LASER shooting thingy

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by smiffy_the_ferret, Jul 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Back in the Mid-90s I went to the gun show at the NEC. At one "have a go" stand (near the airgun range) there was a dude demonstrating an electronic training aid.

There was this fairly bulky assembly you clipped under the barrel of an unloaded gun. The device then detected the vibration of the hammer dropping and "fired" a LASER beam at an electronic target. The target contained a set of photo-receptors and relayed the "impact point" to a PC, which recorded the positions of the shots in the string & could print out your group along with a string of numbers such as group diameter, X and Y dimension of the group, score etc.

At the time I didn't give it any further thought, as I was having too much fun with airguns.

I'm thinking about it again now. And I have a question for those who may have kept their ears closer to the ground in the last few years.

Has this technology been developed into less clunky form?

Is it affordable?

Could you mount the sender onto a de-ac pistol? I'd heard that post-95 de-acs have badly bugerred-up trigger ramps, assuming the hammer drops at all.

2. Sorry it's been three years...

No.

The technology I'm after is pretty much this:

LaserLyte — Laser Training

Anyone know if anyone sells something similar in the UK or EU?

3. Anschutz sell one. Lots and lots of others do too, particularly in the civilian pistol, rifle and shotgun markets.

Edited to add:
    Why not just buy a laserlyte system?

4. There are two serious systems on the market for target shooters.

The first of these systems was SCATT, which was a Russian-developed system that has an emitter at the target end, and a sensor strapped to the rifle.

Several others turned up soon after - RIKA, which always (from a UK point of view) seemed to be a slightly cheaper system aimed primarily at air rifle shooters. My experience is with SCATT (I own one) and NOPTEL, a Finnish system that had the emitter and sensor strapped to the rifle, and a reflector on the target.

NOPTEL tried to move beyond the SCATT by allowing you to do live firing; with some (rather expensive) glass corner reflectors down-range, you could train at 50m. SCATT has since caught up by releasing a 50m kit. They are like stripped-down SAT / DCCT, but with fewer sensors (if my decade-out-of-date memory is correct, SAT/DCCT had a cant angle sensor, butt pressure sensor, trigger pressure sensor - only the trigger sensor is available for the SCATT, as an optional and rarely-bought extra)

That's the hardware; but the software is just as important. SCATT had a better analysis interface, NOPTEL was easier to set up and zero. Again, each has improved.

These are part-task trainers, and part-task analysis tools; the mistake comes when you try to map "performance on trainer" onto "performance on range". It's an approximation. These are serious pieces of equipment that cost over a grand each, and IMHO they come into their own in two places:

- coaching the beginner, and ironing out basic errors as quickly as possible
    - providing analysis to the advanced shooter, who's trying to compare differences in equipment (can I point the rifle more steadily in setup A or B) or technique (has the past week's work on X given me a measurable improvement in hold).

These things allow you to train more efficiently. As we all know, "training hard" isn't always as effective as "training smart". They don't replace training, and they can be misused to give false lessons. They can be a sod to set up properly, and work best with repeated use. But with sensible use, and a good understanding of their limitations and the mechanics of shooting, they can make a real difference to your technique.

http://www.noptel.fi/eng/sport/
    http://www.scatt.com/

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)