Lashkar Gah 'about to fall to Taliban'

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
While our lovely Western media are riveted to a TV debate about the US Election, in a far off corner of the world
" a country of which the British people know little - and care less "

this is where we are as at 10 October 2016.

Taliban fighters push into Helmand capital Lashkar Gah - BBC News

The BBC's South Asia correspondent, Jill McGivering, said the fall of the city would be a "symbolic disaster" for government forces and the international community.

"For the past fifteen years, Lashkar Gah has been held up by the west as a safe, protected seat of government - a focus for international development, a weapon in the battle for hearts and minds," she said.

"In terms of its propaganda value too, the government and its backers simply can't afford to lose it."

Taliban assault on Kunduz sparks exit of MSF staff

The Taliban’s offensive comes a day before the kick-off of a big conference in Brussels, where foreign donors will pledge aid to Afghanistan for the next four years.

The attacks raise concerns about leadership and coordination problems in the ranks of the Afghan security forces, their ability to repel the Taliban without assistance from Nato and US troops, and the approximately 17,000 Afghan special forces who shuttle between frontlines to shore up defences.

No apologies for posting this here rather than 'Afghanistan -Latest reports'.

The reassertion of Taliban rule across swathes of AFG is news and should be getting wider coverage.

Blame Storm 6, imminent, sea areas (All)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed....but for those who served multiple Herrick tours, a difficult day when the entirely expected Talib takeover happens.

Kapisa is not mentioned -already given up?

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
This is from a week ago, an air strike claim in the province and a denial of it by the Taliban, so i guess it is still being contested.
13 insurgents killed in Nangarhar, Kapisa incidents

And there's certainly a hell of a lot of fighting going on that just isn't reported:
The resulting casualties have stretched Afghan rescue crews thin, with 125 killed and 280 wounded evacuated from 37 areas across the country between Aug. 22 and 29, according to The Washington Post’s Thomas Gibbons-Neff. Total ANSF casualty numbers could be much higher, since Gibbons-Neff’s figures only represent the dead and injured that were air lifted.

Airlift rescues in Afghanistan rose sharply in 2016. The ANSF engaged in 2,727 air rescues from Jan. 1 to April 1, compared to 1,944 during the same time period in 2015.

Read more: The Taliban Is Killing Off Afghan Forces At A Rate Of 18 Per Day

Indeed....but for those who served multiple Herrick tours, a difficult day when the entirely expected Talib takeover happens.

I've always said it would happen within 10 years of us leaving. I thought it would take a little more than just shy of two years though.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
This is the most recent update i can find - attack has been repulsed, 300 extra commandos deployed to the city and an assurance by General Nicholson (on Saturday) that “Lashkar Gah will not fall.”

Taliban enters capital of Helmand province after weeks of fighting
Government forces pushed them out after several hours, and officials declared the situation under control, but by then some panicked residents had fled the beleaguered city, and the psychological damage had been done. The Taliban had not raised their flag over Lashkar Gah, but they had come awfully close.
But this report suggests the fighting might be on going:

http://en.prothom-alo.com/international/news/124787/Troops-deployed-in-Lashkar-Gah-after-attack
Provincial spokesman Omar Zwak told AFP the commandos were sent from Kabul and neighbouring provinces to launch a “clearance operation” in Lashkar Gah after the attack, which killed 10 policemen and four others.

“Soon the security forces will clear the whole city from Taliban,” Zwak said.

This is the most recent update i can find - attack has been repulsed, 300 extra commandos deployed to the city and an assurance by General Nicholson (on Saturday) that “Lashkar Gah will not fall.”

Taliban enters capital of Helmand province after weeks of fighting

But this report suggests the fighting might be on going:

http://en.prothom-alo.com/international/news/124787/Troops-deployed-in-Lashkar-Gah-after-attack
Nice to see that you can post about Afghanistan without moonhowling. It makes a very refreshing change.

What an utter disappointment. I hope that with the army seemingly shrinking into a home defence force, we never embark upon another such pointless waste of blood and treasure again, barring existential threats of course

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
This is being reported on twitter - an ANA convoy ambushed, i think yesterday in co-ordination with the suicide attack inside Lashkar Gah. The VBSIED (vehicle borne suicide IED) arrived in an armoured humvee according to another twitter post.

أبو أسامة‏@_Khorasanee1

Large number of Afghan soldiers killed & wounded (100+) as well as dozens taken as POW in Bashran, southern edge of Lashkar Gah. #Helmand

Ahmet Yar‏@Pashtunist

Taliban fighters close to Basharan cemetery of Lashkargah stormed a large ANSF convoy, claims of killing dozens & taking POWs. #Helmand

Asfandyar Bhittani‏@BhittaniKhannnn

Asfandyar Bhittani Retweeted Ahmet Yar

Afghan Army Surrenders Truck Load Of Weapons To Afghan Taliban in #Badghis, After This & #Kunduz, Retreat At Lashkar Gah Next? #helmand

And this one from 8 hours ago, this one from a well known & reputable source (from what i've seen)​

Bilal Sarwary‏@bsarwary

#AFG A source Baba Jee Lashkargah,at least 15 policemen killed&22 injured.Some police abandoned posts.Because they were out of ammunitions.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Kudos to the BBC for reporting it at all. Where is @CarolineWyatt when you need her?

32mBen Anderson‏ @benjohnanderson
large number of commandos arrived to help. Far from secure though

Last edited:

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Kudos to the BBC for reporting it at all. Where is @CarolineWyatt when you need her?
At least the Helmandis will know to return their Samsung Galaxy phone if they listen to the World Service - that is genuinely the BBC's current (last 12 hrs) world headline.

It is ******* unreal. Excuse my language.

I'd be lying if I said our speedy reverse out of Basra a few years back and what followed didn't/doesn't leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

However this time round it doesn't come as a shock at all as if we are honest, unlike on the early Telics we were already being embarrassed in front of our contemporaries on the early Herricks so the writing was on the wall from the get go.

Don't take it personally and treat it for what it was or you'll end up grinding your teeth at night.

Moving towards final victory for ISI and Rawalpindi, I guess as last time when the Sov's pulled out Kabul and immediate area will hold out for a few more years. As posters have observed it is amazing that no coverage is going out over this but then there is none of Yemen either, but plenty berating us for not invading Syria to 'rescue' Aleppo.

I doubt the 'media' as we were brought up to understand it will survive the current levels of blatant manipulation.

Care to elaborate?*

*Genuinely interested in this point.
Will do but later on as I have some media manipulation to finish ;-)

I said years ago this is what would happen when we leave. It`s going to end just like Vietnam. We can drag it out for a couple of years by providing air support but once we stop that it will go tits up within months. anyone know where Karsai is with his millions of aid Money ?