Lashkar Gah 'about to fall to Taliban'

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Latest from Lash...

ANDSF launched raids on Taliban held areas of Lashkar Gah last night, but 'Pashtunist' on twitter said the Taliban had announced the operation had been repulsed and the ANDSF pushed back to the city centre.

http://www.pajhwok.com/en/2016/10/20/new-operation-against-taliban-launched-helmand
Gen. Ahmadzai said the operation codenamed “Qahr-i-Maiwand” was launched last night from Shnah village of Nad Ali district and 15 militants were captured alive. He said the security forces also confiscated arms, ammunition, a vehicle and two motorcycles from the detained militants. He said the spy service special unit, commando forces and police 444 unit had also conducted raids in Lashkargah’s Godar, Muhajiro and 601 road areas, killing three militants.
Operation Qahr-i-Maiwand translates as "Fury (of) Maiwand". For anyone who doesn't know Maiwand is the site of a 2nd Anglo-Afghan War battle in 1880, infamous in Helmand history. "Qahr" is an Uzbek word though, so are these essentially Northern Alliance soldiers in ANDSF uniform?

lash.png

Last edited:
Operation Qahr-i-Maiwand translates as "Fury (of) Maiwand". For anyone who doesn't know Maiwand is the site of a 2nd Anglo-Afghan War battle in 1880, infamous in Helmand history. "Qahr" is an Uzbek word though, so are these essentially Northern Alliance soldiers in ANDSF uniform?
Not specifically Uzbek. Definitely used in Dari/Persian. Might be used in Pashto as well, I'm not sure. But does mean rage, anger, or similar, as you point out.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
BILAL SARWARY‏@bsarwary

#AFG More than 75,mostly ALP forces , are buried under the rubbles of the police HQ of Nawa district after a Humvee full of explosive was detonated. 3 weeks since the suicide attack is carried&still no attempt, by any entities, to dig the corpses out. Failing to address such imminent issues will inevitably have adverse impact on the overall morale of soldiers. @ashrafghani @afgexecutive @ICRC_af @ICRC

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Copied from 'Latest fighting thread':

Lash reputedly still under heavy attack:

Ahmet Yar‏@Pashtunist
- 9:48 AM - 16 Nov 2016
Sources from #Helmand say Taliban launched massive counteroffensive against ANSF in Bolan of Lashkar Gah. More updates to come.

Digital Forensics‏@DreamF4ll
- 2:25 PM - 17 Nov 2016
Days of heavy fighting left dozens of casualties among the #ANDSF&allied militia in Bolan, #Helmandafter insurgents attacked security belt.

Can't find owt to corroborate it on main stream media

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
NUG in Lashkar Gah on it's last legs according to this report. I can't see any other reports to confirm this, though 'Digital Forensics' looks pretty well informed:

Digital Forensics ‏@DreamF4ll
15h15 hours ago
#Bolan, #Bushran last Gov efforts to protect #Lashkargah from west, if tonight #ANDSF thrown into river, will be devastating blow. #Helmand

edited to add this:

'Helmand unrest spilling over into Kandahar'
Nov 19, 2016 - 19:31
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Insecurity has increased in northern districts of southern Kandahar province after clashes between security forces and militants escalated in neighbouring Helmand and Uruzgan provinces, residents say.

NUG in Lashkar Gah on it's last legs according to this report. I can't see any other reports to confirm this, though 'Digital Forensics' looks pretty well informed:

Digital Forensics ‏@DreamF4ll
15h15 hours ago
#Bolan, #Bushran last Gov efforts to protect #Lashkargah from west, if tonight #ANDSF thrown into river, will be devastating blow. #Helmand

edited to add this:

'Helmand unrest spilling over into Kandahar'
Nov 19, 2016 - 19:31
KANDAHAR CITY (Pajhwok): Insecurity has increased in northern districts of southern Kandahar province after clashes between security forces and militants escalated in neighbouring Helmand and Uruzgan provinces, residents say.

Amazingly (but not unexpectedly) not a peep from the Government/ANSF on this. They are in total disarray with their fingers in their ears.