Last 100 days of WW1 tour Accommodation 24 -27 Sept

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Time to start the booking methinks!!

Arrangements are roughly the same as the last tour. We have accommodation at Snowden House in Loungeval:
    Snowden House website
    Accommodation is mainly dormitory and unsuitable for pre-teens.
    Cost is £65 per person & includes the accommodation & a tour polo.
    If anyone wishes a 2nd polo it is an additional £15.
    Local costs are collected in Euros once there.
    Those wishing to attend PM me & I'll send payment details, as before I'll add your name to the list once payment is received.
    Flying Monkey will post the full itinerary for the Saturday & Sunday shortly.

Attending

Flying Monkey
    Old Baldy
    Mrs Baldy
    Firework Phil
    Steve
    Howard

2. Hi All,

Here is a rough itinierary to give you an idea of what we are going to be doing. The tour is going to focuss on the last 100 days of the war, otherwise known as the Advance to Victory.
    Unlike previous ARRSE tours this one is all vehicle based rather than a walking tour (more walking tours next year).

The Saturday of the tour sees us staying in the Somme Region and foccussing on events of the 8th August and the days just after where an allied offensive drove into the German lines, routing them from their positions. The day will start with an overview of the battlefield at Beacon Cemetery on the Morlancourt Ridge. We will then descend off the risge into the villiage of Chippily and see the 58th London Div memorial, a soldier kissing his mortally wounded horse goodbye. From here we will go into Villers Brettoneux to adelaide cemetery and see where the Aussies exhumed one of their unknowns in 1993 to be taken back to Australia. We will also look here at the recapturing of VB by the Aussies in a brilliant night attack in late April 1918. We will then move up to the VB memorial, that commemorates Australias missing in France and the cemetery co - located with it. The memorial and cemetery bear the scars of the Second World War. We will then move on to Le Hamel Australian Memorial park and look at the action fought here by Australia and the US on 4th July 1918. The afternoon sees us move to the south of the battlefield focussing on the Canadian Forces push into German territory. We will see the cemetery containing those who fell for the Battle of Hangard Woods, Demuin cemetery then on to the Canadian memorial at Le Quesnel. We will then pop into Warvillers Villiage churchyard where one of canadas top WW1 snipers, Ducky Norwest, lies burried. He had 115 confirmed kills.
    We will finish the days touring by visiting the German cemetery at Caix with its British counterpart nearby.

The Sunday of the tour will start by looking at the story of British Soldiers who hid behind the lines following the German advance in 1914. Befriended by French Villagers they lived in a small village, under German occupation, clothed and fed by the French. One of the soldiers fell in love with the prettiest girl in the village and went on to have a daughter with her. In 1916 the solders were betrayed by a local and shot by the Germans. Their story is immortalised in a book called "In Foreign Fields" by Ben Macintyre and is well worth the read. We will move down to the American cemetery in the region and look at their attempt in breaking the Hindenburg Line on 29th September 1918 when two US divisions were under the watchful eye of the Australians. The Hindenburg line was broken that day by the men of the 46th North Midland Division and we will stop at Riqueval bridge where they crossed the St Quentin Canal. One of the most iconic photos of WW1 was taken here of thousands of soldiers sat on the canal bank being addressed by their Brigade Commander Brig - Gen Campbell VC (The Tally Ho VC). We will then follow the line of the advance moving up to Joncourt looking at where Wilfred Owen won his MC. We will then move up to Mannquin Hill and look at Britains most decorated soldier in WW1 Private Bill Coltman, VC, DCM and Bar, MM and Bar, a stretcher bearer with the North Staffs. From here we will head up to Montbrehain and look at the last cohesive Aussie action of the war.
    We will then move on to Le Cateau and have lunch. After which we will visit the small villiage of Ors and look at the crossing of the Sambre Canal on 4th November 1918. It was in this action that Wilfred Owen was killed and he is buried nearby in the communal cemetery. His parents received the telegram informing them of their sons death on 11th November 1918. From Ors it will be a drive up to the Belgian City of Mons were we will look at the Fist and last shots of the BEF in WW1. We will see the first and last British soldiers KIA in WW1 buried opposite each other in St Symphorien Cemetery and also visit the grave of Pte George Lawrence Price the last Canadian soldier KIA by sniperfire at 1058 hrs, 11th November 1918.

Lunches on both days will be packed lunches, probably done by Allison and John who live on the Somme and have done dinner for us in the past

There are a lot of books published on the areas we will cover on this tour. Some favourites of mine are:

1918 Year of Victory By Malcolm Brown
    Amiens 1918 by macwilliams and Steel

Both of the above books focuss on the last 100 days.

Foreign Fields by Ben McIntyre is the book focussing on the 5 squaddies who remained behind German lines in 1914. I cannot reccommend this book enough for a really heartrendering story that also shows what it was like to live under German occupation in WW1.

FM

3. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

4. It looks like the big hermer and myself will be coming again,leave passes etc will be filled out imminently 8)
    We may even be joined by a friend of ours but as he is not a member of Arrse he deserves fining.
    As usual the big hermer has pulled rank and i'm squaring the admin away,OB i'll be in touch very soon :)

5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Will we have to get extra supplies of water in for the lightweight?

6. Fleffer

Fleffer RIP

I'm now an ARRSE! Fleffer (aka Phil2)

7. You can't say that about Bohsman, just capri suns for the little tike :) :)

8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Welcome Fleffer!!

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I notice your smileys are green to match your complexion. :D

10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

With the numbers who have told me cash is on the way plus 2 I know who have organised a lift but not contacted me we are up to 16. As those who have been there before know, that is the number of beds in Snowden. Now if there are others we know we can get a couple of camp beds from the owners but after that it would be a bit tight.
    I don't know if there is any vacancies at their other place at Chavasse Farm or if another place in Longueval, that holds 4, is vacant. A couple more who said earlier they were interested haven't shoved their head over the parapet yet to let me know one way or the other.
    Does anyone have any opinions about whether I should try to get extra accommodation or should we hold it to a maximum of 18. (16 + 2).

11. Reborn and revitalised and ready for action... Erm no monks beer yeh :cry: :cry:

12. OB,
    Payment sent :D

13. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Oops, I should have mentioned that here ? 8O

Payment sent for the three of us a cpl days ago. ;)

14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

15. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Nah they will make him go all hyper that might even be worse