have a 'Last 50' button linky thingy back? Preety please!

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

"What's New" will give you an improved version of Last 50. Allow me to explain:

We took off 'What's New' before because our search (which is behind 'What's New') wasn't keeping up with the pace of things, and only updating every 5 minutes. We therefore wrote a stripped out, fast 'Last 50' that would be live, but not slow the site too much. In the process we lost a few things, notably thread preview when you hover the mouse over, and paged results.

We've upgraded the search mechanism which allows us to update every minute. Last 50 is therefore not useful any more, and we have the full function "What's New". Old links should redirect to that.
  7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Also does clever things like removing threads you've read and allows you to go back to more than last 50!
  8. The 'what's new' even tells you when it was last updated (has a time thing in the right hand corner), which is kind of cool but is going to drive me nuts at the same time.

9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

What's new is the old 'Last 50' only with lots of whistles & bells. Right hand side is coming!
  10. why have you taken out the "Last 50" tab option???

Its the only way I navigate this site and one of the reasons why I don't like the Arrse app for iphone.
  11. Just posted in the other thread for this but why get rid of the "Last 50" tab?

I know the "whats new" tab is vaguely similar but it doesn't update as quickly as the other one and only displays 20 at a time, with no option to expand that to 50 or 100 threads....
  12. As already mentioned, Why get rid of the last 50 tab?
  13. Security Geek, the CO's have already mentioned a few times that the last 50 tab has been replaced by "Whats New" etc. Its meant to be a bigger, better 'Last 50'.
  14. don't mind the change.

I'd only just got used to the last layout, so I get to keep on my toes.

Can we have the last 50 tab back? And reply with quote is taking a while.
  15. I personally don't really like to be kept on my toes. I like to finish work, make a brew, click the ARRSE tab at the top of my browser, and pick up where I left off the day before. The last major changes to the site felt a step too far at first - I couldn't (and still can't) add images or most smilies, the layout to all the various forums and links seemed alien, and I found it comparatively difficult to find threads I'd contributed to. As a result I found myself visiting the site less often. I've been on a bit more recently, but it's been a very slow process getting used to it.